National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame
|National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame|
|Location||Kansas City, Missouri|
The National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame, located in Kansas City, Missouri, is a hall of fame and museum dedicated to men's college basketball. The museum is an integral portion of the College Basketball Experience created by the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC), located at the Sprint Center. The hall is meant as a complement to the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, with a focus strictly on those who have contributed greatly to college basketball.
On November 17, 2006 the NABC honored around 180 players, coaches and other notable contributors to college basketball by inducting them into the founding class of the Hall of Fame. Oscar Robertson, Bill Russell, Dean Smith, John Wooden and the family of Dr. James Naismith, were selected to represent the inaugural class.
The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, Massachusetts has indicated it will help with the exhibits. The other interactive portions of the College Basketball Experience are called 'The Entry Experience,' 'The Fan Experience,' and 'The Game.' The NABC recently renamed the Guardians Classic college tournament the CBE Classic to help promote it.
Each year several founding class members are honored at the induction ceremony:
• Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was honored in 2007
• Charles Barkley was honored in 2008
• Larry Bird and Magic Johnson were honored in 2009
• Jerry West and David Thompson were honored in 2010
• Bob Knight and James Worthy were honored in 2011
• Clyde Lovellette, Willis Reed and Earl Monroe were honored in 2012
• Elvin Hayes was honored in 2013
- USBWA Hall of Fame
- National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC)
- Pacific-12 Conference Men's Basketball Hall of Honor
- Carolina Basketball Museum (University of North Carolina)
- "about us". National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame. Retrieved 14 November 2012.
- "Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame to induct founding class". NABC. Retrieved 2006-11-20.
- Christian Laettner, Tex Winter head 2010 inductees to College Basketball Hall of Fame
- New college hoops class includes Sutton
- Ewing, Lovellette among 2012 college hoops hall of fame class
- Profiles of College Basketball Hall of Fame inductees
- CBE Hall of Fame website
- Voices of Oklahoma interview with Eddie Sutton. First person interview conducted with Eddie Sutton on September 30, 2010. Original audio and transcript archived with Voices of Oklahoma oral history project.