National Institute of Technology, Jamshedpur
||This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2011)|
|National Institute of Technology Jamshedpur|
|Motto||शंन ॠभवः सुकृतः सुहस्ताः॥|
|Type||Institute of National Importance (INI)|
|Chairman||Dr. Virander S.Chauhan|
|Location||Jamshedpur, Jharkhand, India|
|Campus||350 acres (140 ha)|
|Director||Dr. Rambabu Kodali|
National Institute of Technology Jamshedpur (NIT Jamshedpur), formerly Regional Institute of Technology, Jamshedpur, is a technology higher education institute located at Jamshedpur, Jharkhand, India. It is one of the 30 National Institutes of Technology (NITs) India, and as such is directly under the control of the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD).It is the third NIT opened by Govt. of India, way back in 1960.
National Institute of Technology, Jamshedpur was originally founded as Regional Institute of Technology in 1960 by Dr. Srikrishna Sinha, the then chief minister of the Indian state of Bihar (undivided) at Jamshedpur. Having been a freedom fighter himself, he chose the auspicious day of 15 August 1960 to lay the foundation stone. It was among the first eight Regional Engineering Colleges (RECs) established as part of the Second Five-Year Plan (1956–1961). It was the only REC which was set-up as an institute of technology rather than a college of engineering at that time. It now serves as the NIT for the newly carved state of Jharkhand, while NIT Patna serves as the NIT for the state of Bihar.
The college was upgraded to National Institute of Technology on 27 December 2002, and conferred the status of a Deemed University. It is now under the complete control of the Ministry of Human Resources Development, Government of India, New Delhi since 1 April 2003.
Programs Offered 
- B.Tech(hons.)- The institute offers the 4-year Bachelor of Technology (honours) degree in the following streams of engineering : Civil Engineering, Computer Science & Engineering, Electrical & Electronics Engineering, Electronics & Communications Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Metallurgical & Materials Engineering, Production & Industrial Engineering. Mode of admission: AIEEE (upto 2012), JEE Mains (2013 onwards), conducted by the Central Board of Secondary Education
- M.Tech- The institute also offers the 2-year Master of Technology degree. Mode of Admission: GATE, conducted by the Indian Institutes of Technology
- M.C.A.- Master of Computer Application (3-year degree). Mode of Admission: NIMCET, Jointly conducted by the National Institutes of Technology
- Ph.D- The institute offers Ph.D in the following streams of engineering : Civil Engineering, Computer Science & Engineering, Electrical & Electronics Engineering, Electronics & Communications Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Metallurgical & Materials Engineering, Production & Industrial Engineering.
NIT Jamshedpur's campus consists of 350 acres (1.4 km2) of land located 2 km off the Tata-Seraikella Road. It is 3 km from Adityapur railway station and 11 km from main Tatanagar railway station. The academic and administrative buildings are located between the Up-Hostels and the Down-hostels. The Kharkai River meanders 2 kilometers away from the Down Hostels. The institute is at the center of the industrial belt of Adityapur.The main market place Bistupur is around 5 km from the campus. The Campus is extremely picturesque with Greenery and thick folliage, and mountains in the backdrop. There is a High School(DAV Public School, NIT Campus) located in the institute's campus.
The college 
The Institute's main Gate is the Gate no. 4. The Main road leads to the Main circle of the Institute. The Library, Computer Centre, Administrative Building, Bank, Post Office are situated in the Main Circle. Separate roads lead to the Up and Down Hostels.
Academic Buildings 
The College's Academic buildings are all situated near the Main Administrative Block. All the Departments are housed within Blocks 1-7. Vishwakarma Sabhagriha (VSG) is situated centrally within the Main Complex.
Central Facilities 
- Computer Centre: The Computer Centre serves as the Institute's computing and networking hub. It houses more than 300 machines and also provides high speed internet access to the students and faculty via its 150Mbit/s leased line. There is a VLSI lab above the computer center for VLSI design, for the ECE department.
- Central Digital Library: The Central Digital Library is a three-storied building, which caters to the academic needs of students. It has Reading rooms and Stack rooms. The library subscribes to a number of scientific journals and magazines. The library has a floor space of over 33000 sq. feet and houses over a lakh books.
- Central Workshop: The Central Workshop houses Machinery, laboratories of the Mechanical, Electrical Engineering Departments.
- Institute Dispensary: The Institute has a dispensary to look after the well-being and health of its students. Medicines are also provided free of cost to the students.
- Technology Students' Gymkhana: TSG is the centre for all extra-curricular Activities taking place in the Institute
- Central Store: The Main building also houses a Central Store which has stocks of necessary supplies such as grocery, toiletries, stationery items, food items, etc.
- Bank: The Institute's banking requirements are taken care of the State Bank of India's RIT Branch which is housed within the Main building.
- Post Office: The RIT Post Office provides students with important services such as Speed Post, and other services.
