National Institute of Technology, Kurukshetra
|This article or section may have been copied and pasted from http://www.nitkkr.ac.in/institute.php?page=1 (Duplication Detector report), possibly in violation of Wikipedia's copyright policy. Please remedy this by editing this article to remove any non-free copyrighted content and attributing free content correctly, or flagging the content for deletion. Please be sure that the source of the copyright violation is not itself a Wikipedia mirror. (May 2013)|
|This article relies on references to primary sources. (April 2013)|
|National Institute of Technology Kurukshetra|
|Director||Prof. Anand Mohan|
|Location||Kurukshetra, Haryana, India|
|Campus||330 acres (1.3 km2)|
The National Institute of Technology, Kurukshetra (NIT Kurukshetra), formerly Regional Engineering College, Kurukshetra, is a public engineering institution wholly funded by Government of India. In December 2008, it was accredited with the status of Institute of National Importance (INI). It is one of the twenty National Institutes of Technology established and administered by Government of India. It runs undergraduate and postgraduate programs in Engineering and Doctor of Philosophy programme in Engineering, Sciences and Humanities.
National Institute of Technology Kurukshetra, Haryana is a premier Technical Institute of the region. The institute started working as Regional Engineering College, Kurukshetra in 1963. Like other Regional Engineering Colleges of India this institution too, had been a joint enterprise of the State and Central Governments. This Institute was conferred upon status of Deemed University on June 26, 2002. Since then it has been renamed as National Institute of Technology, Kurukshetra.
The Institute started functioning in its present campus at Kurukshetra in 1965-66 with 120 students admitted in the first year of the Five-Year Courses of study for the B.Sc. (Engg.) Degree in Civil, Electrical and Mechanical Engineering. The annual intake was increased to 250 students in 1966-67. B.Sc. (Engg.) degree courses in Electronics and Communication Engineering was added in 1971-72. in 1967-68 M. Sc. (Engg.) degree courses in Electronics and Communication Engineering was added in 1971-72. In 1967-68 M. Sc. (Engg.) degree courses in Civil, Electrical and Mechanical Engineering and in 1971-72, a Postgraduate diploma in Scientific instrumentation were also started. In July, 1976 Part-Time M. Sc. ( Engg.) degree courses in Electronics and Communication Engineering and instrumentation were started. The First registration for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy in the Faculty of Engineering and Technology was made in July, 1967.
The Institute changed over to the 4-year B.Tech. Degree courses with effect from the academic year 1985-86. The new courses was designated as B. Tech.
Special three-year degree courses in Civil, Electrical and Mechanical Engineering, designated as 'Bachelor of Engineering for in-service engineering diploma holders were introduced from the session 1982-83. However, these courses were discontinued by the Govt. of Haryana in the year 2000.
The 2-year M.Sc. (Engg.) degree courses in various disciplines were re designated as M. Tech. degree courses with effect form the session 1983-84. Now the duration of the Courses is 2 years.
From the session 1987-88, the Institute introduced a four-year B. Tech. degree programme in Computer Engineering with an intake of 30 students. The institute also introduced a full time M. Tech. Degree courses in Electronics and Communication Engineering with and intake of 13. The intake of B. Tech. Electronics and communication Engineering degree courses was increased from 30 to 60 from the session 1987-88. Full time M. Tech. degree courses in Water Resources (Civil Engineering Dept.) was introduced in 1989-90.
In the session 2006-07, the Institute introduced a two-year MBA programme and two four-year B. Tech. degree programmes in Information Technology and Industrial Engineering Management. From the session 2007-08, the Institute started a three-year MCA programme. Each of these newly introduced courses has intake of 60 students.
In addition to providing instructions in various disciplines of Engineering and Technology at the Undergraduate and Postgraduate level, the Institute offers excellent facilities for advanced research in the emerging areas of Science and Technology. The syllabus and the curricula are constantly being updated to meet the growing demands and need of the country in different areas of technology. The infrastructure is geared to enable the Institute to turn out technical personnel of a high quality.
Institute celebrated its 50th Institute Foundation day on September 15, 2012. The year long Golden Jubilee year celebrations were inaugurated on that day.
The institute is in the city of Kurukshetra, Haryana. Kurukshetra is a place of great spiritual significance, where Lord Krishna delivered the divine message of "Shrimad Bhagwad Gita". The place from where knowledge spread everywhere was chosen as his capital by King Harshwardhana. It is one of the premier centres of pilgrimage. Kurukshetra is a railway junction on the Delhi-Karnal-Ambala section of the Northern Railway. It is 160 km from Delhi and 90 km from Chandigarh.
