National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (June 2012)|
|National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research|
|Location||Mohali, Punjab, India|
National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (NIPER) is a higher education institute located in Mohali, Punjab, India, focusing on education and research in the pharmaceutical sciences.
NIPER offers Masters and Doctoral programs in various fields of the pharmaceutical sciences.
System of Studies
The course duration of Masters programs is four semesters, while the doctoral programs typically take six to ten semesters depending on the subject area of research. A scholar has to take a minimum number of credits offered from various departments depending on the program and branch of study. The Research, its presentation, and defense carry their own credits reflected in the final Cumulative Graded Point Average (CGPA).
Every year in June and July NIPER conducts national level entrance examinations for admissions to its M.S.(Pharm)/M.Tech/M.Pharm., MBA(Pharm.) and PhD programs. Candidates interested in MBA (Pharmaceutical Management) and the doctoral programs are further screened by personal interview. The candidates are required to have qualified the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) or now Graduate Pharmacy Aptitude Test (GPAT) in a suitable subject area, although exceptions are allowed for some applicants/programs. Now GATE in Pharmacy discipline has been replaced by GPAT and pharmacy graduate has to qualify the GPAT. The entrance examination is conducted at Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Chandigarh, New Delhi, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Kolkata, Lucknow, Mumbai, Nagpur and Pune. Depending on the rank secured in the entrance examination and number of seats offered in a department, the applicants get to opt for their choice in a counseling session. NIPER also has reservation for SC, ST, Physically Handicapped and Kashmiri Migrant candidates. Exam for doctoral program is subject and/or department specific. For doctoral studies, normally the PI has sufficient funding to support the student, but in its absence a fellowship via the National Eligibility Test conducted by the University Grants Commission or such student support schemes makes the applicant's case strong.
NIPER functions under the Union ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers. The president of the Republic of India is the visitor of the institute. Its policy architecture is framed and reviewed by a board of governors which includes eminent academicians, members of the parliament and entrepreneurs. The institute is represented by a director, who is also the chief academic and executive officer.
Centres of Expertise
NIPER hosts several research facilities:
- National Bio-availability Center
- National Toxicology Center
- Department of Pharmacoinformatics
- Department of Biotechnology
- Department of Medicinal Chemistry
- Department of Pharmaceutical Analysis
- Department of Pharmacology & Toxicology
- Department of Natural Products
- Department of Pharmaceutics
- Department of Pharmaceutical Technology - Formulation, Biotechnology, Process Chemistry
- Department of Pharmacy Practice
- Department of Traditional Medicine
- National Bioinformatics Facility
- Testing Lab for Stability and Impurity Profiling of Drugs
- Central Instrumentation Laboratory
- National Center for Safety Pharmacology
NIPER Mohali campus spans over an area of 130 acres (0.53 km2), near the Punjab Cricket Association Stadium of S.A.S. Nagar (Mohali). It is a fully residential institute offering unmarried as well as married hostel accommodation. In addition, it offers accommodation to the faculty, staff and visitors.
The institutes run with co-operation from mentor institutes located at the respective places.
Other NIPER's with their mentor institutes are:
- NIPER Ahmedabad (Gujarat). Mentor institute: B. V. Patel PERD Centre (PERD).
- NIPER Hajipur (Bihar). Mentor institute: RMRIMS, Patna.
- NIPER Hyderabad (Andhra Pradesh). Mentor institute IICT Hyderabad.
- NIPER Kolkata (West Bengal). Mentor institute: IICB Kolkata.
- NIPER Raebareli (Uttar Pradesh). Mentor institute: CDRI Lucknow.
- NIPER Guwahati (Assam). Mentor institute: GMCH Guwahati.
However, counseling for these institutes are held at NIPER, SAS nagar (Mohali), Punjab.
The Department of Pharmaceuticals has envisaged an investment Rs 3,000 crore to set up ten more National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (NIPER) over the next five years in to enhance availability of skilled human resources in the pharma sector.
The proposal to set up ten additional NIPERs is one of the many proposals, worth Rs 12,280 crore, that have been submitted to the Planning Commission by the Department of Pharmaceuticals (DoP) under the 12th Five Year Plan.