- Canteens: The college has a canteen in the main college area and one in the down's hostel area which is known as "Shyam Da's". Apart from these, Pradeep Sweets and Sudha Dairy also serve food and drinks to the students.
- Guest House: The Institute also maintains a Guest House, situated in the residential Area, for providing accommodation to visitors.
The Hostels are known as Halls of Residence. There are 11 Halls of Residence-nine for boys and two for girls. They have been named in honour of Great Indian personalities. All the Halls have internet access through wi-fi and Institute wide LAN. Each hostel has a Mess and a common room, for recreational purposes such as watching television (DTH service either of Dish TV or Tata Sky), reading, or playing indoor games such as Table-Tennis, Carrom, etc. Each Hall of Residence also has its own Badminton and Volleyball Courts. The Halls of Residence have an atmosphere conducive to the over-all development of its Boarders. The Halls also subscribe to a number of Magazines. Boarders are provided basic furniture such as Table, Chair and a Cot. The Halls of Residences are all H-shaped, with the exception of Girls' Hostels and Vivekanand Hall of Residence, which is Pentagon shaped. Girl's Hostels are situated adjacent to the Computer Centre in the Institute's Residential Area, where the Faculty Quarters are located The Boy's Hostels are located on either side of the Institute's Main building in two complexes- Up Hostels Complex, and Down Hostels Complex. The Up Hostels Complex has 4 hostels within its confines, viz- Hostels A,B,C and D. The Up Hostels Complex is home to 1st year and 2nd year students of the B.Tech Program. The Down Hostels Complex has 5 hostels within its confines, viz- Hostels E,F,G,H and I. These Hostels are home to students of 3rd and 4th years of the B.Tech Programme.
The Halls of Residence are:
Boys' Hostels 
|Aryabhatta Hall of Residence||Hostel-A|
|Nirala Hall of Residence||Hostel-B|
|Bhabha Hall of Residence||Hostel-C|
|Dr. Rajendra Prasad Hall of Residence||Hostel-D|
|Visvesvaraya Hall of Residence||Hostel-E|
|Shivaji Hall of Residence||Hostel-F|
|Subhas Chandra Bose Hall of Residence||Hostel-G|
|Maulana Abul Kalam Hall of Residence||Hostel-H|
|Vivekanand Hall of Residence||Hostel-I|
|Hostel J||Construction to start soon|
|Hostel K||Construction to start soon|
Girls' Hostels 
|Rani Laxmi Bai Hall of Residence||Girls Hostel-1|
|Ambedkar Hall of Residence||Girls Hostel-2|
The Institute has the following departments:
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering(CSE)
- Electronics & Communications Engineering
- Electrical & Electronics Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metallurgical and Materials Engineering(MME)
- Production and Industrial Engineering
- Department of Computer Application
- Humanities & English
Students' Activities 
The Student Activity Section of the institute is highly active. College clubs include:
- CES: Civil Engineering Society is an initiative taken by the 2008-2012 Batch of Civil Engineering Department, N.I.T. Jamshedpur, to provide a healthier platform, for the students of Civil Engineering to showcase their talents in their field of interest.The official website of the society is www.cesnitjsr.com
- MES: Mechanical Engineering Society is an initiative taken by the Mechanical Engineering Department, N.I.T. Jamshedpur, to provide a healthier platform, for the students of Mechanical Engineering to showcase their talents in their field of interest.The society was formed on 5th September 2009.It consists of 400 members.It aims at “Improvement of all, keeping in mind, Involvement of all”. It provides a backbone to the sprouting ideas of the budding engineers.This society is run by the students and for the students, under the able guidance of Prof.R.V.Sharma & Dr.M.K.Sinha. It organizes various technical events,workshops, quiz competitions, guest lectures, industrial visits, and improving awareness among the students.It provides everyone with enough opportunities to broaden their restraints and burgeon their ideations. Visit the official MES site : http://mesnitjsr.in/
- SAE: Society of Automotive Engineers is the SAE collegiate chapter of NIT Jamshedpur. It was started in 2007. It aims to provide a platform for students across disciplines who are passionate about automobiles and related fields. Though most student members are from the Mechanical Engineering department, students from other departments are also active in its programs. Prof. Sanjay and Prof. Shailendra Kumar, both from the Mechanical Engineering department, have been serving as faculty advisors since its inception. The chapter has taken part in national and international level competitions like Baja,FSAE,shell Eco-marathon and Efficycle.
- CDS: Cultural and Dramatics Society is the largest club in NIT Jamshedpur. It has 150 members who take part in vocals (Eastern and Western), choreography, dancing (group and solo), dramatics (including street play and skit), anchoring and RJ, and rock bands. CDS has participation in the college National Level Cultural Fest Utkarsh. CDS conducts competitions in rock bands, choreography, vocals, and street play.
- LDS: The Literary and Debating Society serves as a platforms where students can showcase their talents. It conducts debates, JAMs, GDs and Dumb-charades. LDS is one of the most active & happening clubs in the NIT campus, it conducts events which aim to strike the right balance between fun & much needed linguistic prowess. The club has 25 members.
