||This section contains content that is written like an advertisement. (December 2014)|
|Former names||National Indoor Arena (1991–2014)|
|Location||King Edwards Road
(Lloyds Banking Group)
|Opened||4 October 1991|
|All England Open Badminton Championships
Sainsbury's Indoor Grand Prix
The Barclaycard Arena is an indoor sporting and entertainment venue in Birmingham, UK. Since opening as the National Indoor Arena in 1991, it has welcomed visitors to over 30 different sports and a variety of entertainment and music.
The Arena, which is owned by parent company, the NEC Group, is situated in central Birmingham. When it was opened in 1991, it was the largest indoor arena in the UK. The arena is able to host a variety of evens including concerts, business conferences and exhibitions. The Arena has a capacity of up to 12,700 using both permanent seating and temporary seating configurations. The NIA was officially opened on 4 October 1991 by the athlete Linford Christie.
The Barclaycard Arena is located alongside the Birmingham Canal Navigations Main Line's Old Turn Junction and opposite the National Sea Life Centre in Brindleyplace. Close to the arena, is The ICC which is also owned by the NEC Group.
In 2012 plans to refurbish and renovate the NIA were approved by Birmingham City Council. The plans included creating a showpiece entrance from the canal-side, three sky needle light sculptures, a new glazed facade fronting the canal and new pre-show hospitality elements. The design was by the architecture firm Broadway Malyan and the building contract was awarded to Royal BAM Group in 2013 with an projected finishing date of Winter 2014.
The £26 million redevelopment began work in June 2013 and completed in December 2014 and was officially opened by singer Michael Bublé on 2 December 2014. The arena will be called the Barclaycard Arena after Barclaycard won the naming rights for five years.
||This section may contain excessive, poor, or irrelevant examples. (March 2015)|
Over the years it has hosted many notable events:
- 1993 and 2003 World Badminton Championships
- 1995 Netball World Championships
- 1998 Eurovision Song Contest.
- 1999 World Judo Championships
- On Saturday 2 October 1999, it played host to WWF Rebellion 1999
- Between Friday 14 March to Sunday 16 March of 2003, it played host to the 2003 IAAF World Indoor Championships.
- Davis Cup tennis matches (United States in 1999 and Sweden & Thailand in 2002)
- BBL Cup and BBL Finals Weekend matches
- Many basketball, powerlifting, table tennis, and wrestling competitions
- The British games company Games Workshop used the arena to stage their Games Day and Golden Demon events until 2003, when they moved to the larger National Exhibition Centre.
- Heart of England Judo championships
- The British Indoor Rowing Championships since 2000
- The Gladiators television programme from 1992 to 2000
- The All England Open Badminton Championships from 1994 to present day.
- 2007 European Athletics Indoor Championships.
- Michael Flatley's Stage Show, Celtic Tiger – DVD recording
- It has played host to three BAMMA events. BAMMA 4 on Saturday 25 September 2010, BAMMA 7 on Saturday 10 September 2011 and BAMMA 9 on Saturday 24 March 2012.
- Beyoncé performed at the arena during her I Am... Tour on 23 May 2009
- Muse performed at the arena during their The Resistance Tour on 10 November 2009.
- Avenged Sevenfold performed at the arena on 28 October 2010 as part of their Nightmare tour.
- Between Wednesday 7 July to Saturday 17 in 2010, it played host to the 2010 Wheelchair Basketball World Championship.
- 2010 European Artistic Gymnastics Championships
- 2011 Trampoline World Championships
- 2011 Iron Maiden- The Final Frontier World Tour. The played the Arena as part of their 10 Date UK Tour with Australian rock band Airbourne providing support
- Rihanna performed at the arena on 29 November 2011 as part of her Loud Tour
- 2012 BMX World Championships
- 2012 Madonna. The MDNA World Tour marked Madonna's first performance in Birmingham.
- Alexandra Burke performed there as part of her All Night Long Tour, and rapper Nicki Minaj also performed at the arena as part of her Pink Friday Tour.
- 2012 All England Super Series Premier
- 2013 Alicia Keys is set to perform there as part of her Girl on Fire Tour, Justin Bieber is set to perform there as part of his Believe Tour
- Leona Lewis, Olly Murs and The Jacksons have confirmed dates to perform in the arena during 2013.
- Bullet For My Valentine, Asking Alexandria and Young Guns played at the arena on 3 December 2013 as part of the Rule Britannia Tour across the UK.
- Bruno Mars performed at the arena during his Moonshine Jungle Tour on 11 October 2013.
- Black Sabbath performed at the arena on 22 December 2013 as part of the 13 Tour around Europe.
- Union J will perform at the arena on 10 January 2014 as part of their Magazines + TV Screens Tour .
- Queen + Adam Lambert will perform at the arena on Friday 23 January 2015 part of their European Tour
- Fall Out Boy performed on Sunday 16 March 2014 as part of the Save Rock and Roll Tour and is set to return in October 2015 on their American Beauty/American Psycho UK tour.
- Total Nonstop Action Joker's Wild II pay per view taping on 2 February 2014.
- Miley Cyrus will perform on 16 May 2014 as part of her Bangerz World Tour.
- Kylie Minogue will perform on 4 and 5 October 2014 as part of her Kiss Me Once Tour.
- Lady Gaga is set to perform on 15 October 2014 and on November 13, 2014 as part of her world tour, Artrave: The Artpop Ball.
- Michael Bublé will officially open the Barclaycard Arena on 2 December 2014.
- Slipknot, Korn and King 810 performed at the Barclaycard Arena on 27 January 2015 as the final date of the UK leg of Slipknot's Prepare For Hell World Tour.
- Nicki Minaj will perform here on 3 April 2015 as part of The Pinkprint Tour.
- 5 Seconds of Summer are set to perform here on 5 June 2015 and 6 June 2015 on the Rock Out with Your Socks Out Tour.
- Ariana Grande is set to perform here on 9 June 2015 during The Honeymoon Tour.
- One Direction are set to perform here during the On the Road Again Tour on 10, 11 and 12 October 2015.
- Madonna is set to perform here on 16 December 2015 as part of the Rebel Heart Tour.
- "The NIA Factsheet". Retrieved 30 March 2011.[dead link]
- "Our brands". NEC Group. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- "Venue Information". Barclaycard Arena. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- "Birmingham NIA". ActivBirmingham. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- "International firm awarded £24m contract to refurbish Birmingham NIA". Birmingham Post (Birmingham). 16 May 2013. Retrieved 14 March 2014.
- Brown, Graeme (29 September 2014). "Michael Bublé to perform as NIA renamed the Barclaycard Arena". Birmingham Mail. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- [dead link]
|IAAF World Indoor Championships in Athletics
Budapest Sports Arena
Palacio de Deportes de la CAM
|European Indoor Championships in Athletics
|Eurovision Song Contest
International Convention Center