National Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame
|Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame and Museum|
The Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame is an American hall of fame in Hayward, Wisconsin, dedicated to promoting freshwater fishing. Approximately 100,000 visitors tour the museum each year. The 143 feet (44 m)-long muskie sculpture is the world's largest muskie.
The hall of fame was founded in 1960, with buildings constructed in 1976. It is located on a 6-acre (2.4 ha) plot of land in Hayward near Wisconsin Highway 27, and occupies 25,000 square feet (2,300 m2) in seven buildings. One of the buildings is a 143-foot (44 m)-long fiberglass sculpture of a jumping muskie fish. The lower jaw of the fish is an observation deck that has on occasion been used for weddings. The museum contains exhibitions of over 400 mounted fish, along with 300 outboard motors. The Hall of Fame also maintains records for the largest fresh water fish in the United States and the world.
Individuals are inducted into the Hall of Fame in four categories: Enshrinement Programs, Fishing Guide Recognition, Legendary Anglers, and Organization Recognition. There have been 65 individuals inducted under the Enshrinement Program for their national and world impact on fresh water fishing, 78 as Legendary Anglers for their impact on at least a regional level, 15 for their work in the field as fishing guides, and 24 organizations for their contributions to the sport.
- Danilov, Victor J. (1997). Hall of fame museums. Greenwood Publishing Group. pp. 112–113. ISBN 0-313-30000-3.
- Hintz, Daniel (2006). Wisconsin Off the Beaten Path (8th ed.). Globe Pequot. p. 110. ISBN 0-7627-4057-4. Retrieved 2009-06-10.
- McKeon, Bill (February 1976). Fish Story. 145 No. 2. Popular Mechanics. p. 30. ISBN 0032-4558 Check
|isbn=value (help). Retrieved 2009-06-10.
- "National Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame". The Center for Land Use Interpretation. Retrieved 2009-06-10.
- See: Enshrinement/Induction Lists webpage. Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame and Museum official website. Retrieved 2010-10-30.
- Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame and Museum official website