Aké playing for Chelsea in 2013
|Full name||Nathan Benjamin Aké|
|Date of birth||18 February 1995|
|Place of birth||The Hague, Netherlands|
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|Playing position||Defender / Midfielder|
|ADO Den Haag|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 11 May 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
Nathan Benjamin Aké (born 18 February 1995) is a Dutch professional footballer who plays for Chelsea and the Netherlands under-21 team. He is a versatile player and can be deployed as a central defender, a holding midfielder, or as a left back.
Aké made his Premier League début on 26 December 2012 against Norwich City as a 17 year old, replacing Juan Mata in the final stages. He made his first start for the club in the FA Cup on 27 February 2013, in a 2–0 win against Championship side Middlesbrough. He was chosen to start in a defensive midfield position for Chelsea in the second leg of their Europa League quarter-final clash with Rubin Kazan in Russia on 11 April, a match that finished in a 3-2 loss for Chelsea but resulted in a 5-4 aggregate victory. He made his second European appearance for the club on 2 May, replacing David Luiz in the 3-1 second-leg defeat of Basel, securing Chelsea a spot in the Europa League final. Aké was an unused substitute for Chelsea in the Europa League final against Benfica in Amsterdam on 16 May, which Chelsea won 2-1 on the night. He was voted Chelsea's Young Player of the Year on 16 May 2013. He made his first Premier League start for Chelsea on 19 May 2013 in the 2-1 win against Everton and played the whole match on the last day of the season at Stamford Bridge.
Nathan has represented Netherlands at U17 and U19 level. He has captained both sides, earning praise for his performances in midfield for the U17s. Ake was selected into both squads that won the UEFA European under-17 championships in 2011 and 2012 in Serbia and in Slovenia respectively.
- As of match played 11 May 2014
|Club||Season||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Other||Total|
- Chelsea Young Player of the Year: 2012–13
- "Clubs submit retained and released lists". Premier League. 7 June 2013. Retrieved 24 July 2013.
- "Player Profile: Nathan Aké". Premier League. Retrieved 15 February 2012.
- "Player profile: Nathan Ake, Chelsea, defender". ITV Sport. 13 May 2013.
- "Nathan Aké, oud Wilhelmus Jeugd speler, definitief naar Chelsea FC" (in Dutch). V.V. Wilhelmus. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- Phillips, Owen. "Norwich 0-1 Chelsea". BBC Sport. Retrieved 26 December 2012.
- "Middlesbrough 0-2 Chelsea" BBC Sport. 27 February 2013. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- "Chelsea struggle to finish off Rubin Kazan but reach semi-finals". The Guardian. 11 April 2013.
- "Chelsea secured their place in the Europa League final against Benfica with an ultimately comfortable win over FC Basel at Stamford Bridge". BBC Sport. 2 May 2013.
- "Benfica 1 Chelsea 2". The Sun. 15 May 2013.
- "New Deal for Aké". Chelsea F.C. 8 Aug 2013.
- "Captain Aké learns from Chelsea stars". UEFA. Retrieved 14 May 2012.
- "Nathan Ake". Soccerbase. Retrieved 29 May 2014.
- Chelsea F.C. profile
- Nathan Aké career stats at Soccerbase
- Nathan Aké – UEFA competition record
- Netherlands stats at OnsOranje (Dutch)