National Highway Authority
|Headquarters||NHA Headquarters, Islamabad|
The National Highway Authority is responsible for building and maintaining highways and motorways in Pakistan. The objective of the NHA is to "plan, promote and organize programmes for construction, development, operation, repairs & maintenance of National Highways, Motorways & strategic roads."
In 1978, Government of Pakistan (GoP) decided to federalise five important inter-provincial roads named " National Highways" and created the National Highway Board for monitoring the development and maintenance of these federalized roads by provincial Highway Departments.
Plan, Promote, Organize and Implement Programs for Construction, Development, Operation, Repairs and Maintenance of National Highways/ Motorways and Strategic Roads.
Powers & Duties of NHA
- Advise the Federal Government on matters relating to National Highways and Strategic Roads .
- Frame a scheme or schemes for matters such as construction, expansion, operation and development of National Highways and Strategic Roads and undertake work/incur expenditure on such scheme(s).
- Acquire any land in accordance with legal procedure and obtain and dispose of moveable and immovable property of interests therein.
- Research and development in the field of Highways.
- Procure plant, machinery, instruments and materials required for its use.
- Enter into and perform all such contracts as it may consider necessary.
- Levy, collect or cause to be collected tolls on National Highways, Strategic Roads and such other roads as may be entrusted to it and bridges thereon.
- License facilities on roads under its control on such terms as it deems fit.
- Determine a building line between which and the RoW it shall not be lawful without the consent of the Authority to construct or maintain any structure or make any excavation.
- Cause studies, surveys, experiments and technical researches to be made or contribute towards the cost of such studies, surveys, experiments or technical researches made by any other agency.
- National Highways of Pakistan
- Motorways of Pakistan
- Karakorum Highway
- Makran Coastal Highway
- Transport in Pakistan
|This article about an organization in Pakistan is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|