Stanbury served as Justice of the Peace of Philadelphia County in 1704.
In 1706, Alderman Thomas Story was first elected to the non-paying office of mayor of Philadelphia; when he refused the honor, he was fined twenty pounds. In a second vote, Stanbury was elected to the position, which he accepted.
Stanbury married widow Mary Ewer (née Wills, d. February 25, 1714/5) at Philadelphia on January 31, 1699. They had three children:
- Nathan Stanbury (d. 10 June 1704, Philadelphia).
- Nathan Stanbury (d. 8 June 1712, Philadelphia).
- Mary Stanbury (1705 – 26 October 1778, Philadelphia).
- Young, John Russell (1895). Memorial History of the City of Philadelphia: From Its First Settlement to the year 1895, Volume 1: Narrative and Critical History 1681-1895. NY: New York Historical Company. p. 185.
- "Mayors of the City of Philadelphia 1691-2000". Philadelphia Information Locator Service: The Philadelphia City Archives. Retrieved 27 February 2014.
- "Marriages Authorized by the Philadelphia Monthly Meeting of Friends: 1682-1756". My Roots and Branches: UK to Canada. Retrieved 27 February 2014.