National Institute of Technology, Jamshedpur
|National Institute of Technology Jamshedpur|
शंन ॠभवः सुकृतः सुहस्ताः॥(Sanskrit)
|Chairman||Dr. Virander S.Chauhan|
|Location||Jamshedpur, Jharkhand, India|
|Campus||350 acres (140 ha)|
|Director||Dr. Rambabu Kodali|
The National Institute of Technology Jamshedpur (NIT Jamshedpur), is an Institute of National Importance located at Jamshedpur, Jharkhand, India. Established as a Regional Institute of Technology in 1960, it was upgraded to National Institute of Technology(NIT) on 27 December 2002 with the status of a Deemed University. It is one of the 30 NITs in India, and as such is directly under the control of the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD). It is the third in the chain of 8 NITs established as a part of the Second Five Year Plan(1956–61) by the Government of India.
- 1 History
- 2 Programs Offered
- 3 Campus
- 4 Departments
- 5 Students' Activities
- 6 Technical and Cultural Festivals
- 7 Sports
- 8 Magazines
- 9 Alumni Association
- 10 Notable alumni
- 11 See also
- 12 References
- 13 External links
National Institute of Technology, Jamshedpur was originally founded as Regional Institute of Technology in 1960 by Dr.Srikrishna Sinha, the then Chief Minister of the state of Bihar(unpartitioned) at Jamshedpur. The auspicious day of 15 August 1960 was chosen to lay the foundation stone. It was among the first eight Regional Engineering Colleges (RECs) established as part of the Second Five-Year Plan (1956–1961). It now serves as the NIT for the newly carved state of Jharkhand, while NIT Patna serves as the NIT for the state of Bihar.
B.Tech(hons.)- The institute offers a 4-year Bachelor of Technology degree in the following streams :
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metallurgical and material science engineering
- Manufacturing Engineering
M.Tech- The institute also offers a 2-year Master of Technology degree. Mode of Admission: GATE, conducted by the Indian Institutes of Technology. M.C.A.- Master of Computer Application (3-year degree). Mode of Admission: NIMCET, Jointly conducted by the National Institutes of Technology Ph.D- The institute offers a Ph.D degree in the following streams of engineering : Civil Engineering, Computer Science & Engineering, Electrical & Electronics Engineering, Electronics & Communications Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Metallurgical & Materials Engineering, Production & Industrial Engineering. Continuing Education- The Institute offers a Twelve Semester course in Mechanical and Electrical disciplines under the Non-formal B.Sc. Engg. Education Programme.
NIT Jamshedpur's campus consists of 350 acres (1.4 km2) of land located 2 km off the Tata-Seraikella Road. It is 3 km from Adityapur railway station and 11 km from main Tatanagar railway station. The Academic and Administrative buildings are located between the Up-Hostels complex and the Down hostels complex. The Kharkai River meanders 2 kilometers away from the Down Hostels. The institute is at the center of the industrial belt of Adityapur. The main market place, Bistupur is around 5 km from the campus. The Campus is extremely picturesque with greenery and thick foliage, and mountains in the backdrop. There is a High School( DAV Public School, NIT Campus) located in the campus.
The Institute's Main Gate is located at the eastern end of the campus. The main road leads to the main circle of the Institute. The Library, Computer Centre, Administrative Building, Banks, Post Office are situated in the Main Circle. Separate roads lead to the Up's and Down's Hostel Complexes.
The College's Academic buildings are all situated near the Main Administrative Block. All the Departments are housed within Blocks 1–7. Vishwakarma Sabhagriha (VSG) is situated centrally within the Main Complex.
- Computer Center: The Computer Center serves as the Institute's computing and networking hub. It houses more than 300 systems and also provides high speed internet access to the students and faculty via its 150Mbit/s leased line. There is a VLSI lab above the computer center for VLSI design, for the ECE department.
- Central Digital Library: The Central Digital Library is a three-storied building, which caters to the academic needs of students. It has Reading rooms and Stack rooms. The library subscribes to a number of scientific journals and magazines. The library has a floor space of over 33000 sq. feet and houses well over a 100,000 books.
- Central Workshop: The Central Workshop houses Machinery, laboratories of the Mechanical, Electrical Engineering Departments.
- Institute Dispensary: The Institute has a dispensary to look after the well-being and health of its students. Medicines are also provided free of cost to the students.
- Technology Students' Gymkhana: TSG is the centre for all Extra-curricular activities taking place in the Institute
- Central Store: The main building also houses a Central Store which has stocks of necessary supplies such as grocery, toiletries, stationery items, food items, etc.
