Aké playing for Chelsea in 2013
|Full name||Nathan Benjamin Aké|
|Date of birth||18 February 1995|
|Place of birth||The Hague, Netherlands|
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|ADO Den Haag|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 11 May 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
Aké made his Premier League début on 26 December 2012 against Norwich City as a 17-year-old, replacing Juan Mata in added time. He made his first start for the club in the FA Cup on 27 February 2013, in a 2–0 win against Championship side Middlesbrough. He was chosen to start in a defensive midfield position for Chelsea in the second leg of their Europa League quarter-final clash with Rubin Kazan in Russia on 11 April, a match that finished in a 3–2 loss for Chelsea but resulted in a 5–4 aggregate victory. He made his second European appearance for the club on 2 May, replacing David Luiz in the 3–1 second-leg defeat of Basel, securing Chelsea a spot in the Europa League final. Aké was an unused substitute for Chelsea in the Europa League final against Benfica in Amsterdam on 16 May, which Chelsea won 2–1 on the night. He was voted Chelsea's Young Player of the Year on 16 May 2013. He made his first Premier League start for Chelsea on 19 May 2013 in the 2–1 win against Everton and played the whole match on the last day of the season at Stamford Bridge.
On 8 August 2013, Aké signed a new five-year contract with Chelsea which keeps him at the club until 2018. He continued his development with the U-21's side and made his single appearance in the 2013–14 season as a substitute in Chelsea's final Premier League match on 11 May, a 2–1 win over Cardiff City.
Following his permanent promotion to the first team, Aké made his first appearance of the season and first start under José Mourinho in Chelsea's 2–1 League Cup Third Round victory over Bolton Wanderers on 24 September 2014.
On 21 October 2014, Aké made his Champions League debut from the bench, coming into the game for Cesc Fabregas in the 60th minute during the 6–0 win over Maribor at Stamford Bridge. In his 30 minute appearance, he provided an assist for Eden Hazard's second goal.
On 28 October 2014, Aké continued his league cup run, starting against Shrewsbury Town; the game ended in a 2-1 win for Chelsea.
Aké has represented the Netherlands at every youth level since his Under-15 début in 2009, making 54 appearances in total. He has captained both the U-17 and the U-19 sides. Aké was selected into both squads that won the UEFA European under-17 championships in 2011 and 2012 in Serbia and in Slovenia respectively.
Style of play
Nathan has been praised for his versatility due to be being able to play at left back, centre back and in a defensive midfield role. This versatility is a result of his good work ethic and professionalism combined with his gifted technique. His playing style and appearance have led to comparisons being drawn with former Dutch legend and Chelsea player Ruud Gullit.
- As of match played 21 October 2014
|Club||Season||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Europe||Other||Total|
- Chelsea Young Player of the Year: 2012–13
- "Clubs submit retained and released lists". Premier League. 7 June 2013. Retrieved 24 July 2013.
- "Player Profile: Nathan Aké". Premier League. Retrieved 15 February 2012.
- "Chelsea spark Feyenoord fury as Blues lure 15-year-old defender Nathan Ake to London". Daily Mail. 22 Dec 2010.
- "Nathan Aké, oud Wilhelmus Jeugd speler, definitief naar Chelsea FC" (in Dutch). V.V. Wilhelmus. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- Phillips, Owen. "Norwich 0–1 Chelsea". BBC Sport. Retrieved 26 December 2012.
- "Middlesbrough 0–2 Chelsea" BBC Sport. 27 February 2013. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- "Chelsea struggle to finish off Rubin Kazan but reach semi-finals". The Guardian. 11 April 2013.
- "Chelsea secured their place in the Europa League final against Benfica with an ultimately comfortable win over FC Basel at Stamford Bridge". BBC Sport. 2 May 2013.
- "Benfica 1 Chelsea 2". The Sun. 15 May 2013.
- "New Deal for Aké". Chelsea F.C. 8 Aug 2013.
- "Cardiff City 1–2 Chelsea". BBC Sport. 11 May 2014.
- "Chelsea 2–1 Bolton". BBC Sport. 24 September 2014.
- "Didier Drogba scored his first goal since rejoining Chelsea as they recorded their biggest Champions League win with a dominant victory against Maribor at Stamford Bridge.". BBC Sport. 21 October 2014. Retrieved 21 October 2014.
- "Chelsea needed a late own goal to spare potential embarrassment against gutsy League Two side Shrewsbury and reach the League Cup quarter-finals.". BBC Sport. 27 October 2014. Retrieved 11 December 2014.
- "N. AKÉ". SOCCERWAY. Retrieved 26 Sep 2014.
- "Captain Aké learns from Chelsea stars". UEFA. Retrieved 14 May 2012.
- "Ruud boy: Chelsea youth star Ake is a mini Gullit with his dreadlocks and cool head". Daily Mail. Retrieved 14 Feb 2013.
- "Nathan Ake". Soccerbase. Retrieved 29 May 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nathan Aké.|
- Chelsea F.C. profile
- Nathan Aké career stats at Soccerbase
- Nathan Aké – UEFA competition record
- Netherlands stats at OnsOranje (Dutch)