|Type||Public company (BSE: 533098, NSE: NHPC)|
|Key people||R.S.T. Sai
(Chairman & MD)
|Products||Electricity generation, energy trading|
|Revenue||$1.1 billion (2010)|
|Net income||$485 million (2010)|
NHPC Limited (Formerly National Hydroelectric Power Corporation) (BSE: 533098, NSE: NHPC) is an Indian Hydro Power Generation company that was incorporated in the year 1975 with an authorized cs. 2000 million and with an objective to plan, promote and organize an integrated and efficient development of hydroelectric power in all aspects. Later on NHPC expanded its objects to include other sources of energy like Geothermal, Tidal, Wind etc.
At present, NHPC is a Mini Ratna Category-I Enterprise of the Govt. of India with an authorised share capital of Rs. 1,50,000 Million . With an investment base of over Rs. 3,87,180 Million Approx., NHPC is among the TOP TEN companies in the country in terms of investment. Baira Suil Power station in Salooni Tehsil of Chamba district was the first project undertaken by NHPC.
Public Limited Company
NHPC is listed in National Stock Exchange and Bombay Stock Exchange on September 1, 2009. Government of India and State Governments have 86.36% share as a promoter of the Company while remaining 13.64% is public shareholding. The total number of shareholders are 1,91,337 and share capital is Rs. 12,300,742,773.
At present, NHPC is a schedule 'A' Enterprise of the Govt. of India with an authorized share capital of Rs. 1,50,000 Million . With an investment base of over Rs. 2,20,000 million Approx. In 2009-2010 NHPC made a profit after tax of Rs2090 crores . A increase of 94% than the previous year profit of 1050 crores. NHPC is among the top ten companies in India in terms of investment. Department of Public Enterprise, Govt. of India recently conferred prestigious Miniratna status to NHPC.
Initially, on incorporation, NHPC took over the execution of Salal Stage-I, Bairal and Loktak Hydro-electric Projects from Central Hydroelectric Projects Control Board. Since then, it has executed 14 projects with an installed capacity of 5295 MW on ownership basis including projects taken up in joint venture. NHPC has also executed 5 projects with an installed capacity of 89.35 MW on turnkey basis. Two of these projects have been commissioned in neighbouring countries i.e. Nepal and Bhutan at a capacity of 14.1 &60 MW.
Presently NHPC is engaged in the construction of 9 projects aggregating to a total installed capacity of 4271 MW . NHPC has planned to add 5322 MW during 11th Plan period. 12 projects of 9651 MW are awaiting clearances/Govt. approval for their implementation. Detailed Projects report or Feasibility Report are being prepared for 7 projects of 5755 MW.
Since its inception in 1975, NHPC has grown to become one of the largest organizations in the field of hydro power development in the country. With its present capabilities, NHPC can undertake all activities from concept to commissioning of hydroelectric projects.
Hydro Power Stations
Total - 5987 MW
|S.no.||Power Plant||State||Commissioned Capacity (MW)||year of commission|
|1||Baira siul||Himachal Pradesh||180||1981|
|3||Salal-I||Jammu & Kashmir||345||1987|
|6||Salal-II||Jammu & Kashmir||345||1996|
|7||Uri-I||Jammu & Kashmir||480||1997|
|9||Chamera II Hydroelectric Plant||Himachal Pradesh||300||2004|
|10||Indira Sagar*||Madhya Pradesh||1000||2005|
|12||Dul Hasti||Jammu & Kashmir||390||2007|
|15||Sewa-II||Jammu & Kashmir||120||2010|
|17||Chutak||Jammu & Kashmir||44||2012-13|
|18||Teesta Low Dam Project-III||West Bengal||132||2013|
|19||Nimmo Bazgo||Jammu & Kashmir||45||2013|
|20||Uri-II||Jammu & Kashmir||240||2013|
* Joint Venture with Madhya Pradesh (M.P.) Government
Hydro Power Stations Under construction
Total - 3810 MW
|S.no.||Power Plant||State||Total Capacity (MW)||Completion Schedule|
|1||Kishenganga||Jammu & Kashmir||330||2016|
|4||Teesta Low Dam-IV||West Bengal||160||2011(?)|
NOTE: Three units of Chamera-III H.E.Project 231 MW (77x3) in Himachal Pradesh have been commissioned. With the commissioning of Chamera-III Project, the installed capacity of NHPC has gone up to 5526 MW which includes 1520 MW through our JV subsidiary NHDC.The 231 MW Chamera Hydroelectric Project Stage-III is situated in Chamba district of Himachal Pradesh. This project is situated in comparatively lower Himalayan region.
Scheduling and Generation Despatch
The Scheduling and Despatch of all the generating stations owned by National Hydro Power Corporation is done by the respective Regional Load Despatch Centres which are the apex body to ensure the integrated operation of the power system grid in the respective region. All these Lasdefdcoad Despatch Centres comes under Power System Operation Corporation Limited (POSOCO).