National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council
|Pambansang Tanggapan para sa Pagtugon ng Sakuna|
Logo of NDRRMC
|Preceding Agency||National Disaster Coordinating Council
(established October 19, 1970 )
|Type||Strategic Emergency Management|
|Jurisdiction||Government of the Philippines|
|Headquarters||Camp Aguinaldo, EDSA cor. Boni Serrano, Quezon City, Philippines
|Agency executive||Alexander P. Pama, Executive Director|
|Parent agency||Department of National Defense|
The National Disaster Risk Reduction & Management Council (NDRRMC), formerly known as the National Disaster Coordinating Council (NDCC), is a working group of various government, non-government, civil sector and private sector organizations of the Government of the Republic of the Philippines established by Republic Act 10121 of 2009. It is administered by the Office of Civil Defense under the Department of National Defense. The Council is responsible for ensuring the protection and welfare of the people during disasters or emergencies.
The Council utilizes the UN Cluster Approach in disaster management. It is the country's focal for the ASEAN Agreement on Disaster Management and Emergency Response (AADMER) and many other related international commitments.
In February 2010, the National Disaster Coordinating Council (NDCC) was renamed, reorganized, and subsequently expanded. The following heads of agencies compose the NDRRMC:
- Chairperson - Secretary of Department of National Defense - Voltaire Gazmin
- Vice Chairperson for Disaster Preparedness - Secretary of Interior and Local Government - Mar Roxas
- Vice Chairperson for Disaster Response - Secretary of Department of Social Welfare and Development - Dinky Soliman
- Vice Chairperson for Disaster Prevention and Mitigation - Secretary of the Department of Science and Technology - Jose Mario G. Montejo
- Vice Chairperson for Disaster Rehabilitation and Recovery - Director-General of the National Economic Development Authority - Arsenio Balisacan
- Secretary of the Department of Health
- Secretary of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources
- Secretary of the Department of Agriculture
- Secretary of the Department of Education
- Secretary of the Department of Energy
- Secretary of the Department of Finance
- Secretary of the Department of Trade and Industry
- Secretary of the Department of Transportation and Communication
- Secretary of the Department of Budget and Management
- Secretary of the Department of Public Works and Highways
- Secretary of the Department of Foreign Affairs
- Secretary of the Department of Justice
- Secretary of the Department of Labor and Employment
- Secretary of the Department of Tourism
- The Executive Secretary;
- Secretary of the Office of the Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process
- Chairman, Commission on Higher Education
- Chief of Staff, Armed Forces of the Philippines
- Chief, Philippine National Police
- The Press Secretary
- Secretary-General of the Philippine Red Cross
- Commissioner of the National Anti-Poverty Commission - Victims of Disasters and Calamities Sector
- Chairperson, National Commission on the Role of Filipino Women
- Chairman, Housing and Urban Development Coordinating Council
- Executive-Director of the Climate Change Office of the Climate Change Commission
- President, Government Service Insurance System
- President, Social Security System
- President, Philippine Health Insurance Corporation;
- President of the Union of Local Authorities of the Philippines
- President of the League of Provinces in the Philippines
- President of the League of Municipalities in the Philippines
- President of the League of Cities in the Philippines
- President of the Liga ng Mga Barangay
- Four representatives from the Civil Sector Organizations
- One representative from the Private Sector
- Administrator of the Office of Civil Defense
Local DRRM Offices
According of Republic Act 10121, various local governments throughout the country should established Local DRRM Offices at the regional, provincial, municipal, city and barangay levels. As functional arms of the local governments, these Offices are responsible to create a Local Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Plan according to the Framework of the NDRRMC covering 4 aspects including disaster preparedness, response, prevention and mitigation, and rehabilitation and recovery.
Local Offices usually have a Chief DRRM Officer supported by Administrative and Training, Research and Planning, Operations and Warning Officers. Some of these Offices have advanced to organizing their own search and rescue and emergency medical services squads and command-control-and-communications centers.
Typhoon Haiyan (Yolanda)
The NDRRMC was in charge of gathering and reporting data in the wake of Typhoon Haiyan. On November 15, 2014, the agency reported 5,632 deaths, 1,140 people missing and 12,166 injured. The agency has reported the rose of death toll to 6,190 deaths, 1,785 missing and 28, 626 injured. They also estimated that the typhoon costed ₱36.6 billion damage to the infrastructure and agriculture of the Visayan Region. As of April 17, 2014, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council confirmed total of 6,300 deaths including 5,877 of those taking place in the Eastern Visayas.
- "Can new disaster management chief Pama 'rescue' NDRRMC?". Rappler. 11 May 2014. Retrieved 2014-08-22.
- Republic Act No. 10121
- Community-Based Disaster Risk Reduction
- "FAST FACTS: The NDRRMC". Rappler. 16 November 2013 (updated 11 July 2014). Retrieved 2014-08-22. Check date values in:
- "The role of LGUs, local councils during disasters". Rappler. 21 November 2013 (updated 11 July 2014). Retrieved 2014-08-22. Check date values in:
- NDRRMC Framework
- "US sends 1000 more troops as Philippines typhoon aid faces challenges". Fox News. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "NDRRMC : Yolanda death toll rises to 6,190". Philippine Star. 9 January 2014. Retrieved 2014-08-22.
- "US sends 1000 more troops as Philippines typhoon aid faces challenges". National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council. 17 April 2014. Retrieved 2014-08-22.