National Alliance to End Homelessness
|Focus(es)||Ending homelessness through policy advocacy, research, and capacity building.|
The National Alliance to End Homelessness is a United States based organization addressing the issue of homelessness. The Alliance provides data and research to policymakers and elected officials in order to inform policy debates. They also work on the local level provide community partners with information on best practices and technical assistance.
In March 2011, the Alliance partnered with 26 leaders from Australia, Canada, the European Union, the United Kingdom, and the United States to create an International Alliance to End Homelessness.
Founding and Structure
In 1983, the National Citizens Committee for Food and Shelter was established to meet the emergency needs of the homeless population. In 1987, the Committee determined that a more comprehensive approach was necessary and created the National Alliance to End Homelessness.
The current President and CEO is Nan Roman. Ms. Roman works with the Board of Directors and the Alliance's staff to execute its mission. Current members of the Board include Susan Baker, Co-Founder,Elizabeth Boyle, Co-Founder; Mike Lowry, Gary M. Parsons, Robert Villency, President Nan Roman, Henry Cisneros, Stephen Coyle, Kenneth M. Duberstein, Jeffery Hayward, G. Allan Kingston, The Honorable John J. LaPalce, Tim Marx, Irene Mabry Moses, D. William Moreau, Norman B. Rice, Michael R. Steed, Robert D. Stillman, and Judy Woodruff. In addition to its board and staff, the Alliance partners with over 10,000 public agencies and community providers.
In 2000, the Alliance released A Plan, Not a Dream: How to End Homelessness in Ten Years. Since the release of this blueprint, there are 234 completed plans to end homelessness across the country.
- National Alliance to End Homelessness Official site.
- A Plan, Not a Dream: How to End Homelessness in Ten Years
- http://www.usich.gov/ The United States Interagency Council on Homelessness, official site.
- Charity Rating Guide and Watchdog Report, Volume Number 59, December 2011
- The New York Times, July 17, 2006 – "Bloomberg Unveils Plan to Reduce Homelessness"
- The New York Times, April 30, 2006 – "Making a Flophouse a Home, and a Decent One at That"
-  The McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act As amended by S. 896 The Homeless Emergency Assistance and Rapid Transition to Housing (HEARTH) Act of 2009
-  PDF | 178 KB | 24 pages National Alliance to End Homelessness A Plan: Not A Dream How to End Homelessness in Ten Years Executive Summary