Nasty Girl (Vanity 6 song)
|Single by Vanity 6|
|from the album Vanity 6|
|B-side||"Drive Me Wild"|
|Format||7", 12" Vinyl Single|
|Length||5:12 (Album Version)
2:55 (Single Version)
|Producer||Prince (as The Starr Company)|
|Vanity 6 singles chronology|
"Nasty Girl" is a song written by Prince for his protégé girl group Vanity 6. Prince gave the songwriting credit to lead singer Vanity, although he was the writer and composer. It was the second single taken from their self-titled debut album Vanity 6 and was released in 1982.
The backing music was performed by The Time. Due to the song's explicit lyrics, "Nasty Girl" met with resistance on mainstream American radio, peaking within the U.S. Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles chart. It did however become a sizable hit on U.S. R&B radio and it hit number one on the U.S. Hot Dance Club Play chart. The song was knocked off the number one position by Prince's "1999".
Lead singer Vanity, who is now a Christian preacher, has denounced the song and told the members of her congregation who listen to "Nasty Girl" to "keep praying for the Holy Spirit".
- U.S. 7"
- "Nasty Girl" (2:55)
- "Drive Me Wild" (2:30)
- U.S. 12" Promo
- "Nasty Girl" (LP version) (5:12)
- "Nasty Girl" (Single version) (2:55)
|U.S. Billboard Hot Black Singles||7|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Dance Club Play||1|
|U.S. Billboard Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles||1|
Inaya Day version
|Single by Inaya Day|
|Inaya Day singles chronology|
Inaya Day's 2004 cover of the song became quite popular. It was released in Australia, peaking at number 18 and remaining on the chart for 11 weeks  there and hit #1 on the ARIA Club chart. It was released in the UK the same year, peaking at number nine on the UK Singles Chart.
- "Nasty Girl" (Ivan Gough Radio Edit)
- "Nasty Girl" (Mousse T & So Phat Club Mix)
- "Nasty Girl" (John Course & Mr Timothy ReRub)
- "Nasty Girl" (Luke Bowditch Mix)
- "Nasty Girl" (Phuture Grooves: Ajax & Damon Boyd Mix)
- "Nasty Girl" (Wei-Shen & Marcos Mix)
|Australian ARIA Chart||18|
|UK Singles Chart||9|
Other cover versions
- In 1993, rap trio Nuttin' Nyce covered the song for their album Down 4 Whateva....
- In 1997, Dutch girl group Sex U All released their version of the song.
- In 2001 Producer Pharell sampled the song for Britney Spears hit "Slave For You"
- In 2008, pop singer Lene Alexandra covered the song for her album Welcome To The Sillycone Valley.
- Lil' Kim performed the song on her European tour in 2009.
- Jazmine Sullivan sampled the song on "Don't Make Me Wait Too Long" from her album Love Me Back
Appearances in other media
- "Nasty Girl" was used as a sample for Japanese rapper, Twigy's song "Righ' Now."
- "Nasty Girl" was featured in the 1983 film, Private School, starring Phoebe Cates, the 1984 box office hit, Beverly Hills Cop and the 1996 film Girl 6, directed by Spike Lee.
- "Song credits". Discogs.
- "Vanity denounces music that made her famous". Jet. 30 Jun 1997. p. 32.
- Whitburn, Joel (2005). Bubbling Under The Billboard Hot 100 1959-2004 (2nd ed.). Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin: Record Research Inc. p. 277. ISBN 0-89820-162-4.
- Australians-charts Inaya Day
- Australian Charts
"Don't Go" by Yazoo
|Billboard Hot Dance Club Play number-one single
November 6, 1982
"1999" by Prince