Nathan for You
|Nathan for You|
|Created by||Nathan Fielder
|Directed by||Nathan Fielder|
|Theme music composer||Two Steps From Hell|
|Opening theme||"Heart of Courage"|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||16 (List of episodes)|
|Running time||21 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Abso Lutely Productions|
|Original channel||Comedy Central|
|Picture format||1080i (16:9 HDTV)|
|Original run||February 28, 2013– present|
Nathan for You is an American docu-reality comedy television series starring Canadian comedian Nathan Fielder. The series was co-created by Fielder and premiered on February 28, 2013 on the American cable television network Comedy Central. In the series, Fielder plays an off-kilter version of himself, who tries to use his business background and life experiences to help struggling companies and people, offering them sometimes-outlandish strategies.
The series premiere garnered 354,000 viewers, improving in its second episode to 570,000. A special Sneak Peek episode that aired on March 13, 2013 after an episode of Workaholics further increased viewership, ending up at 615,000. The following episode, airing on March 14, had 428,000 viewers. The next week on March 21, ratings further took a dip, landing at 394,000 viewers. On April 26, 2013, Comedy Central renewed the series for a second season of 8 episodes. On July 26, 2014, Comedy Central renewed the series for a third season. 
Two stunts performed for the series have resulted in attention from the mainstream media, one occurring before Nathan for You even premiered.
Petting Zoo Hero
As part of the second episode, Fielder and the show's crew attempted to boost the popularity of a California petting zoo by turning one of their pigs into a celebrity, by filming a hoax video of the pig (actually a trained stand-in pig following a plastic course placed beneath the surface) rescuing a goat who was stuck in a river, and putting the video on YouTube. The video was put online in September 2012, and succeeded well beyond the show's expectations, receiving over seven million hits and getting played on various national news broadcasts, including the NBC Nightly News. The hoax was finally revealed in February 2013, before the series premiered.
Over the weekend of February 7, 2014, a coffee shop known as "Dumb Starbucks" opened in Los Feliz. The shop heavily resembled those of the chain Starbucks and used a modified version of its logo, the names of all of its products were prefixed with "Dumb", and the shop also offered CDs of "Dumb Jazz Standards" and "Dumb Nora Jones [sic] Duets". The shop argued that it was actually an art gallery for "legal reasons", because "by adding the word 'dumb' we are technically 'making fun' of Starbucks, which allows us to use their trademarks under a law known as 'fair use.'" After attracting a large lineup of curious attendees over the weekend, it was speculated that the store was a hoax connected to a television program; on the following Monday, a press conference held at Dumb Starbucks revealed that the store was a Nathan for You stunt. The Los Angeles Health Department closed the shop for operating without a permit.
|Season||Episodes||Season premiere||Season finale|
|1||8||February 28, 2013||April 18, 2013|
|2||8||July 1, 2014||August 19, 2014|
Season 1 (2013)
|Total||#||Title||Original air date||Production
|1||1||"Yogurt Shop / Pizzeria"||February 28, 2013||101||0.35|
|In the series premiere, Nathan helps a frozen yogurt shop regain customers by coming up with a new, "buzzworthy" flavor for them. Later, he helps a pizzeria boost sales through an unusual "8 Minutes or Less" guarantee.|
|2||2||"Santa / Petting Zoo"||March 7, 2013||102||0.57|
|Nathan discovers the professional Santa he's helping has a criminal record, and attempts to promote a petting zoo with a viral video. Meanwhile, Nathan attempts to lure a graffiti artist so he can expose them to their parents.|
|3||3||"Clothing Store / Restaurant"||March 14, 2013||104||0.42|
|Nathan tries to help promote a clothing store by allowing "attractive" customers to shoplift from it, and attempts to help a diner by publicizing its bathrooms.|
|4||4||"Gas Station / Caricature Artist"||March 21, 2013||103||0.39|
|Nathan attempts to offer a rebate at a gas station that is extremely difficult (but not impossible) to claim, and tries to make a fledgling caricature artist more famous by having him draw offensive images.|
|5||5||"Haunted House / The Hunk"||March 28, 2013||107||0.46|
|Nathan makes a haunted house scarier by convincing visitors that they had contracted an airborne disease, and tries to become less awkward around women by dating several of them at once on a fake reality show.
Note: This episode also aired as a special "Sneak Peek" after Workaholics on March 13, 2013.
|6||6||"Funeral Home / Burger Joint / Skydiving"||April 4, 2013||106||0.44|
|Nathan helps a struggling funeral home, a burger joint is forced to stand by its claim that it has the best burger in Los Angeles, and Nathan attempts to go skydiving.|
|7||7||"The Claw of Shame"||April 11, 2013||105||0.51|
|Nathan attempts to escape from handcuffs before a robotic arm pulls his pants down in front of children (and a police officer arrests him for indecent exposure), and highlights failed ideas from the first season.|
|8||8||"Private Investigator / Taxi Company"||April 18, 2013||108||0.45|
|Nathan tries to elude a private investigator, tries to target shy customers on a taxi service, and helps organize a blind date—but is forced to include product placement for Quiznos.|
Season 2 (2014)
|Total||#||Title||Original air date||Production
|9||1||"Mechanic / Realtor"||July 1, 2014||201||0.71|
|Nathan works with an auto mechanic; Nathan tries to rebrand a realtor.|
|10||2||"Souvenir Shop / E.L.A.I.F.F."||July 8, 2014||202||0.51|
Nathan's plans to help a Hollywood souvenir shop end with a surprising outcome.Note: This episode was made available for streaming via the Comedy Central app on iOS devices a week before release.
|11||3||"Pet Store / Maid Service"||July 15, 2014||203||0.68|
Nathan places an ad for a pet store on a gravestone at a pet cemetery, and tries to form the world's fastest maid service by having 40 workers go in a house at once.Note: This episode was made available for streaming via the Comedy Central app on iOS devices a week before release.
|12||4||"Liquor Store / Exterminator / Car Wash"||July 22, 2014||204||0.60|
|Nathan helps a liquor store sell to underage customers; an exterminator.
