National Trust of Australia
National Trust building, Sydney
|Founded||5 February 1965|
|Type||National peak body for National Trusts; public company, limited by guarantee|
|Tax ID no.||ABN: 54 008 444 684|
|Registration no.||ACN: 008 444 684|
The National Trust of Australia, officially the Australian Council of National Trusts (ACNT), is the Australian national peak body for community-based, non-government organisations committed to promoting and conserving Australia's indigenous, natural and historic heritage.
Incorporated in 1965, it federates the eight autonomous National Trusts in each Australian state and internal self-governing territory, providing them with a national secretariat and a national and international presence.
Collectively, the constituent National Trusts own or manage over 300 heritage places (the majority held in perpetuity), and manage a volunteer workforce of 7000 while also employing about 350 people nation-wide. Around 1,000,000 visitors experience the properties and their collections in Australia each year.
Modelled on the National Trust for Places of Historic Interest or Natural Beauty and inspired by local campaigns to conserve native bushland and preserve old buildings, the first Australian National Trusts were formed in New South Wales in 1945, South Australia in 1955 and Victoria in 1956; followed later in Western Australia, Tasmania and Queensland.
The driving force behind the establishment of the National Trust in Australia was Annie Forsyth Wyatt (1885-1961). She lived for much of her life in a cottage in Gordon, New South Wales, which is still standing. She was living in the Sydney suburb of St Ives when she died.
The constituent organisations are:
|Organisation||Jurisdiction||Founded||Properties managed||Properties owned||Official website||Notes|
|National Trust of Australia (New South Wales)||New South Wales||1947||18||38||http://www.nationaltrust.org.au/nsw|
|National Trust of Australia (Victoria)||Victoria||1956||40||32||http://www.nationaltrust.org.au/vic|
|National Trust of Australia (Tasmania)||Tasmania||1960||9||9||http://www.nationaltrust.org.au/tas|
|National Trust of Queensland||Queensland||1963||?||?||http://www.nationaltrust.org.au/qld|
|National Trust of South Australia||South Australia||1955||120||120||http://www.nationaltrust.org.au/sa|
|National Trust of Australia (WA)||Western Australia||1959||?||?||http://www.nationaltrust.org.au/wa|
|National Trust of Australia (ACT)||Australian Capital Territory||?||?||?||http://www.nationaltrust.org.au/act|
|National Trust NT||Northern Territory||1976||?||?||http://www.nationaltrust.org.au/nt|
- List of National Trust properties in Australia
- List of Australian Living Treasures
- SAHANZ, the Society of Architectural Historians, Australia and New Zealand
- Historic Houses Trust of New South Wales
- Pryor, Cathy (4 December 2003). "A force for the regions". The Australian (Australia/New Zealand Reference Centre, EBSCO (database online)). p. 15.
- "National Trust of Australia" in Trischa Mann (ed), Australian Law Dictionary accessed 30 September 2011 via Oxford Reference Online, Oxford University Press.
- "National Trust" in Bruce Moore (ed), The Australian Oxford Dictionary (2nd ed, Oxford University Press, 2004) via Oxford Reference Online, Oxford University Press accessed 30 September 2011.
- Graeme Davison, "National trusts" in Graeme Davison, John Hirst and Stuart Macintyre (eds), The Oxford Companion to Australian History, Oxford University Press, 2001 via Oxford Reference Online, Oxford University Press accessed 30 September 2011.
- Ian Wyatt, Ours in Trust (1987), covers the founding years of the NSW National Trust
- Mary Rhyllis Clark, In Trust (1996), recollections of the Victorian Trust pioneers
- Hill, Robert (1997). ""Heritage: Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow": Address to the Natural Trust Conference". Speeches of the Federal Minister for the Environment. Department of the Environment and Heritage (Australia). Archived from the original on 2006-09-11. Retrieved 2007-01-30.
- Carol Cosgrove and Susan Marsden, Challenging times: the National Trust of South Australia 1955–2005, National Trust of South Australia, Adelaide 2005 ISBN 0-909378-60-6