- NSS (National Service Scheme) is a society which strives to inculcate good social habits among the students. Its activities include cleaning of the campus, spreading awareness about the environment, visits to nearby slums to improve empathy towards the deprived classes, organizing Blood Donation Camps, building websites for free for nearby industries as the college is situated in Adityapur Industrial Area.
- VEC: The Values & Ethics Club was started in 2009. This club run under the guidance of Prof. R.V.Sharma.It conducts workshop on Art of Living,Bhartiya sanskriti, guest lectures,yoga and various other programs.
- FACES: Fine Arts Club for Engineering Students is club for those students who have passion for painting, sketching, thermocoal modeling, calligraphy, card design, collage making, and clay modeling
- Sankalp: This group pledges to teach the students of slums for free, students from the go to nearby slums and teach the kids.
- SSS: Soft Skills Society
- Engineers Adventure Club
- CSI Student Chapter
- IEEE Student Chapter
- Robotics Club
- Sun Club
- Zayin Sports Club promotes gaming in the college. The seven star logo of Zayin comes from its name Zayin (seven).
College teams 
Top Guns 
Top Guns is the aero-design team of the college. Founded in 2009, the team primarily participates in the SAE Aero Design competition  organised by SAE International in association with NASA and Lockheed Martin. The team won the NASA Systems Enginnering Award in 2011.
Official website www.topguns.co.in
Technical and Cultural Festivals 
Ojass is the annual techno-management festival of the college. This festival showcases the technical and managerial skill of the students. The various events in OJASS are Technical Paper presentation, Robotics, Programming, circuit design, simulation, quizzes and the list goes on. The events draw participation from renowned institutions like IITs, NITs and other colleges of India along with students of this college. A lot of emphasis is laid on ensuring the quality of the event. Eminent Guest lecturers are invited to talk to the students.
Utkarsh is the annual cultural festival of the college.It is organised at national level and participants from the colleges all over India participate. The attraction of Utkarsh is 'Shades' which is organised by the college's FACES club members. In this a whole room is decorated in a theme using junk items. The cultural fest consists of competitions for dance, singing,fine arts, Group Discussion(GD), JAM, Antakshri, and a fashion show. Other attractions are juke box, paper dance, street play, x-games, rock concert, and hasya kavi sammelan. Utkarsh '12 was a mega-success, the institute had roped in RAETH-The Band from Pakistan to play for the students.
Cryptex is a techno-management fest organized by the Department of Computer Science and Engineering to generate IT awareness.
Technica - Annual metallurgy fest by Department of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
The Institute has adequate Sports facilities for its students. Students of NIT, Jamshedpur have made the Institute proud on numerous occasions, at inter-NIT sports tournaments. Every Hall of Residence has its own Badminton and Volleyball Courts, Table-Tennis and Carrom facilities are housed in the Common Rooms. The Institute has a Football Ground, Basketball Court, Lawn Tennis Court in the Up Hostels Complex. The Cricket Ground and Technology Students' Gymkahana are situated in the Down Hostels Complex.
Athletes Meet 
Athletes Meet - annual sports event.
Vivek Memorial cricket tournament 
Vivek Memorial Cricket Tournament is conducted every year. This event sees participation from over 50 colleges in Eastern region.
- Monthly newsletter -
- Annual magazine - Manthan
- Annual Production and Industrial Engineering branch magazine - Prodigy
Alumni Association 
The alumni have organized the "Global Summit on Infrastructure Development of Jharkhand" and the "Trade Technology Show" at NIT campus in January 2003 to provide guidance to the state government in formulating its policies. Members of the alumni association not only from India but also from abroad participated in these two events.
NIT (RIT) alumni association organized the "India Power Conclave" in New Delhi during January 2004, which was a forum for 600 delegates from all across the globe to explore the Indian power sector's investment potential of USD 400 billion and the way ahead.
Notable alumni 
- Chitranjan Sahay, Chairman of Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Hartford,USA
- A. K. Lahiri, Head, Metallurgical Engineering Department, IISc Bangalore
- Ram Vinay Shahi, longest serving power secretary of India, and Best Power Man of the Millennium Year 2000
- C. B. K. Rao, Managing Director, Delhi Metro Project
- R.T. Singh, Served as CMD, Bharat Bhari Udyog Nigam Limited, and at present he is G.M. Operations at Tata Motors, Jamshedpur
- P. K. Goel, Advisor, Ministry of Small Scale Industries, Government of India
- Arun Gauba, Additional Director(QA), Ministry of Defense, Government of India
- P. Narayan, G.M., Indian Security Press, Nasik, Ministry of Finance, Government of India
- Malli Mastan Babu, http://www.1stindian7summits.com/felicitationsawards.html
- Rajesh Kalathur, C.F.O, Deere & Co, Moline, USA.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: National Institute of Technology, Jamshedpur|