Natalie Venetia Belcon
|Natalie Venetia Belcon|
|Born||Natalie Venetia Belcon
April 5, 1969
Natalie Venetia Belcon (born April 5, 1969) is a Trinidad-born American actress and singer. She is best known for originating the role of former child television star Gary Coleman in the Tony Award-winning Broadway musical Avenue Q. Her other Broadway credits include the role of Joanne Jefferson in Rent and Erzulie in Once on This Island.
She appeared as Columbina in the world premiere of the musical The Glorious Ones (based on the novel of the same name by Francine Prose) at the Pittsburgh Public Theater in April 2007. She appeared Off-Broadway in the same role later in 2007, in which a reviewer commented that her "seductive presence is matched by her smoky voice."
Belcon has performed in various productions and workshops of The Last Smoker in America, an original 4 character musical by Bill Russell and Peter Melnick, which received its world premiere at CATCO in Columbus, OH. A workshop production was previously presented in the 2009 New York Musical Theatre Festival. The Last Smoker in America began performances Off-Broadway at the Westside Theatre on July, 11 2012 and closed in September 2012.
Belcon was last seen in 2007 as an HR Rep in Damages (TV Series). Before this she was seen in Johnny and the Sprites until its end with her Avenue Q co-star, John Tartaglia. She plays Gwen, the neighbor of Tartaglia's character, Johnny T.
She has also had recurring roles on the television shows The Education of Max Bickford, Beverly Hills, 90210 and Roc, and appeared as a guest star on The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Martin and The Cosby Show.
- "Bubbly Black Girl Recording Will Be Released on April 3". TheatreMania. Retrieved 2007-04-02.
- "Belcon, Kelly, Powers, Schoeffler, et al. Set for The Glorious Ones". TheatreMania. Retrieved 2007-04-02.
- Isherwood, Charles (6 November 2007). "Those Smutty, Nutty Kids With Heart, Treading the Boards in Merry Olde Italy". New York Times. Retrieved 2008-07-14.
- Cast matildathemusical.com
- "Carnegie Mellon Alumni Win Tony Awards". Carnegie Mellon Today. Retrieved 2007-04-01.
- Natalie Venetia Belcon at the Internet Broadway Database
- Natalie Venetia Belcon at the Internet Movie Database
- Biography from the Avenue Q Web site.
- The Glorious Ones information from the Pittsburgh Public Theater.