United States national cemetery
"United States national cemetery" is a designation for 147 nationally important cemeteries in the United States. A national cemetery is generally a military cemetery containing the graves of U.S. military personnel, veterans and their spouses but not exclusively so. There are also state veteran cemeteries.
Some national cemeteries, especially Arlington, contain the graves of important civilian leaders and other important national figures. Some national cemeteries also contain sections for Confederate soldiers.
The National Cemetery Administration of the United States Department of Veterans Affairs maintains 131 of the 147 national cemeteries. The Department of the Army maintains two national cemeteries, Arlington National Cemetery and United States Soldiers' and Airmen's Home National Cemetery. The National Park Service (NPS) maintains 14 cemeteries associated with historic sites and battlefields. Additionally the American Battle Monuments Commission maintains 24 American military cemeteries overseas. These exceptions are noted on the list below.
Final military honors are provided for qualified veterans by several volunteer details known as a Memorial Honor Detail or MHDs upon request of family members through their choice of mortuaries handling the deceased's remains.
List of National Cemeteries
- USVA emblems for headstones and markers
- Edmund Burke Whitman, proposed the rules for creating new cemeteries
- Fort Leavenworth Military Prison Cemetery
- "Edmund Whitman (1812-1873)". University of Michigan. Retrieved 2008-10-31. "After the war Whitman became assistant quartermaster in charge of national cemeteries and mortuary records for the same district. Charged with inspecting cemeteries and battlefields, he located Union soldiers buried in Tennessee, Kentucky, Georgia, and Alabama."
- Chap. LXI. 14 Stat. 399 from "A Century of Lawmaking for a New Nation: U. S. Congressional Documents and Debates, 1774 - 1875". Library of Congress, Law Library of Congress. Retrieved April 25, 2012.
- NPS: Oakdale Cemetery Soldiers' Lot, Davenport, Iowa
- Oakdale Memorial Gardens
- Rock Island National Cemetery