The institute campus is 10 km from Pipli, a road junction on the Sher Shah Suri Marg (NH-1) and 5 km from Kurukshetra Railway station. It is adjacent to the Kurukshetra University.
The Bachelor of Technology admissions for Indian students were based on the AIEEE (All India Engineering Entrance Examination). The exam consists of three sections on Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry. However, from the year 2013, admission will be done through the Indian Science Engineering Eligibility Test,and ranks will be given after considering 60% of the marks scored in the test, and 40% in the class 12 Board examinations. The B. Tech admissions for foreign students are done through Direct Admission of Students Abroad(DASA)Scheme.
M. Tech students are admitted to the program through the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) conducted by the Indian Institutes of Technology and the Indian Institute of Science. MCA students are admitted through NIMCET, The admissions to the MBA program in the institute is based on the CAT/JMET result. The short listed candidates will have to undergo Group Discussion / Personal Interview for the final selection.
In the administration of the Institute, the Director is the Principal Academic and Executive Officer of the Institute and is responsible for the proper administration of the Institute and for imparting instructions and maintenance of discipline therein. He is assisted in his day to day work by Deans, Chairmen of the Departments, Professor-in-Charges, Registrar and other Officers and various committees of the Institute.
NIT Kurukshetra awards undergraduate B.Tech in various engineering fields in a four year programme. It offers postgraduate (PG) M.Tech degrees in similar engineering fields as well as Physics. The M.Tech degree is awarded after four semesters (two years) or two semesters for relevant PG diploma holders. Ph.D. research programmes are offered in engineering, sciences, humanities & social sciences as well as computer applications. As of 2006 it also offers an MBA degree.
- Computer Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Information Technology Engineering
- Industrial Engineering and Management
- Mechanical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
Graduate programs 
The Institute offers Master of Technology Degree in various specializations in all departments:
- Civil Engineering Department
* Structural Engineering * Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering * Transportation Engineering * Environmental Engineering * Water Resources Engineering
- Computer Engineering Department
* Computer Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering Department
* Electronics and Communication Engineering * VLSI Design
- Electrical Engineering Department
* Power System * Power Electronics and Drives * Control System
- Mechanical Engineering Department
* Machine Design * Thermal Engineering * Industrial and Production Engineering
- Department of Computer Application
* Master of Computer Application
- Department of Business Administration
* Master of Business Administration
- Department of Physics
* Instrumentation Engineering * Nano Technology
Departments and Centers 
The Institute has following departments:
- Mechanical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Business Administration
- Computer Applications
The Institute has following Schools of excellence:
- School of VLSI Design and Embedded Systems
- School of Renewable Energy and Efficiency
The campus extends over an area of 300 acres imaginatively laid down on a picturesque landscape. It presents a spectacle of harmony in architecture and natural beauty. The campus has been organised into three functional sectors: Hostels for the students, Instructional buildings and Residential sector for the staff.
Hostels for students are located towards Eastern side of the campus in the form of cluster. Three storey buildings of hostels provide comfortable accommodation and pleasing environment to students.
The instructional buildings have been located between the two residential sectors in order to reduce walking distance. A full fledged health centre manned by qualified doctors, a Post Office and a branch of the State Bank of India are located at convenient points on the Campus. For organising cultural activities there's an Open Air Theater and an auditorium - Jubilee Hall.
Student life 
The life of student in NIT Kurukshetra is enthusiastic and competitive. Additional to academic activities the NIT students are indulged in many technical,cultural and managerial events throughout the year. For Technical activities there are 5 societies associated with each branch named MICROBUS, TECHNOBYTE, ELECTRORECK, MECHSOC, INFRASTRUCTURE which organizes the events for electronics, computers, electrical, mechanical and civil branches respectively. These 5 societies along with a 6th one named Mexperts for PG students organzies technical fest Altius and techspardha each year in the college.
In addition to this there are three more technical groups named Embedded robotics club(EMR), Aeromodeling club and SAE-NITK(Society of automative Engineers) which are committed to organize technical events as well as technical knowledge of students in the field of Robotics,Aeromodelling and Automobile.
For cultural activities there are following clubs in the college :
1. MAD(Music and Dramatics) 2. Photography 3. Fine Arts and Modelling 4. English Literature and Debate Club 5. Hindi Literature and Debate Club 6. SAC 7. Spic Macay 8. AVA(Audio Visual Aid)
these clubs organizes a cultural fest named Confluence every year.
