National Institute of Technology Rourkela
|National Institute of Technology Rourkela
|Director||Sunil Kumar Sarangi|
|Location||Rourkela, Odisha, India
National Institute of Technology Rourkela (Hindi: राष्ट्रीय प्रौद्योगिकी संस्थान, राउरकेला),formerly Regional Engineering College Rourkela (REC Rourkela), is a publicly funded institute of higher learning for engineering and technology located in the steel city of Rourkela, Odisha, India. It is one of the 30 National Institutes of Technology in India and has been recognized as an Institute of National Importance by the National Institutes of Technology Act, 2007.
- 1 History
- 2 Administration
- 3 Location
- 4 Infrastructure
- 5 Academics and departments
- 6 Campus life
- 7 Student activity groups/clubs
- 8 SPIC MACAY NITR Chapter
- 9 Student halls of residence
- 10 Notable alumni
- 11 See also
- 12 References
- 13 External links
NIT Rourkela was established as Regional Engineering College (REC) Rourkela on 15 August 1961 under the then Chief Minister of Odisha, Biju Patnaik and its foundation stone was laid by the then Prime Minister of India, Jawaharlal Nehru. It was granted autonomy and functional independence by the Ministry of Human Resource Development in 2002 thus becoming one of the National Institutes of Technology.
NIT Rourkela is a deemed university, and is governed by its Board of Governors, which is responsible for the overall superintendence, direction and control of its affairs. The Director is responsible for managing the day-to-day affairs of the institute. He heads the Senate, which frames the curriculum and conducts the examinations. The Senate also appoints advisory or expert committees to make recommendations to the Board of Governors on academic matters related to various departments. The Director is supported in various activities by the Deans i.e. the Dean for Academics, the Dean for Student Welfare, the Dean for Planning and Development and the Dean for SRICCE (Sponsored Research, Industrial Consultancy and Continuing Education). The Registrar is in charge of all office matters, and has four Assistant Registrars to aid him.
The Rourkela Steel City is a medium-sized metropolis, located in the Howrah-Mumbai and Ranchi-Bhubaneswar main railway routes, and also well connected to all parts of the country by road and rail. The population of the city is about 7 lakhs. The institute is at a distance of about 7 km from the railway station. The campus of the institute consisting of the institute buildings, halls of residence and staff colony is situated at the eastern end of Rourkela, beyond Sector-1 over an area of 462 hectares of land provided by the Government of Odisha.The institute is bordered by small mountains on the south which are sometimes used as a picnic spot by group of students.
The campus of the institute is situated at the eastern end of Rourkela steel city, beyond Sector-1 over 1024 acres of land provided by the Government of Odisha which makes it the largest engineering campus in the country after IIT Kharagpur. The courses are mostly residential on a full-time basis.
The institute area is at the centre of the campus and surrounded by the residential areas. The main building of the Institute is central to the institute area and is surrounded by the departmental buildings. It houses all the classrooms, the Central library, and the Administrative and Academic sections. It also houses departments like Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and Humanities. All the departments, the lecture gallery, the workshops, the institute canteen and the audio-visual hall surround the main building.
The lecture area and the department of biotechnology and medical engineering are situated behind the department of chemical engineering .The buildings of Department of Chemical Engineering,Mining Engineering and Ceramic Engineering are getting an extension part,while the construction of another new Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering,behind the Computer Science Department, is in full flow.
Residential accommodation is provided to all faculty, staff and students. There are nine halls of residence for the students within the campus: Six for male graduates and postgraduates, two for female students and one for married students pursuing doctorate degrees and beyond or full-time research.
The residential campus is equipped with a stadium which has been host to several national level university tournaments and is named after Dilip Tirkey, the former Indian Hockey captain who hails from this part of Odisha. There are multiple courts near the hostels for playing lawn tennis, basketball and volleyball. A swimming pool and a stadium dedicated entirely for cricket have been constructed. The cost of the aquatic centre has been estimated to be 6.5 crores. The cricket ground is well equipped with floodlights and a players' dressing room. The campus has all the amenities for developing personal, social and academic skills of the student community. The institute has been alma-mater to some prominent hockey, cricket, basketball, table tennis, football and athletics talents who have taken part in various state and national level games. Indoor gaming facility like table tennis, cricket, badminton, carom are all served in the respective hostels. Each hostel also has two badminton courts.
The institute has two common gymnasiums, one in the Dilip Tirkey Stadium and the other beside the swimming pool area, in addition to the separate gyms in some of the hostels.
