National Institute of Open Schooling
National Institute of Open Schooling
|Formation||November 3, 1989|
|Type||Governmental Board of School Education|
|Headquarters||Noida, Uttar Pradesh, India|
A-24/25, Institutional Area, Sector - 62,NOIDA Distt. Gautam Budh Nagar, Uttar Pradesh - 201 309
|Hindi & English|
|Sitansu S. Jena|
|Ministry of Human Resource Development|
The National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS) (formerly National Open School, राष्ट्रीय मुक्त विद्यालयी शिक्षा संस्थान), is the Board of Education for Distance education, under the Union Government of India. It was established by the Ministry of Human Resource Development of the Government of India in 1989 to provide education inexpensively to remote areas. The NIOS is a national board that administers examinations for Secondary and Senior Secondary examinations of open schools similar to the CBSE and the CISCE.
It had a cumulative enrollment of about 1.5 million students from 2004–2009 at Secondary and Senior Secondary levels and enrolls about 350,000 students annually which makes it the largest open schooling system in the world.
International collaboration and overseas centers
The NIOS collaborates with the Commonwealth of Learning (COL) and UNESCO. It also has study centers for Indian expatriates in the United Arab Emirates, Oman, Kuwait, Nepal, Canada and the United States.
Courses offered by NIOS
NIOS offer the following courses:
- Open Basic Education Programme, Which includes following three levels courses
- OBE 'A' Level Course—Equivalent to class III
- OBE 'B' Level Course—Equivalent to class V
- OBE 'C' Level Course—Equivalent to class VIII
- Secondary Course—Equivalent to class X
- Senior Secondary Course—Equivalent to class XII
- Vocational Education Courses
- Life Enrichment Programmes
The public examinations are held twice a year in the months of April–May and October–November on dates fixed by the NIOS. However, one is also eligible to appear through On Demand Examination at Secondary Level and Senior Secondary level in those subjects only in which a candidate have admission in NIOS.
Regional offices of the Board
|Regional Offices||Jurisdiction/States Covered|
|Delhi I||East Delhi, North Delhi, North East Delhi, North West Delhi, Jhajjar, Gautam Budh Nagar and Ghaziabad|
|Delhi II||South Delhi, West Delhi, South West Delhi, Central Delhi, New Delhi, Gurgaon and Faridabad|
|Hyderabad||Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka|
|Pune||Maharashtra and Goa, Daman and Diu|
|Chandigarh||Haryana (excluding Faridabad, Gurgaon and Jhajjar), Himachal Pradesh, Punjab, Jammu and Kashmir and Chandigarh|
|Kolkata||Sikkim, West Bengal and Andaman & Nicobar Islands and Subcentre Bhubaneswar|
|Chennai||Tamil Nadu and Pondicherry|
|Patna||Bihar and Jharkhand|
|Jaipur||Rajasthan and Gujarat|
|Bhopal||Madhya Pradesh and Chhatisgarh|
|Allahabad||UttarPradesh and sub Centre Dehradun|
|Sub Regional Centre - Dehradun||Uttrakhand, Meerut, Bagpat, Saharanpur, Muzzafarnagar, Moradabad and J.P. Nagar (Amroha), distt. of UP|
- Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE),India
- Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations (CISCE), India ( ICSE and ISC examinations are conducted by CISCE )
- Indian School Certificate (ISC), India
- NIOS Sample Paper For Class 10
- Indian Certificate of Secondary Education (ICSE), India
- Secondary School Leaving Certificate (SSLC)
- West Bengal Board of Secondary Education (WBBSE), India
- Maharashtra State Board of Secondary and Higher Secondary Education (महाराष्ट्र राज्य माध्यमिक व उच्च माध्यमिक शिक्षण मंडळ) (MSBSHSE), India
- Boards of Education in India
- "National Institute Of Open Schooling". Nos.org. 2012-02-19. Retrieved 2012-03-03.
- "Commonwealth of Learning - The Contribution of Open Schooling". Col.org. Retrieved 2012-03-03.
- "International Centre for Training in Open Schooling". Nos.org. 1945-11-16. Retrieved 2012-03-03.
- Majumdar Sahil, Pallavi (October 15, 2002). "Open school for UAE expats". Times of India. Retrieved 2013-07-09.
- "Evaluation System". NIOS. Retrieved 2013-07-09.