Nathan van Berlo
|Nathan van Berlo|
Nathan van Berlo
|Full name||Nathan van Berlo|
|Date of birth||6 June 1986|
|Place of birth||Perth, Western Australia|
West Perth (WAFL)
|Draft||#24, 2004 National Draft, Adelaide|
|Debut||Round 3, 2005, Adelaide
v. Port Adelaide, at AAMI Stadium
|Height/Weight||184 cm (6 ft 0 in) / 82 kg (12 st 13 lb)|
|Position(s)||Midfielder, tagger, small defender|
1 Playing statistics correct to end of Round 3, 2015 season.
Nathan van Berlo (born 6 June 1986) is a professional Australian rules football player who plays for the Adelaide Football Club in the Australian Football League (AFL). He was drafted by the club with pick #24 in the 2004 National Draft. He was the captain of the Adelaide Football Club from 2011 until 2014.
Van Berlo made his debut in 2005 aged just 18, playing 11 games in the season and averaging just over seven disposals a game. He became a regular the following season, missing five matches due to a broken collarbone but returning to play out the season. In 2007, van Berlo cemented a place in the starting 22, averaging 19 disposals per game and coming equal seventh in the club Best and Fairest. By this stage van Berlo was a regular performer in Adelaide's young midfield noted for his high fitness level.
After the retirement of Simon Goodwin at the end of the 2010 season, van Berlo was selected to become the captain of the club from the 2011 season. He performed solidly in his first year as captain, finishing second in the Malcolm Blight Medal playing in defence and in the midfield. In 2012 he spent most of the season as a tagger, laying more tackles than anyone else at the club while also still ranking fifth at Adelaide for total disposals. He reprised this role in 2013, shutting down some of the competition's most dangerous players such as Brent Harvey and Stephen Hill.
Van Berlo ruptured his right Achilles tendon in a freak training accident prior to the 2014 season. This meant he missed the entire season, although he came close to making a miraculous return in the last few weeks of the season. In January 2015, van Berlo was replaced as captain by Taylor Walker. He remains part of the club's leadership group.
- Statistics are correct to end of Round 3, 2015 season.
|Totals||Averages (per game)|
- Paton, Al (8 December 2010). "Nathan van Berlo to captain Adelaide Crows". Herald Sun. Retrieved 8 December 2010.
- "Nathan van Berlo - AFC.com.au".
- MORGAN, Kym (19 January 2014). "Crows captain Nathan van Berlo's ruptured Achilles tendon likely a freak accident, club says". Herald Sun.
- "Crows name Tex Walker as captain". afl.com.au. Retrieved 14 January 2015.
- "Nathan van Berlo statistics". AFL Tables. Retrieved 23 April 2015.
- Nathan van Berlo's profile on the official website of the Adelaide Football Club
- Nathan van Berlo's statistics from AFL Tables
|Captain of Adelaide F.C.