Students' Activity Centre
The Student Activity Centre (SAC) within the central academic area is the hub of all extra academic pursuits and is the main organizing office for all student symposiums, annual events and is served by the approximately 800 seater Bhubaneshwar Behera Audio Visual Auditorium and an approximately 1000 seater open air theater. Annually, SAC elections are held at the end of even semester through online voting.
The institute is served by an on campus dispensary (Health Centre) and the fully equipped Community Welfare Service (CWS) Hospital for medical treatments. All residential and non-residential students are insured for all medical expenses by the institute.
The student co-operative store facilitates purchase of books and stationery at reduced prices. The on campus postal service is the state owned India Post. The official on campus banker to students and the institute is the state run State Bank of India (REC Campus).
The Biju Pattanaik Central Library, functional from 1965, has been named after Biju Pattanaik- the former chief minister of Odisha. At present, the library,abbreviated as BPCL holds about 65,000 books and 18,000 back volumes of periodicals.The library has purchased license to access over 2000 online research journals on science and technology to foster local research activity.The BPCL is automated with integrated library software package called Libsys – LSmart and modernized with latest Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) based automation system that facilitates self check-in, self check-out and automatic security system. This technology offers the fastest, the easiest, and the most efficient way to track, locate and manage library materials. The RFID system counts more than 1.2 lakhs of transactions (issue, return and renewal) in a year.
Academics and departments
The institute has following Seventeen departments which offers B. Tech,B. Tech-M. Tech Dual, M. Tech, M.Sc,Integrated M.Sc, MBA and PhD degree:
- Department of Architecture and Planning
- Department of Bio-Technology and Medical Engineering
- Department of Ceramic Engineering
- Department of Chemical Engineering
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Civil Engineering
- Department of Computer Science and Engineering
- Department of Industrial Design
- Department of Electrical Engineering
- Department of Electronics and communication Engineering
- Department of Electronics and instrumentation Engineering
- Department of Food Process Engineering
- Department of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Department of Life Science
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Department of Metallurgical & Materials Engineering
- Department of Mining Engineering
- Department of Physics and Astronomy
- Department of School of Management
Dual degree courses on various disciplines have been introduced recently. The institute also provides opportunity for part-time graduate studies in selected fields in addition to doctoral research in various subjects.
In addition to these, the institute has 3 academic centres and 6 service centres.
NIT Rourkela has a very vibrant campus life with as many as 40 clubs or student organizations. These clubs span and promote a variety of interests such as technical, cultural, literary, debating, quizzing, sports, social service, etc. among the students, enabling them to explore and enhance their hitherto hidden talent.
NIT Rourkela hosts four major annual events, INNOVISION : The Technical festival which showcases the technical talents of the students and the practical applications of their learning,SPORTS FIESTA: In which students from various colleges participate in various Sports and Games, NITRUTSAV: The Cultural festival where students from all parts the country participate and ISM(International Students Meet) in which students from abroad especially the neighbouring countries participate in a slew of events organized by the institute.
Along with this, there are many festivals that are organized by clubs such as
- VAHAAN: A national level technical symposium which is held annually by SAE, NIT-Rourkela chapter.
- EAST INDIA AUTOMOTIVE SYMPOSIUM : Amalgamation of 25 East India colleges with their passion for Automotive Industry.
- VRITTANTA: Organized by E-CELL, NIT Rourkela, Vrittanta is the entrepreneurship meet in which many students from various national level institutes participate.
Student activity groups/clubs
- ASME - American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- CEST - Civil Engineering Students' Technical Club- The only Civil Engineering Technical Club.
- Astro NITR - Astronomy and Astrophysics club of NIT Rourkela
- Energy NITR - Energy and Environment club of NIT Rourkela
- CEC – Catalog and E-Commerce Club
- CYBORG – Club for robotics and automation
- E CELL -Entrepreneurship cell of NIT Rourkela
- IEEE STUDENT CHAPTER – Club for IEEE (USA) technical activities
- LAMP - Web, Application development club
- MATHEMATICS CLUB – Mathematics Club for cultivating a healthy interest in mathematics
- MICROSOFT CLUB - Student chapter of Microsoft International at NIT Rourkela
- SAE-NITR – Society of Automotive Engineers, NITR chapter
- SELS - Society of Engineers for Living Systems
- SPAWN - Networking based club to share knowledge as a technical forum
- TECHNOPHILES - An organisation to spread knowledge and make others aware of latest technological developments that are taking place in the world
- UDAAN – The Aero-Modelling Club of NIT Rourkela
- VORTEX - Technical club to develop CFD related activities among students
Literary, music and cultural clubs
- AASRA – A society for society.An Exclusive group for Social Service Work
- BUREAUCATS - The club dedicated to spread awareness for higher studies & promote innovation in NITR
- CHEF'S CLUB NITR – The First Cooking Club in a Technical University 
- COGNIZEN - A club which conducts periodic discussions on political, socio-economic and general issues.
