Nathan Smith (footballer)
|Full name||Nathan Colin Leslie Smith|
|Date of birth||11 January 1987|
|Place of birth||Enfield, England|
|Height||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|2007–2008||Potters Bar Town||15||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 17:06, 21 February 2015 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
He started his career with part-time London clubs Enfield, Waltham Forest and Potters Bar Town. During his time at these clubs he also worked as a computer analyst before being discovered by League One side Yeovil Town.
Smith started his football career at Enfield joining as a teenager and making 22 appearances, he then had a brief spell at Waltham Forest before signing for Isthmian League side Potters Bar Town. His then manager Steve Browne, an ex-Yeovil player, recommended him along with four others to his former club Yeovil Town.
Smith went on trial in January 2008 with the club appearing in five games before agreeing non-contract terms on 23 March to enable him to make his début the next day away at Hartlepool United as a 61st minute substitute. He then signed a permanent two year professional deal with the club, dropping out of his IT job, he then proceeded to start every game until the end of the season. He scored his first professional goal on 13 December 2008 with a shot from 30 yards in the 4–2 defeat to Stockport County. Smith was offered a new contract at Yeovil but it was stated that Reading, Sheffield United and Ipswich Town were all interested in his services, but despite this, he signed a new contract with Yeovil. He was informed by the club at the end of the 2010/11 season that he was one of seven Yeovil players who would be awarded new contracts.
After rejecting this new contract offer, Smith left Yeovil after 119 appearances and moved to newly promoted side Chesterfield signing a two year contract. Unfortunately, in his first season with the club Smith experienced relegation to Football League Two, during that season he was used primarily as a squad player. In 2012–2013 he experienced his best season at the Proact Stadium, becoming a regular until a broken foot halted his season in March 2013. Despite that Smith was named Player of the Year by both supporters and players. An injury-hit campaign and the arrival of Ritchie Humphreys meant that Smith only started 12 League games in Chesterfield's League 2 Championship season. Smith decided at the end of the season to move back to Yeovil Town on a 2-year deal starting on 1 July 2014.
- As of 21 February 2015.
|Club||Season||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Other||Total|
- Appearances in Football League Trophy
- "Player Details: Nathan Smith". English National Football Archive.
- Hugman, Barry J., ed. (2009). The PFA Footballers' Who's Who 2009–10. Mainstream Publishing. ISBN 978-1-84596-474-0.
- "Tommy’s Rocket Ignites Derby". Boreham Wood F.C. 5 November 2005.
- "Nathan Smith". Potters Bar Town F.C.
- "Slade delight for debutant Smith". BBC Sport. 31 March 2008.
- "Hartlepool United 2–0 Yeovil Town". BBC Sport. 24 March 2008.
- "Yeovil Town 2–4 Stockport County". BBC Sport. 13 December 2008.
- "Smith chase gathers pace". Sky Sports. 8 May 2010.
- "Bowditch, Tomlin and Smith pen new deals at Yeovil Town". BBC Sport. 16 June 2010.
- "Terry Skiverton offers seven new Yeovil Town deals". BBC Sport. 5 May 2011.
- "Nathan Smith leaves Yeovil Town for Chesterfield". BBC Sport. 16 June 2011.
- "Player of the Year Awards". Chesterfield FC. 29 April 2013.
- "Nathan Smith joins and James Hayter signs new deal". BBC Sport. 21 May 2014.
- "Honduras vs. Jamaica – 12 October 2011 2–1". Soccerway. 12 October 2011.
- "Nathan Smith". Soccerbase. Retrieved 27 March 2013.
- "Games played by Nathan Smith in 2007/2008". Soccerbase. Retrieved 27 March 2013.
- "Games played by Nathan Smith in 2008/2009". Soccerbase. Retrieved 27 March 2013.
- "Games played by Nathan Smith in 2009/2010". Soccerbase. Retrieved 27 March 2013.
- "Games played by Nathan Smith in 2010/2011". Soccerbase. Retrieved 27 March 2013.
- "Games played by Nathan Smith in 2011/2012". Soccerbase. Retrieved 27 March 2013.
- "Games played by Nathan Smith in 2012/2013". Soccerbase. Retrieved 27 March 2013.
- "Games played by Nathan Smith in 2013/2014". Soccerbase. Retrieved 27 March 2013.
- "Games played by Nathan Smith in 2014/2015". Soccerbase. Retrieved 12 August 2014.