|Born||February 9, 1973|
|Other names||Nate Barr|
|Occupation||Film and television composer|
Nathan Barr (born February 9, 1973; also known as Nate Barr) is a film and television composer known for playing the majority of the instruments heard in his compositions. While he is best known for scoring all seven seasons of HBO's Emmy Award-winning series, True Blood, Barr has recently composed music for FX's The Americans and Netflix's Hemlock Grove. On July 18, 2013, Barr garnered a double Emmy nomination for "Outstanding Original Main Title Theme Music" based on his work on The Americans and Hemlock Grove.
Nathan Barr started studying music in Tokyo, Japan at the age of four. His interest in music and collecting rare and unusual instruments lead him to travel all over the world. He has said he owns a trumpet made out of a human femur and a set of bagpipes out of a pig's belly. Barr studied at Skidmore College, and in 1993 toured Italy and Switzerland with the Juilliard Cello Ensemble.
In 1996, Barr moved to Los Angeles to pursue a career in composing film and television scores. One of his first jobs was working under the tutelage of world-renowned composer, Hans Zimmer, on films such as As Good as It Gets and The Prince of Egypt. Shortly thereafter, he branched out on his own and landed his first solo-venture on the Lionsgate comedy Too Smooth. Since then, Barr has scored a large array of feature films and TV series, most notably scoring all episodes of HBO's hit series True Blood.
- Crazy Connected Thing
- Beyond the Mat
- Fear (TV Series)
- The Virginian (TV Movie)
- From Dusk Till Dawn 3: The Hangman's Daughter
- Red Dirt
- Double Down
- Open Water (composer: additional music)
- Briar Patch
- Club Dread
- The Slammin' Salmon
- Peep World
- The Last Exorcism
- Hood to Coast
- Open House
- D., Spence. "Nathan Barr - The Dukes of Hazzard Original Film Score". IGN. Retrieved 8 August 2013.
- Sobol, Gianna. "Q&A with Composer Nathan Barr". Inside True Blood Blog. Retrieved 8 August 2013.
- Staff. "Nathan Barr Scoring FX's 'The Americans'". Film Music Reporter. Retrieved 8 August 2013.
- Staff. "Hemlock Grove Set to Have Grisly Creature Effects". Fans of Horror Movies. Retrieved 8 August 2013.
- Gallo, Phil. "Emmy Noms Salute 'The Voice,' HBO Music Biopics and Composers". Billboard. Retrieved 8 August 2013.
- "Nathan Barr at Comic-Con 2010".
- "OUT100: 2010 Out 100 Portfolio". OUT Magazine.
- BMI. "2010 BMI Film/TV Awards Winners". Broadcast Music Incorporated. Retrieved 2010-05-20.
- BMI. "BMI Film & Television Awards Tout Composers of Year’s Top Film, Television, & Cable Music". Broadcast Music Incorporated. Retrieved 2009-09-06.
- BMI. "2006 BMI Film & Television Awards". BMI. Retrieved 2009-01-05.