National Dark-Sky Week
|National Dark-Sky Week (NDSW)|
|Genre||Astronomy-related events and competitions|
|Frequency||Week of the new moon in April|
National Dark-Sky Week (NDSW), held during the week of the new moon in April, is a week during which people worldwide turn out their lights in order to observe the beauty of the night sky without light pollution. This event was founded in 2003 by Jennifer Barlow of Midlothian, Virginia, and its popularity and participation increases every year. It has been endorsed by the International Dark-Sky Association (IDA), the American Astronomical Society (AAS), the Astronomical League, and Sky & Telescope (S&T).
The goals of the event are to:
- Temporarily reduce light pollution and raise awareness about its effects on the night sky,
- Encourage the use of better lighting systems that direct light downward instead of into the sky, and
- Promote the study of astronomy.
This event always occurs in April, during the week of the New moon so that the sky can be as dark as possible for optimum viewing conditions.
Jennifer Barlow states, "The night sky is a gift of such tremendous beauty that should not be hidden under a blanket of wasted light. It should be visible so that future generations do not lose touch with the wonder of our universe." Barlow explains, "It is my wish that people see the night sky in all of its glory, without excess light in the sky as our ancestors saw it hundreds of years ago."
|1||2003||01 April 2003 UTC|
|2||2004||19 April 2004 UTC|
|3||2005||08 April 2005 UTC|
|4||2006||27 April 2006 UTC|
|5||2007||17 April 2007 UTC|
|6||2008||06 April 2008 UTC||In 2008, the organizers coordinated the week with Earth Hour.|||
|7||2009||April 20 - 26, 2009||25 April 2009 UTC||International Year of Astronomy (IYA 2009)|
|8||2010||April 4 - 10, 2010||13-14 April 2010 UTC|||
|9||2011||03 April 2011 UTC|
|10||2012||21 April 2012 UTC|
|11||2013||10 April 2013 UTC|
|12||2014||April 20-26, 2014||29 April 2014 UTC|||
|13||2015||18 April 2015 UTC|
- "What Is National Dark Sky Week?". Wise Geek. Conjecture Corporation. Retrieved 25 December 2013.
- Bobra, Monica. "Jennifer Barlow: Dark-sky Devotee". Sky & Telescope. Sky Publishing of New Track Media.
- "International Dark Sky Week". Astronomers Without Borders. AWB. Retrieved 25 December 2013.
- "How to participate in International Dark-Sky Week". Dark Skies Awareness. Retrieved 25 December 2013.
- "International Dark Sky Week April 20-26, 2014". Dark Sky. IDA. Retrieved 25 December 2013.