National Football League team captains
In the National Football League, the team captain designation is a team-appointed position that designates certain players as leaders on and off the field. The captains program was implemented by the NFL Player Advisory Council established by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell in conjunction with the NFL Players Association. Starting in 2007, the league began permitting teams to name up to six players as captains.
Players who have been named a team captain typically have a "C" patch on their jerseys. There is a standard design used by all teams participating in the captaincy program. The patches are in team colors and are worn on the front left or right breast (depending on other patches, etc. worn by the specific team). The number of stars filled in on the patch represents the number of consecutive years that player has been named captain by that team. If they've been named captain for longer than four years, the "C" on the patch is gold. Some teams (i.e. Baltimore and New England) do not have this patch on their jerseys but still designate captains. The New York Jets have not designated team captains since an incident involving Santonio Holmes in a 2011 game. In the 4th quarter of the final game of the 2011 season against the Miami Dolphins, Holmes appeared to get into an argument with Jets offensive tackle Wayne Hunter while the team was huddling. As a result of the argument, Holmes was benched for the remainder of the game, and the Jets ended up losing the game, which resulted in the Jets missing the postseason for the first time in 3 years. His leadership qualities and credibility as a captain have since been questioned.
During special recognitions, the patch may be a different color; e.g., pink for breast cancer awareness; or camouflage for military service recognition.
Because of the nature of the game is played, most teams include their starting quarterbacks as Offensive Captain.
- * Darlington, Jeff (September 6, 2012). "NFL captains: 'C' patch comes with varied roles, responsibilities". National Football League. Retrieved 2012-09-06.
- "NFL supports Breast Cancer Awareness Month". National Football League. September 28, 2011. Retrieved 2012-12-27.
- Tyler Nickel, "Captains named, and Potter gets guarded", AZCardinals.com, September 4, 2013
- "Falcons Elect Captains for Postseason", Official Website of the Atlanta Falcons Football Club, January 16, 2013
- Camille Powell, "NFL's Newest Promotion", TheWashingtonPost.com, October 3, 2007
- Chris Brown, "Bills name team captains for 2013s", BuffaloBills.com, September 2, 2013
- "Carolina Panthers announce captains for 2013 seasonn", CatScratchReader.com, September 5, 2013
- Biggs, Brad (September 6, 2013). "Bears name team captains". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 2013-09-06.
- Josh Kirkendall, "Bengals announce captains against the Bears", SB Nation, September 8, 2013
- Jodie Valade, "Chudzinski Names Game Captains for Home Opener", ClevelandBrowns.com, September 6, 2013
- "Cowboys select captains for 2013 season", Dallas Morning News, September 5, 2013
- Jon Heath, "Broncos Announce 2013 Captains", denverbroncos.com, September 2, 2013
- Justin Rogers, "Ndamukong Suh one of six Detroit Lions players named captain", mlive.com, September 6, 2013
- "Miami Dolphins won't elect permanent team captains", Miami Sun Sentinel, September 6, 2012
- "Packers elect six playoff captains", Green Bay Packers Official Blog, January 4, 2013
- Brian T. Smith, "Schaub, Johnson lead Texans’ 2013 team captains", Ultimate Texans blog, September 7, 2013
- "Colts Vote Captains", Colts.Com, December 5, 2012
- , twitter.com, September 6, 2013
- "Chiefs’ Alex Smith, Dwayne Bowe among team captains for opener", KansasCity.com, September 6, 2013
- "Patriots' captains announced", ESPN, September 8, 2013
- Gene Higginbotham, "New Orleans Saints show interesting choices with team captains", Whodatdish.com, September 4, 2012
- Ohm Youngmisuk, "Rolle, Snee are among five Giants captains for 2013", New York Daily News, September 5, 2013
- Rich Cimini, "Thoughts On New York Jets 2011–2012 Captains", No more Captains for Jets, January 14, 2012
- "Oakland Raiders Plagued by Offensive Injury Bug; Team Captains Named", Just Blog Baby, September 4, 2013
- Steelers.com "Steelers select four as team captains", September 2, 2013
- "San Diego Chargers name their 2013 team captains", Bolts From The Blue, September 9, 2013
- Taylor Price, "49ers Select Team Captains", 49ers.com, September 6, 2013
- "Seahawks elect team captains for 2013 season", seattlepi.com, September 5, 2013
- "Rams name captains for 2013 season", kmov.com, September 5, 2013
- "Freeman not picked among Bucs captains", Tampa Bay Times, September 5, 2013
- "Tennessee Titans Name 6 Team Captains For 2013-14 NFL Season", Titansized.com, September 4, 2013
- Maske, Mark (September 3, 2013). "Griffin, four others elected Redskins’ captains by teammates". WashintonPost.com. Retrieved 2013-09-03.