National Formosa University
|National Formosa University|
|Motto||誠正精勤 (Integrity, Righteousness, Spirit, Diligence)|
|Established||1980 as Central Party Affairs School|
|President||Dr. Jenn-Der Lin (林振德)|
|Location||Yunlin County, Taiwan|
|Campus||Town, 0.206 km²|
National Formosa University (NFU; Chinese: 國立虎尾科技大學) is a technical university located in Huwei District, Yunlin County, Taiwan. It is the only university in Taiwan to include the historical name of Formosa in its title. NFU was established in Huwei Township in 1980 as the Central Party Affairs School.
National Formosa University is organized into four colleges: the College of Engineering, the College of Electronics and Information, the College of Management, and the College of Applied Arts and Sciences. These four colleges provide 19 undergraduate, 10 postgraduate, and 2 doctorate level study programs.
The Research and Services Headquarters was formed in August 2007 to manage four research centers and two multi-purpose laboratories. The aim of these bodies is to organize academic resources and provide a platform for industry-academia cooperation. The research centers focus on technical services. They are the Energy Science and Technology Center, the Micro-Electronic Mechanical System Design and Application Center, the Opto-electronic and Display Technology Center, and the Precision Mechanical Device Development Center. The two research laboratories are the Micro/Nano Science and Common Technology Laboratory and the Ultra High Precision Machining Laboratory.
|No.||Name||Tenure of office||Reason for departure|
|1||Dr. Tien-chin Chang||1980 ─ 1989||Appointed National Taipei University of Technology president|
|2||Dr. Cheng-kuang Yu||August 1989 ─ June 1999||Appointed Nan-Kai Institute of Technology president|
|3||Dr. Chien-chang Lin||October 1999 ─ October 2005||Retired|
|4||Dr. Jenn-Der Lin||October 2005 ─|
- In 1980, Dr. Tien-chin Chang was appointed as the first principal to prepare for the establishment of “Provincial Yunlin Industrial Junior College”.
- In 1981, the school was renamed as “National Yunlin Industrial Junior College”. Dr. Cheng-kuang Yu succeeded as the principal in 1989, and in 1997, the school was renamed as “National Huwei Institute of Technology”.
- Dr. Chien-chang Lin was elected as the president in 1999.
- In 2000, the school applied to the Ministry of Education for renaming.
- In 2003, the school submitted the application again, and in November the Ministry of Education approved its renaming.
- In February 2004, the school was renamed “National Formosa University ” with the approval of Executive Yuan.
- In February 2006, Dr. Jenn-Der Lin was elected the president of the University.
- Formosa University official website
- National Formosa Library website
- National Formosa University map
- Bird's eye view of NFU (flash)