|Birth name||Natalia Rosalía Luis Bassa|
July 13, 1966 |
Caracas, Distrito Capital, Venezuela
|Associated acts||Orquesta Sinfonica de Falcon
Natalia Luis-Bassa (born July 13, 1966, Caracas, Venezuela) is a conductor who lives and works in England, where she is Musical Director of the Haffner Orchestra in Lancaster and the Hallam Sinfonia in Sheffield.
Since winning the second prize at the Maazel-Vilar Conductor's Competition in New York, she has worked both in the United Kingdom and abroad with orchestras including the Orquesta Sinfónica Venezuela, Scottish Chamber Orchestra, Paragon Ensemble, Bombay Chamber Orchestra, Huddersfield Philharmonic Orchestra, Filamónica Nacional, Royal Oman Symphony Orchestra, the Simón Bolívar Youth Orchestra of Venezuela and the National Children's Orchestra of Great Britain where she is now a conducting tutor.
She read music at the University Institute of Musical Studies (IUDEM), an institution that belongs to the Venezuelan musical system, being the first person to obtain a degree in Orchestral Conducting in her native country. She was appointed music director of the Orquesta Sinfónica de Falcón and after some years she completed her studies at the Royal College of Music in London, holding the RCM Junior Fellowship in Opera Conducting for two years.
Natalia also works with the National Children's Orchestra of Great Britain, conducting the London Regionals and runs the Conductor's Course. She also conducted the Main Orchestra playing Danzon No. 2 by Arturo Márquez in the Summer Concert of 2011, and she is renowned among the NCO for her flamboyant conducting.
Her father, Germinal, was born in Barcelona, Spain. As a child, during the Spanish Civil War, he had to escape from Barcelona and went to France, the United States, Argentina and finally Venezuela where he married Lillian, a Venezuelan whose parents were Spanish. Both of them are opera and zarzuela lovers. She grew up in a house full of music with her two sisters. Luis-Bassa now lives in West Yorkshire, the "Last of the Summer Wine" county.
- "Elgar Prize". Elgar Society. 2008-02-09. Retrieved 2008-05-29.
- "Eight passionate amateurs bid to become BBC Two's Maestro" (Press release). BBC. 2008-05-23. Retrieved 2008-05-24.
- "Professor of Conducting". Royal College of Music. 2009. Retrieved 2011-10-18.
- Germinal Luis, We Came Alone, Fundación Españoles en el Mundo, 2008, p.199.
|Music Director, Haffner Orchestra
|Music Director, Hallam Sinfonia
- Natalia's website
- Natalia Luis-Bassa's Blog
- Haffner Orchestra, Lancaster
- Hallam Sinfonia, Sheffield
- Facebook FanPage
- National Children's Orchestra of Great Britain
- BBC Mundo Interview (in Spanish)
- Elgar Society
- Fundacion Calcaño (in Spanish)
- Maazel-Vilar Conducting Competition
- Natalia's Video, Elgar Second Symphony Part I