National Brain Research Centre
|National Brain Research Centre|
|Type||Autonomous Government Institute (Deemed University)|
|President||P. N. Tandon|
|Location||Manesar, Gurgaon district, Haryana, India|
The National Brain Research Centre is a neuroscience research group, situated in Manesar, Gurgaon district, Haryana, India. It is an Autonomous Government Institute accredited with the deemed university status and is a nodal center under Department of Biotechnology of the Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India.
The center is dedicated to provide infrastructural facilities and a coordinated multidisciplinary team to work at the frontiers of neuroscience research and network the existing groups and whenever required, create satellite units to catalyze the overall growth of this discipline in the country. Founder director Vijayalakshmi Ravindranath has been awarded Padmashri in the year 2010 by government of India.
Research carried out at NBRC encompasses breadth of neuroscience from Cellular and Molecular Neuroscience, Developmental Neuroscience, Systems and Cognitive Neuroscience to Computational Neuroscience and Brain Imaging. List of scientific facilities available at NBRC includes DNA Sequencing, DNA Microarray, Whole-cell Intracellular and Extracellular Physiological Recording, Magnetic Resonance Imaging (3T). NBRC ranks first in India in number of publications in Basic Neuroscience during 2006-10.
Besides research, the center provides a national level nucleus for comprehensive training and teaching in diverse fields of neurosciences. As a Deemed University, the center offers post-graduate degree courses in neuroscience. Currently, it offers an Integrated PhD (MSc + PhD)/PhD program in neuroscience. These programs aim to develop a solid foundation in the basic areas of neuroscience in an inter-disciplinary manner and to expose the students to the latest research techniques in different areas.
Internationally, NBRC has collaborations with RIKEN Brain Science Institute, Japan, National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), USA, University Utrecht, The Netherlands, Pavlov Institute, Russia, Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale (INSERM), and France. In the year 2006, Montreal Neurological Institute of McGill University (MNI), Canada and NBRC were declared sister institutes.
- "DBT - Department of Biotechnology". Dbtindia.nic.in. 14 November 1997. Retrieved 2012-03-15.
- [dead link]
- "Padma Shri Awardees - Padma Awards - My India, My Pride - Know India: National Portal of India". India.gov.in. Retrieved 2012-03-15.
- "::::National Brain Research Centre, Manesar, Gurgaon Dist, Haryana :: ::". Nbrc.ac.in. Retrieved 2012-03-15.
- Welcome to. Scopus. Retrieved on 2013-12-06.
- The Lancet Neurology, February 2004, Vol 3, Page 77
- Welcome to Department of Science and Technology, Govt. of India ::
- "Montreal Neurological Institute and Hospital - MNI Accomplishments". Mni.mcgill.ca. 13 September 2010. Retrieved 2012-03-15.