Halls of Residence 
NIT Kurukshetra has nine boys and three girls hostels. Three boys hostels are triple bedded and the rest are single bedded. All the rooms in Post-graduate hostel are single bedded. All the hostels are named alphabetically from A to I. all the names are having relevance to the characters of Mahabharta.Continuing this trend the new Mega boys Hostel(Hostel no.10 ) is also named alphabetically in the same series as 'Jagdishwar Bhawan' starting from 'J'.
|10||Jagdishwar Bhawan ( to be inaugurated)|
There are three girls hostels also.They are named as:
|Header text||Header text|
NIT Kurukshetra is constantly ranked as one of the best engineering colleges in Haryana. This college has given so many people who are at a notable position in India. The alumni association began in the mid-1970s as RECKOBA (Regional Engineering College Kurukshetra Old Boys Association). B.K. Kaul and A. K. Kachroo were its first president and secretary, respectively. Now it is known as NITK Alumni Association and is a registered body.
- Notable alumni
- Karthik K S, founder and CEO 24x7 Learning
- Javed Aslam, Chairman, Haryana Forest Development Corporation (Govt. of Haryana Undertaking)
- R. K. Gupta, Chairman and Managing Director, WAPCOS (Govt. of India Undertaking)
- Rajeev Kapoor, CEO, Fiat India Automobile Private
- P. K. Munjal, MD, Hero Honda
- Adesh Gupta, Chairman, Liberty Shoes
- Srini Raju, Chairman, Peepul Capital, iLabs VCF, former CEO of Cognizant Technology Solutions and Satyam Enterprise Solutions
- Rakesh Bakshi, Padma Shri awardee
- R. Aravindhan, Visiting Scientist, IISC
- Sanjay Dhawan, President and CEO, Symphony Service
- Biraj Adhikari, Deputy CM of Sikkim
- Ramasubramanian T.K., Professor Emeritus, TIME; writer.
- K. K. Agarwala, Vice-Chancellor, Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University
- Rohit Sharma, founder and CTO ONI systems (acquired by Ciena Corp.)
- V. K. Suri, Chief Director, National Co-operative Development Corporation (Govt. of India)
- Deepinder Singh Kapany, Vice President & Business Head, Reliance Retail Ltd
- Rajat Shakti,Vice President,Sahajanand Group of Companies.
- Shailesh Rao, Director, New Products & Solutions, Google Enterprise, Google
- Arvind Kumar, CEO, Aravali Power Company Pvt. Ltd.
- Amar Nath, IAS, Administrator of Lakshadweep
- Anil Kaul,Co-founder Absolute Data
- S Gopinath, Executive Director, BHEL 
Institute magazine 
- The Helios is the institute magazine, published by students and teachers. The magazine is published annually. The magazine has student contributions in the form of poetry, prose and artwork.photographs of the passing out batch. It was once called the Vulcan but due to trademark issues with its old name, The Vulcan had been renamed to "The Helios" in 2006. "The Vulcan" was in publication from 1967 through to 2002.
- Techspardha: Techspardha(Formerly Literati), the annual technical symposium, is an embodiment of this philosophy. Through the various events and competitions, it intends to inculcate the very spirit of rational thinking, methodical approach and application of ideas. Conceived in 1994, as Literati, it is an amalgamation of the essence of the various engineering disciplines represented by their respective technical societies, namely Computer Engg (Technobyte), Electrical Engg (Electroreck), Electronics & Communication Engg( MICROBUS), Civil Engg (Infrastructure), Mechanical Engg (Mechsoc)and MBA Deptt.(Mexperts). It includes events from paper presentations to seminars and robotics. The fest attracts students from all over the country and gives an opportunity to showcase their innovations.
- Confluence: The national level annual cultural gala event. The main attraction of the fest has been events like 3D Film Festival, DJ night, laser light show, group dance, star night and battle of bands. The participation crosses 20000 people each year. This cultural extravaganza comprises more than 100 events and is attended by over 50 colleges over four fun-filled days.
- "B. Tech. Degree". nitkkr.ac.in. Retrieved 19 October 2011.
- "M. Tech Degree". nitkkr.ac.in. Retrieved 19 October 2011.
- "Ph. D Programmes". nitkkr.ac.in. Retrieved 19 October 2011.
- "MBA Programme". nitkkr.ac.in. Retrieved 19 October 2011.
- BHEL, S Gopinath Executive Director, BHEL
- "Technical Fest".
- "Cultural Fest".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: National Institute of Technology, Kurukshetra|