National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology
INGV is funded by the Italian Ministry of Education, Universities and Research. Its main responsibilities within the Italian civil protection system are the maintenance and monitoring of the national networks for seismic and volcanic phenomena, together with outreach and educational activities for the Italian population. The institute employs around 1000 people distributed between the headquarters in Rome and the other sections in Milan, Bologna, Pisa, Naples, Catania and Palermo.
INGV is amongst the top 20 research institutions in terms of scientific publications production. It participates and coordinates several EU research projects and organizes international scientific meetings in collaboration with other institutions.
- September 29, 1999 – August 11, 2011: Enzo Boschi
- August 12, 2011 – December 21, 2011: Domenico Giardini
- Since March 21, 2012 : Stefano Gresta (since December 21, 2011 acting president).
- List of Italian Research Institutions, Ministry of Research
- Sciencewatch, top 20 ranking for institutions in seismology
- EMSO, European Multidisciplinary Seafloor and water column Observatory
- EPOS, European Plate Observing System
- VOLCANO OBSERVATORY BEST PRACTICES WORKSHOP, USGS & INGV
- "Trial delayed of scientists accused over L'Aquila quake". CNN. October 1, 2011. Retrieved 23 October 2012.