- Bank: The Institute's banking requirements are taken care by the State Bank of India's RIT Branch which is housed within the Main building.
- Post Office: The RIT Post Office provides students with important services such as Speed Post and other services.
- Canteens: The college has canteens and stationery centers in and around the main administrative building and the hostel complexes.
There are a total of Eleven hostels also known as Halls of Residence, Nine for boys and two for girls. They have been named in honour of Great Indian personalities. All the Halls have internet access through Wi-Fi and Institute wide LAN. Each hostel has a Mess and a common room, for recreational purposes such as watching TV, reading, or playing indoor games such as Table-Tennis, Carrom, etc. Each Hall of Residence also has its own Badminton and Volleyball Courts. The Halls of Residence have an atmosphere conducive to the over-all development of its Boarders. The Halls also subscribe to a number of Magazines. Girl's Hostels are situated adjacent to the Computer Centre in the Institute's Residential Area, where the Faculty Quarters are located. The Boy's Hostels are located on either side of the Institute's Main building in two complexes- Up Hostels Complex, and Down Hostels Complex. The Up Hostels Complex has 4 hostels within its confines, viz- Hostels A,B,C and D. The Up Hostels Complex is home to 1st year and 2nd year students of the B.Tech Program. The Down Hostels Complex has 5 hostels within its confines, viz- Hostels E,F,G,H and I. These Hostels are home to students of 3rd and 4th years of the B.Tech programme.
The Halls of Residence are:
|Aryabhatta Hall of Residence||Hostel-A|
|Nirala Hall of Residence||Hostel-B|
|Bhabha Hall of Residence||Hostel-C|
|Dr. Rajendra Prasad Hall of Residence||Hostel-D|
|Visvesvaraya Hall of Residence||Hostel-E|
|Shivaji Hall of Residence||Hostel-F|
|Subhas Chandra Bose Hall of Residence||Hostel-G|
|Maulana Abul Kalam Hall of Residence||Hostel-H|
|Vivekanand Hall of Residence||Hostel-I|
|Mega Hostel J||Under Construction|
|Mega Hostel K||Under Construction|
|Rani Laxmi Bai Hall of Residence|
|Ambedkar Hall of Residence|
The Institute has the following departments:
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering(CSE)
- Electronics & Communications Engineering
- Electrical & Electronics Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metallurgical and Materials Engineering(MME)
- Manufacturing Engineering
- Department of Computer Applications
- Humanities & English
The Student Activity Section of the institute is highly active. College clubs include:
- CES: Civil Engineering Society is an initiative taken by the 2008–2012 Batch of Civil Engineering Department, N.I.T. Jamshedpur, to provide a healthier platform, for the students of Civil Engineering to showcase their talents in their field of interest. This has greatly helped civil engineering students in their overall performances and placements. The official website of the society is www.cesnitjsr.com
- CSI NIT Jamshedpur is a relatively new society which was started on 1 April 2011.It conducts several activities such as conferences, exhibitions, workshops and training programmes so as to develop the IT skills of the students.
- MES: Mechanical Engineering Society is an initiative taken by the Mechanical Engineering Department, N.I.T. Jamshedpur, to provide a healthier platform, for the students of Mechanical Engineering to showcase their talents in their field of interest.The society was formed on 5 September 2009.It consists of 400 members.It aims at "Improvement of all, keeping in mind, Involvement of all". It provides a backbone to the sprouting ideas of the budding engineers.This society is run by the students and for the students, under the able guidance of Prof.R.V.Sharma & Dr.M.K.Sinha. It organizes various technical events,workshops, quiz competitions, guest lectures, industrial visits, and improving awareness among the students.It provides everyone with enough opportunities to broaden their restraints and burgeon their ideations.
- SAE: Society of Automotive Engineers is the SAE collegiate chapter of NIT Jamshedpur. It was started in 2007. It aims to provide a platform for students across disciplines who are passionate about automobiles and related fields. Though most student members are from the Mechanical Engineering department, students from other departments are also active in its programs. Prof. Sanjay and Prof. Shailendra Kumar, both from the Mechanical Engineering department, have been serving as faculty advisors since its inception. The chapter has taken part in national and international level competitions like Baja,FSAE,shell Eco-marathon and Efficycle.
