National Assembly (Kenya)
|The National Assembly|
Francis Nyenze, CORD
since 17 April 2013
Other Parties (17)
|4 March 2013|
|Parliament Buildings, Nairobi, Kenya|
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
House Keeping Committees
- House Business Committee: Parliamentary Calendar – scheduling or programming of the business – issue directives and guidelines to prioritise or postpone any business of the House
- Procedure and House Rules Committee: propose rules for the orderly and effective conduct of committee business
- Liaison Committee: guide and co-ordinate the operations, policies and mandates of all Committees
- Committee on Selection: nominates members to serve in Committees
- Catering and Health Club Committee
- Committee on Appointments: In the absence of the Speaker, the Committee elects a member, from amongst its members to chair the meeting
- Public Accounts Committee: responsible for the examination of the accounts showing the appropriations of the sum voted by the House to meet the public expenditure and of such other accounts
- Public Investments Committee: examine the reports and accounts of the public investments
- Budget and Appropriations Committee: investigate, inquire into and report on all matters related to co-ordination, control and monitoring of the national budget – examine the Budget Policy Statement – examine Bills related to the national budget
- Committee on Implementation: responsible for scrutinising the resolutions of the House (including adopted committee reports), petitions and the undertakings given by the National Executive
- Committee on Delegated Legislation: delegate on statutory instruments submitted to the Assembly
- Committee on Regional Integration: examine the records of all the relevant debates and resolutions of the meetings of the East African Legislative Assembly – inquire into and examine any other matter relating to regional integration generally requiring action by the House
- Defence and Foreign Relations Committee: Defence, intelligence, foreign relations diplomatic and consular services, international boundaries, international relations, agreements, treaties and conventions
- Administration and National Security Committee: National security, police services, home affairs, Public Administration, Public Service, Prisons, Immigration and the management of natural disasters, community service orders
- Agriculture, Livestock and Cooperatives Committee: Agriculture, livestock, irrigation, fisheries development, co-operatives development, production and marketing.
- Environment and Natural Resources Committee: Matters relating to climate change, environment management and conservation, forestry, water resource management, wildlife, mining and natural resources, pollution and waste management.
- Education, Research and Technology Committee: Education, training, research and technological advancement.
- Energy, Communication and Information Committee: Fossil fuels exploration, Development, production, maintenance and regulation of energy, communication, information, broadcasting and Information Communications Technology (ICT) development and management.
- Finance, Planning and Trade Committee: Public finance, monetary policies, public debt, financial institutions, investment and divestiture policies, pricing policies, banking, insurance, population, revenue policies, planning, national development, trade, tourism promotion and management, commerce and industry.
- Health Committee: Matters related to health, medical care and health insurance.
- Justice and Legal Affairs Committee: Constitutional affairs, the administration of law and justice, including the Judiciary, public prosecutions, elections, ethics, integrity and anti-corruption and human rights.
- Labour and Social Welfare Committee: Labour, trade union relations, manpower or human resource planning, gender, culture and social welfare, youth, National Youth Service children’s welfare; national heritage, betting, lotteries and sports.
- Lands Committee: Matters related to lands and settlement.
- Transport, Public Works and Housing Committee: Transport, roads, public works, construction and maintenance of roads, rails and buildings, air, seaports and housing.
- Committee on Constituency Development Fund
- Constitution Implementation Oversight Committee
- Pensions Committee
Joint Committees of the Senate and National Assembly
- Joint Committee on National Cohesion and Equal Opportunity
- Joint Parliamentary Broadcasting and Library Committee
Coalition and Party Summary
Prior to the 2013 elections, the Jubilee Alliance consisted of The National Alliance, United Republican Party, and the National Rainbow Coalition. After the results were announced, Jubilee made post-election agreements with the New Ford Kenya, Alliance Party of Kenya, Chama Cha Uzalendo, Peoples Democratic Party, Ford People, Kenya African National Union, and United Democratic Forum. Reports indicate that two independents, NARC-Kenya, and one member of the Federal Party of Kenya also agreed to work with Jubilee.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Parliament of Kenya.|