National APIA Panhellenic Association
|This article relies on references to primary sources. (January 2010)|
|National APIA Panhellenic Association|
|Organization type||Coalition of Members|
The National APIA Panhellenic Association (or NAPA, formerly known as the National Asian Greek Council) is an association of collegiate fraternities and sororities that was formally organized in 2006, although it began in 2005.
The founding organizations officially chartered the National APIA Panhellenic Association on August 12, 2006. The purpose of the association is to create an umbrella organization that can unite Asian Fraternities and Sororities onto common causes and facilitate communication between the various organizations.
Jeanette Moy of Sigma Psi Zeta Sorority and Janelle Hu, former Executive Director of APIA Vote, met while being guest speakers for the Chinese American Intercollegiate Conference in the spring of 2004. Realizing that the Asian Greek community can be a great asset in encouraging APIA youth to vote, a campaign was started between 12 organizations with this purpose. As the various Fraternities and Sororities collaborated, they realized an umbrella organization should be created to encourage future projects. Following the success of the APIA Vote campaign (8,000 people were registered to vote), this coalition redirected its energy towards the Asian Tsunami campaign, with one organization raising over $1,600 in just one event.
The various charter Asian Greek organizations were invited to attend the Organization of Chinese Americans (OCA) National Convention to meet more APIA youth leaders and learn skills to improve their respective campuses. At the convention, representatives decided to name their coalition the National Asian Greek Council to promote a united national front. Alice Siu of Sigma Psi Zeta was appointed the first chair of the National Asian Greek Council. Melissa Montenegro of Delta Phi Lambda and Akash Kuruvilla of Sigma Beta Rho developed the current constitution.
The National Asian Greek Council gained much public notice by being noted as a Silver Sponsor and featured in the brochure of the East Coast Asian American Student Union conference.
As more restructuring was taking place, the name was further changed to National Asian Pacific Islander American Panhellenic Association (NAPA) to represent a coalition governance in place of a council.
- Executive Chair - Brenda Dang, alpha Kappa Delta Phi
- Vice Chair - Phi Nguyen, Lambda Phi Epsilon
- Secretary - Maggie Wong, Sigma Psi Zeta
- Director of Interfraternal Relations - Hannah Seoh, Delta Phi Lambda
- Director of Membership Standards - Anita Lewis, Sigma Psi Zeta
- Director of Public Engagement - Vigor Lam, Pi Delta Psi
- Director of Communications - Kiran Wadhwa, Sigma Sigma Rho
- Past Executive Chair - Brian Gee, Pi Alpha Phi
- NAPA Advisor - Mary Peterson
Note: Positions on the Executive Board not listed here includes the Board of Presidents and the Advisory Board.
The members of the National Asian Pacific Islander American Panhellenic Association are shown below in alphabetical order.
- "NAPA Projects". http://www.napa-online.org. Retrieved 2010-01-24.[dead link]
- "About NAPA". http://www.napa-online.org. Retrieved 2010-01-23.[dead link]
- "NAPA Executive Board". http://www.napa-online.org. Retrieved 2010-01-24.[dead link]