Note: This episode was made available for streaming via the Comedy Central app on iOS devices a week before release.
|13||5||"Dumb Starbucks"||July 29, 2014||205||0.80|
|Nathan helps a struggling coffee shop by re-branding it as a "parody" of Starbucks.|
|14||6||"Daddy's Watching / Party Planner"||August 5, 2014||206||0.59|
|Nathan helps a dating website attract female users; a party planner; self-motivation.|
|15||7||"Taxi Service / Hot Dog Stand"||August 12, 2014|
|Nathan tries to get press for a taxi company; defending a hot dog stand's reputation.|
|16||8||"Toy Company / Movie Theatre"||August 19, 2014|
|Nathan shows a toy company how to market to children; a movie theater instates a no-sharing policy.|
- "Comedy Central Sets Mid-Season Schedule Featuring New Series And Specials And The Return Of Network Favorites" (Press release). Comedy Central. December 11, 2012. Retrieved March 22, 2013.
- "Thursday's Cable Ratings: 'Swamp People' Tops Third Consecutive Week". The Futon Critic. Retrieved March 22, 2013.
- "Thursday's Cable Ratings: No Stopping 'Swamp People' on History". The Futon Critic. Retrieved March 22, 2013.
- "Wednesday's Cable Ratings: 'Duck Dynasty' Remains Unstoppable for A&E". The Futon Critic. Retrieved March 22, 2013.
- The Futon Critic Staff (March 15, 2013). "Thursday's Cable Ratings: 'Swamp People' Continues Its Reign for History". The Futon Critic. Retrieved March 31, 2013.
- The Futon Critic Staff (March 22, 2013). "Thursday's Cable Ratings: 'Swamp People' Holds Off NCAA Onslaught". The Futon Critic. Retrieved March 31, 2013.
- "Comedy Central Renews 'Nathan For You' & 'The Jeselnik Offensive' For 2nd Seasons". Deadline Hollywood. April 26, 2013. Retrieved April 26, 2013.
- "Comedy Central Renews 'Nathan For You' 3rd Season". Nathan For You Facebook Page. July 26, 2014. Retrieved July 26, 2014.
- Itzkoff, Dave (February 26, 2013). "Really Cute, but Totally Faked". The New York Times.
- "Dumb Starbucks: Comedy Central star Nathan Fielder behind faux cafe". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved February 11, 2014.
- "Dumb Starbucks: Is LA 'parody' coffee shop performance art, TV stunt or a legal dispute waiting to happen?". The Independent. Retrieved February 11, 2014.
- "Dumb Starbucks doesn't amuse health department". Usatoday.com. Retrieved February 11, 2014.
- "'Dumb Starbucks' Shop Appears in L.A.'s Los Feliz". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 11 February 2014.
- "Thursday's Cable Ratings: "Swamp People" Tops Third Consecutive Week". The Futon Critic. March 1, 2013.
- "Thursday's Cable Ratings: No Stopping "Swamp People" on History". The Futon Critic. March 8, 2013.
- "Thursday's Cable Ratings: "Swamp People" Continues Its Reign for History". The Futon Critic. March 15, 2013.
- "Thursday's Cable Ratings: "Swamp People" Holds Off NCAA Onslaught". The Futon Critic. March 22, 2013.
- "Thursday's Cable Ratings: TBS, History Top Charts with NCAA, "Swamp People"". The Futon Critic. March 29, 2013.
- "Thursday's Cable Ratings: Another Thursday, Another "Swamp People" Victory". The Futon Critic. April 5, 2013.
- "Thursday's Cable Ratings: "Swamp People" Back on Top for History". The Futon Critic. April 13, 2013.
- "Thursday's Cable Ratings: "Swamp People" Goes Untouched for History". The Futon Critic. April 19, 2013.
- "Tuesday's Cable Ratings & Broadcast Finals: "America's Got Talent" Continues Its Reign". The Futon Critic. July 2, 2014.
- "Comedy Central's Facebook page". July 1, 2014.
- "Tuesday's Cable Ratings & Broadcast Finals: "Night Shift," "Rizzoli & Isles" Lead Originals". July 9, 2014.
- "Tuesday's Cable Ratings & Broadcast Finals: MLB All-Star Game Lands Top Spot for FOX". July 16, 2014.
- "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'Deadliest Catch', 'Rizzoli & Isles' & 'Pretty Little Liars' Win Night; 'The Haves & The Have Nots', 'Tyrant' & More". July 23, 2014.
- "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'The Haves and the Have Nots' and 'Deadliest Catch' Lead Night + 'Rizzoli & Isles', 'Counting Cars' & More". July 30, 2014.
- "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'Deadliest Catch' Wins Night, 'Pretty Little Liars', 'Rizzoli & Isles', 'Royal Pains', 'Finding Carter' & More". Aug 6, 2014.