Nassau Bay, Texas
|Nassau Bay, Texas|
Lakeside houses in Nassau Bay
Location of Nassau Bay, Texas
|• Total||1.7 sq mi (4.4 km2)|
|• Land||1.3 sq mi (3.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.4 sq mi (1.0 km2)|
|Elevation||16 ft (5 m)|
|• Density||2,400/sq mi (910/km2)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC–6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC–5)|
|ZIP codes||77058, 77258|
|GNIS feature ID||1388574|
Nassau Bay is a city in Harris County, Texas, United States, bordering the southeastern edge of the city of Houston. It is located in the Clear Lake Area near Galveston Bay, directly adjacent to the Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center. The population was 4,002 at the 2010 census. The current mayor is Mark Denman.
Nassau Bay is located at .(29.544463, -95.089558)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.7 square miles (4.4 km2), of which 1.3 square miles (3.4 km2) is land and 0.4 square miles (1.0 km2), or 22.81%, is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 4,170 people, 2,049 households, and 1,213 families residing in the city. The population density was 3,146.0 people per square mile (1,210.6/km²). There were 2,243 housing units at an average density of 1,692.2 per square mile (651.1/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 89.64% White, 3.91% Asian, 2.23%of multi-racial background, 1.87% African American,1.68% from other races, 0.50% Native American, and 0.17% Pacific Islander. Hispanic or Latino of any race accounted for 6.28% of the population.
There were 2,049 households out of which 17.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 49.5% were married couples living together, 7.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 40.8% were non-families. 35.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.04 and the average family size was 2.59.
In the city the population was spread out with 15.3% under the age of 18, 6.8% from 18 to 24, 25.4% from 25 to 44, 34.4% from 45 to 64, and 18.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 47 years. For every 100 females there were 97.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 97.3 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $57,353, and the median income for a family was $77,252. Males had a median income of $52,295 versus $38,819 for females. The per capita income for the city was $39,113. About 3.0% of families and 4.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 6.3% of those under age 18 and 4.8% of those age 65 or over.
Primary and secondary schools
Prior to the 2006–2007 school year, Nassau Bay was zoned to Falcon Pass Elementary School (Houston).
Government and infrastructure
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Nassau Bay city, Texas". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved June 15, 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- District 2 Map. Clear Creek Independent School District. Retrieved on December 6, 2008.
- "School Board Members: Bios and Contact Information." Clear Creek Independent School District. Retrieved on December 6, 2008.
- "Post Office Location - NASSAU BAY." United States Postal Service. Retrieved on December 6, 2008.
- Nassau Bay, TX, official city website. http://www.nassaubay.com/sister_city.htm
- Gwynne, S.C. "Bob Perry Needs a Hug." Texas Monthly. April 2007. p. 2. Retrieved on June 20, 2014. "He lives in a stately, 13,874-square-foot, eight-bedroom, dun-colored stucco house with four big pillars in the town of Nassau Bay, southeast of Houston, on a narrow bayou called Clear Creek a few miles from NASA at Clear Lake. He has lived there for thirty years. Aside from a small crop of large homes, the neighborhood is pretty solidly middle class. Nothing fancy. The house is appraised by Harris County at $662,010, though most of the houses around it are in the $200,000 range. He is an ardent pro-lifer and a member of the Nassau Bay Baptist Church."