- NARM Robotics Club- The club aims at providing an active platform for developing the practical machine building skills of the students. Established with the tag "Together, everyone achieves more", NARM Robotics club carries the baton for NIT Jamshedpur in several national and international robotics events. The club was established with the vision to aid the Robofreaks in the Institute to participate in the popular techfests in the country and abroad.
- CDS: Cultural and Dramatics Society is the largest club in NIT Jamshedpur. It has 150 members who take part in vocals (Eastern and Western), choreography, dancing (group and solo), dramatics (including street play and skit), anchoring and RJ, and rock bands. CDS has participation in the college National Level Cultural Fest Utkarsh. CDS conducts competitions in rock bands, choreography, vocals, and street play.
- LDS: The Literary and Debating Society serves as a platforms where students can showcase their talents. It conducts debates, JAMs, GDs and Dumb-charades. LDS is one of the most active & happening clubs in the NIT campus, it conducts events which aim to strike the right balance between fun & much needed linguistic prowess. The club has 25 members.
- NSS (National Service Scheme) is a society which strives to inculcate good social habits among the students. Its activities include cleaning of the campus, spreading awareness about the environment, visits to nearby slums to improve empathy towards the deprived classes, organizing Blood Donation Camps, building websites for free for nearby industries as the college is situated in Adityapur Industrial Area.
- VEC: The Values & Ethics Club was started in 2009. This club run under the guidance of Prof. R.V.Sharma.It conducts workshop on Art of Living,Bhartiya sanskriti, guest lectures,yoga and various other programs.
- FACES: Fine Arts Club for Engineering Students is club for those students who have passion for painting, sketching, thermocoal modeling, calligraphy, card design, collage making, and clay modeling
- Sankalp: This group pledges to teach the students of slums for free. Students from the institute go to nearby slums and teach the kids.
- SSS: Soft Skills Society was founded in 2007 so as to develop the communication and the personality development skills of the students. The society conducts seminars and workshops on Group Discussions, Case Study and Mock HR Interviews.
- Engineers Adventure Club
- CSI Student Chapter
- IEEE Student Chapter
- Sun Club
- Zayin Sports Club promotes gaming in the college. The seven star logo of Zayin comes from its name Zayin (seven).
- Earn and Learn Scheme: It is an initiative taken by the College Administration and the Director Dr.Rambabu Kodali to help the financially needy students of nearby villages by providing them free coaching classes in Science and Maths along with preparation for competitive examinations. The Program became active from 30 October 2013. They are taught by the selected meritorious, but financially needy students of B.Tech program. The students are in turn remunerated by the College Administration.
Team Top Guns
Top Guns is the aero-design team of the college. Founded in 2009, the team primarily participates in the SAE Aero Design competition  organised by SAE International in association with NASA and Lockheed Martin. This team has fabricated six UAVs. Two of those are of micro class, two are of regular class and the rest of the UAVs are of advanced class. The team won the NASA Systems Enginnering Award in 2011.
Pioneers of aero-designing in college, Team phoenix is a group of engineering connoisseurs committed to perform high-end aircraft designing and engineering. This team founded by a model-aircraft enthusiast Pratibha Tripathi, along with its committed team members Indushekhar Prasad Singh, Hitesh Singh, Shalini das, Abhinav Singhavi, Alka sethi and Varija raj under the skilful guidance of Dr. M.K. Sinha. From the very beginning this team has been active in various national, international events and has achieved new heights in aviation field. Some of our team achievements are as follows: Participated in two categories of SAE Aero design 2013 competition organised by SAE and Lockheed Martin, in California, USA, and stood 18th in whole world as well as 1st among all Indian teams in regular category.
Also both our aircraft were given NASA system engineering certificate as they fulfilled all the technical requirements of NASA.
Ours was the only Indian team to qualify among top 68 world teams to combat in world's most prestigious student Design/Build/Fly competition organized by American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) in collaboration with Cessna aircraft company/Raytheon Missile Systems held at Wichita, KS, USA in the year 2012.
We also believe in incorporating new ideas and Innovations in our RC models. Some of those significant efforts are listed below: Passenger RC aircraft made from Fibre reinforced plastic (FRP).
Soldier portable UAV (Unmanned Aero Vehicle) made from balsa wood.
Working on designs of an efficient model of aircraft capable of accurately dropping a thirty three pound (33lb) humanitarian aid package from a minimum of hundred feet off the ground and another system containing a portable UAV and launching system within specified packaging requirements.
Also we are making effort to incorporate Aerial image processing in UAV, which can be a major breakthrough in innovation of RC aircraft. These aircraft can prove really handy stuff for surveillance purpose ranging from traffic management to rescue operations in disasters, terrorist attacks etc.
