National Bank of Serbia
|Established||July 2, 1884|
|Central bank of||Serbia|
RSD (ISO 4217)
|Reserves||15.38 billion USD (December 2013)|
|Interest on reserves||7.25%|
|Economy of Serbia|
The National Bank of Serbia (Serbian: Народна банка Србије / Narodna banka Srbije) is the central bank of Serbia. Founded in 1884, the responsibilities of the bank are: monetary policy, sole issuer of Serbian banknotes and coins, protection of price stability and promotion of stability of the financial system within Serbia. The current governor of the bank is Jorgovanka Tabaković.
The bank was originally established on July 2, 1884 as the Privileged National Bank of the Kingdom of Serbia. It was modeled after the National Bank of Belgium, considered at the time to be at the forefront of modern banking institutions. The first governor of the bank was Aleksa Spasić. Following the First World War, the bank underwent several changes as the country expanded and eventually became Yugoslavia. It wasn't until 2003 that the last remnant of Yugoslavia disappeared and the bank returned to minting Serbian currency.
- Privileged National Bank of the Kingdom of Serbia (2 July 1884 - 20 January 1920)
- National Bank of the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes (20 January 1920 - 3 October 1929)
- National Bank of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia (3 October 1929 - September 1946)
- National Bank of Yugoslavia (September 1946 - 19 July 2003)
- National Bank of Serbia (19 July 2003 - present)
Core functions of the National Bank of Serbia include determining and implementation of the monetary policy, as well as that of the dinar exchange rate policy, management of the foreign currency reserves, issue of banknotes and coins, and maintenance of efficient payment and financial systems.
Below is the list of the governors of the National Bank of Serbia since its re-establishment in 2003.
- Mlađan Dinkić (February 4, 2003 – July 22, 2003)
- Kori Udovički (July 23, 2003 – February 25, 2004)
- Radovan Jelašić (February 25, 2004 – July 28, 2010)
- Dejan Šoškić (July 28, 2010 – August 6, 2012)
- Jorgovanka Tabaković (August 6, 2012 – present)
- National Bank building in Belgrade
- Serbian dinar
- Economy of Serbia
- List of governors of national banks of Serbia and Yugoslavia
- National Bank of Serbia
- Central Bank Rates: worldwide and serbia rates, monetary meetings, central banks
|This European bank or insurance-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Serbia-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|