National Flag Anthem
|English: National Flag Anthem of the Republic of China|
|Zhōnghuá Míngúo Gúoqígē|
The Sheet of National Flag Anthem
National anthem of
Republic of China (Rising and lowering the Flag)
Chinese Taipei (Sport games)
|Lyrics||Tai Chi-tao (pinyin: Dài Jìtáo), 1937|
|Music||Huang Tzu (pinyin: Huáng Zì), 1936|
The "National Flag Anthem" (official name, also known as the National Banner Song unofficially) (Chinese: 國旗歌; pinyin: gúoqí gē) of the Republic of China (Taiwan) is played during the raising and lowering of the Flag of the Republic of China. This song is also played at international sporting events such as the Olympic Games, where the ROC team plays as "Chinese Taipei."
After the Kuomintang Anthem became the de facto National Anthem of the Republic of China in 1930, the Ministry of Education had invited submissions for a new official national anthem. The music composed by Huang Tzu was eventually chosen in 1936, but the Nationalist Government refused to adopt it as the national anthem. As a compromise, the National Anthem remained unchanged, while Huang Tzu's music was adopted as the National Flag Anthem, with lyrics written in Classical Chinese by Tai Chi-tao, who had also contributed to the lyrics of the National Anthem.
Since 1983, the song was used at Olympic competitions instead of the National Anthem due to pressure from the Chinese Olympic Committee and the International Olympic Committee. This also changed the symbols used by Taiwan during the Olympics and their name officially changed to "Chinese Taipei." During the 2004 Summer Olympics, Chinese Taipei won its first gold medals, and the Banner Song was played at the ceremonial raising of the flag of the gold medal team. When introduced, the song is officially called the "National Anthem of Chinese Taipei." However, in the 16th Asian Games held in Guangzhou, the song was introduced as the "Anthem of the Chinese Taipei Olympic Committee" (中華臺北奧會會歌).
In schools in Taiwan, every morning the National Anthem and the National Flag Anthem are played before classes at an outdoor ceremony. The national anthem is sung while the flag is being hold before raising and the National Flag Anthem is played when the National Flag is raised.
|Traditional Chinese||Hanyu Pinyin|
- Note: The lyrics were written in Classical Chinese with imperative sentences.
According to Liu Yiling from National Library of the Republic of China, there is a dispute about the author of lyrics. Some earlier publications was printed as the lyrics was an anonymous work. Later publications attributed it to Tai Chi-tao, who also wrote a song with the title "National Flag Anthem" in 1928 but it was totally different from the current version. Liang Desuo with his work published in 1929 with the title "Blue Sky, White Sun, and a Wholly Red Earth." is said to be the author as his work much resembles the current lyrics.
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
- National Flag Anthem Orchestral Version Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Republic of China.
- National Flag Anthem Chorus Version Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Republic of China.
- Ming Pao Monthly, No.289, P.87
- "國旗歌歌詞遭篡改 蒙蔽26年?" (in Chinese). 2009-01-05. Retrieved 2009-01-08.[dead link]
- "NOC Biography - Chinese Taipei". The Beijing Organizing Committee for the Games of the XXIX Olympiad. 2008-08-25. Retrieved 2009-01-08.
- "Chinese Taipei wins Soft tennis 2010". Youku. 2010-11-15. Retrieved 2010-11-15.
- "臺北市公私立各級學校升降旗典禮實施要點" (in Chinese). 1981-02-16. Retrieved 2009-01-08.[dead link]
- "梁得所與中華民國〈國旗歌〉的歌詞 劉怡伶 國家圖書館館刊" (in Chinese). 2011-06-10. Retrieved 2012-08-07.