Current members of the team are Tarun Kedia, Ashish Ranjan, Adarsh Giri, Sumit Ranjan, Kumar Harsh Vardhan, Abhijeet Kumar, Vishal Kumar Roy, Shubham Upadhyay, Nikhil Mishra, Pinaki Shaw, Pooja Jaiswal, Anita Singh and Divya.
Founded in the year 2009 by a group of automobile enthusiasts, it took on the challenge to design, manufacture and run a Formula SAE project car. This team has not only won events in India but has also participated in various international events, bringing laurels to the college as well as country.
It successfully participated in the Formula Student UK-2011 held at Silverstone Racing Circuit with its 2nd Car DR211 and secured 5th position amongst 133 teams from all over the world for the Prestigious Airbus Team Work Award. It also happened to be the only Asian team to be short listed for the same. Rank 5 also was the highest rank achieved by an Indian team at the event.
Earlier, Team Drift successfully participated in the static event of Formula SAE Australasia 2010, held in December, 2010 at Victoria University, Melbourne, Australia. The team secured 1st place in the cost event of FSAE Australasia and the car design was designated as the "MOST ECONOMICAL CAR DESIGN". Drift Racing Team was the second Indian team to win an International Formula SAE event and is the First Indian team to win in its very first international appearance.
Supra SAE India in 2009 was its first event, held at Anna University, Chennai. The car built by the team, DR110, was rated 1st in car evaluation and the team finished 3rd overall.
On 26 March 2009 the SAE collegiate chapter of NIT Jamshedpur took off, as Daksh (then known as NITJAM) came to existence. Since then it has has been the bearer of the institute pride and prestige at national as well as at international stage. Daksh represents NIT Jamshedpur at Baja SAE which is an engineering megaevent with more than 325 teams participating in Baja SAE India 2014, making it one of the largest events of India. On January 2014, the team also participated in the inaugural event of Baja Student India (earlier known as Delta Shootout), held at the home turf. The event is only the second of its kind in the whole country and will continue to be organised at the NIT Campus for coming years.
Baja events simulate real-world engineering design projects and their related challenges where students are tasked to design and build an off-road vehicle (also known as ATV. The competition tests the teams on various grounds through static as well as dynamic events like acceleration run, hill climbing and more. Students from various streams work enthusiastically to see the work from papers run through the college roads. Students involved in the team are not only technically sound, but the team even nourishes the seeds of innovation in them, which is the backbone of engineering.
Earlier, this team has won the BEST ENGINEERING AWARD at Baja SAE India 2010, SAFEST VEHICLE AWARD at Baja SAE South Africa 2010 and GO GREEN AWARD at Baja SAE India 2011 where it also ranked 3rd in the Endurance race. In the latest event of Baja SAE India 2014, the team was 16th overall. It ranked among the top 5 in the events of Hill Climb, Maneuverability and Cost Report and also among the top 15 in Design Evaluation and CAE. The team did a tremendous job developing one of the lightest vehicles in the competition. 
Technical and Cultural Festivals
Ojass is the annual techno-management festival of the college. This festival showcases the technical and managerial skill of the students. The various events in OJASS are Technical Paper presentation, Robotics, Coding, circuit design, simulation, quizzes and the list goes on. One event called KIRAN has been highly successful which is focussed on disaster management. The events draw participation from renowned institutions like IITs, NITs and other colleges of India along with students of this college. A lot of emphasis is laid on ensuring the quality of the event. Eminent Personalities are invited for Guest Lectures and interaction with students.
Utkarsh is the annual cultural festival of the college.It is organised at national level and students from colleges all over India participate. The main attraction of Utkarsh is 'Shades' in which a room is decorated in a theme using junk items only.This Event is conducted by the FACES club. The cultural fest consists of competitions for dance, singing,fine arts, Group Discussion(GD), JAM, Antakshri, and a fashion show. Other attractions are juke box, paper dance, street play, x-games, rock concert, and hasya kavi sammelan. Utkarsh '12 was a mega-success, the institute had roped in RAETH-The Band from Pakistan to play for the students.
Cryptex is a techno-management fest organized by the Department of Computer Science and Engineering to assess IT awareness.
TECHNICA, the annual national symposium fest of Department of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering, NIT Jamshedpur in association with Indian Institute of Metals (IIM) Jamshedpur chapter, is a unique forum where students from different institutes of national repute come together on one platform to showcase their technical expertise. It also gives them an opportunity of a lifetime to interact with the stalwarts in the field who share their expertise, to experience the cutting edge technologies and developments in this field through plethora of events. In the year 2014, the event spanned over three days (17 to 19 January) ,of enthusiastic participation, intense contests, spectacular presentations and nerve bending quizzes.
The Institute has adequate Sports facilities for its students. Students of NIT, Jamshedpur have made the Institute proud on numerous occasions, at inter-NIT sports tournaments. Every Hall of Residence has its own Badminton and Volleyball Courts, Table-Tennis and Carrom facilities are housed in the Common Rooms. The Institute has a Football Ground, Basketball Court, Lawn Tennis Court in the Up Hostels Complex. The Cricket Ground and Technology Students' Gymkahana are situated in the Down Hostels Complex.
Athletics Meet – the Annual Institute Sports event taking place every year in the even semester.
Vivek Memorial cricket tournament
Vivek Memorial Cricket Tournament is conducted every year. This event sees participation from over 50 colleges
- Annual magazine – Manthan
- Annual Manufacturing Engineering branch magazine – Prodigy
- Online Fortnightly Newsletter – Campus Sapience
- Civil Engineering Magazine - Aakriti
The alumni have organized the "Global Summit on Infrastructure Development of Jharkhand" and the "Trade Technology Show" at NIT Jamshedpur in January 2003 to assist the state government in formulating its policies. Members of the alumni association from India and abroad took part in these events. NIT (RIT) alumni association also took part in the "India Power Conclave" at New Delhi during January 2004, which was a forum for 600 delegates from all across the globe, to explore the Indian power sector's investment potential of USD 400 billion and the way ahead.
- C. B. K. Rao, Former Director, Delhi Metro Rail Corporation Limited & Executive Director DLF Limited
- Chitranjan Sahay, Chairman of Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Hartford,USA
- A. K. Lahiri, Head, Metallurgical Engineering Department, IISc Bangalore
- Ram Vinay Shahi, longest serving power secretary of India, and Best Power Man of the Millennium Year 2000
- R. P. Singh, Former Chairman & Managing Director, Bharat Bhari Udyog Nigam Limited
- P. K. Goel, Advisor, Ministry of Small Scale Industries, Government of India
- Arun Gauba, Additional Director(QA), Ministry of Defense, Government of India
- P. Narayan, G.M., Indian Security Press, Nasik, Ministry of Finance, Government of India
- Malli Mastan Babu, Fasted 7 summiteer in the world
- Rajesh Kalathur, C.F.O, Deere & Co, Moline, USA.
- Vidya Sagar Sharma, Chief Engineer , Tata Steel, Jamshedpur
- Dr. Shailendra Kumar, Director, IT-GGV(Central University), Bilaspur
- Dr. Bijay Kumar Singh, Director, Seemant Institute Of Technology, Pithoragarh, Uttrakhand
- National Institute of Technology, Silchar
- National Institute of Technology, Karnataka
- National Institute of Technology, Bhopal
- "About us". NIT Jamshedpur. Retrieved 12 June 2013.
- "NIT-Adityapur to get hostel by next year". The Times of India. Retrieved 19 July 2013.
- "Civil Engineering Society". NITJSR. Retrieved 14 June 2013.
- "CSI NITJSR". NIT Jamshedpur. Retrieved 14 June 2013.
- "MES". Retrieved 17 July 2014.
- "SANKALP". Students of NIT Jamshedpur. Retrieved 14 June 2013.
- "Top Guns". NITJSR. Retrieved 14 June 2013.
- "2011 Awards – Aero Design West". SAE International. Retrieved 23 November 2012.
- Team Drift
- Target Study
- Social Geographics
- Race Car Engineering
- Formula SAE Australasia
- Telegraph India
- "Team Daksh". Retrieved 17 July 2014.
- "OJASS 13". NITJSR. Retrieved 14 June 2013.
- "Alumni,NITJSR". Alumni,NIT Jamshedpur. Retrieved 14 June 2013.
- "World's Fastest 7 Summiteer". Retrieved 17 July 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to National Institute of Technology, Jamshedpur.|
- Official website
- Official Facebook Page
- Official Ojass website
- Official Utkarsh website
- Official Team Phoenix website
- Official Top Guns website
- Official website – Team Daksh
- Official website – NIT Jamshedpur Alumni Association
- Official website- Technica-Annual National fest of Department of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering, NIT Jamshedpur