- CHITRAANG – The club for maintaining the graffiti wall of institute at the Student's Activity Centre(SAC)
- CLARION - The literary and debating club of NIT Rourkela
- D361 – The Institute Magazine managed by the student body
- EPISTEME - A Quiz club
- EUPHONY -The oldest musical band of NIT Rourkela.
- HEARTBEATS – The fusion band of NIT Rourkela
- HOLOCAUST – The Heavy Metal band of NIT Rourkela
- HEALTH CLUB - Conducts Yoga classes every weekend at SAC(Student Activity Centre) under an expert guidance.It also periodically organises various health awareness campaign through skits,group discussion,classes etc.
- INQUIZITIVE – Club dedicated for increasing the general interest of students towards quiz
- LEO – Smaller counterpart of Lion's Club
- MONDAY MORNING - The Official e-Newsletter of NIT Rourkela
- PANTOMIME – The official and premier Drama club of NIT Rourkela
- ROTARACT – Youth wing of Rotary International
- SYNERGY - The official Dance Club of NIT Rourkela
- THIRD EYE - The photography club of NIT Rourkela
- VOICE - aids classes in different subject(syllabus related) develop views about society,spirituality and science.
- YI NET – Young Indians Net promoted by Confederations of Indian Industry (CII)
SPIC MACAY NITR Chapter
The SPIC MACAY NITR Chapter was inaugurated on 12 January'2013 by the founder of SPIC MACAY, Dr. Kiran Seth, in the Bhubaneshwar Behera Auditorium.Since then, some events have been organised under this chapter viz. jugalbandi between Pandit Vijay Ghate and Pandit Bhawani Shankar accompanied by Sangeet Mishra on sarangi; performance by Pandit Hari Prasad Chaurasia during the International Students' Meet.The SPIC MACAY NITR Chapter has received an amazing response both by the students as well as the faculty family. During Spic Macay State Convention 2014, Pandit Vishwa Mohan Bhatt, Padmashree Geeta Chandran, and G.S Chani performed in the BBA Auditorium.
Student halls of residence
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (February 2012)|
There are in total ten halls of residence for students. Of these, two are for girls, one for married scholars and the rest 7 for boys.
The halls are named after prominent figures in recent Indian history. They are :
- Shanti Swaroop Bhatnagar Hall of Residence(Hall 1)
- Visvesvaraya Hall of Residence(Hall 2)
- G. D. Birla Hall of Residence(Hall 3)
- Dhirubhai Ambani Hall of Residence(Hall 4)
- M. S. Swaminathan Hall of Residence(Hall 5)
- C. V. Raman Hall of Residence(Hall 6)
- Homi Bhabha Hall of Residence(Hall 7)
- Vikram Sarabhai Hall of Residence(Hall 8)
- Satish Dhawan Hall of Residence(Hall 9)
- Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw Hall of Residence
|Engineering – India|
ABP News (formerly known as Star News) honoured the institute with the following awards in the year 2013:
- Outstanding Engineering Institute (East)
- Best Government Engineering College
ET NOW National Education Leadership award has honored the institute with the OUTSTANDING ENGINEERING INSTITUTE (EAST INDIA). NIT Rourkela was ranked #19 in Outlook India's Top Engineering Colleges of 2012 and #8 in the Dataquest Top Engineering Colleges in India of 2011. In rankings limited to government colleges, it was ranked 26 in the Mint Top 50 Government Engineering Colleges of 2009.
- Prafulla Kumar Das (Electrical), Engineer-in-Chief, Odisha.
- Ranjan Dash (Ceramic), Founder and Chief Technology Officer of Y-Carbon, USA.
- Sandip Das (Mechanical), Executive Director and CEO, Maxis Communications. Malaysia.
- Akash Khurana, BTech-chemical engineering, Noted theatre and film personality, COO, NIMBUS
- CP Gurnani, BTech-chemical engineering, Managing Director and CEO, Tech Mahindra.
- National Institute of Technology, Patna
- National Institute of Technology, Bhopal
- Monday Morning (newsletter) —The Official e-Newsletter of NIT Rourkela.
- Nitrutsav -The Cultural Festival of NIT Rourkela.
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- Departments/Centres. Nitrkl.ac.in. Retrieved on 2013-10-09.
- "Best Engineering colleges 2014". India Today. 2014. Retrieved 6 August 2014.
- "Top Engineering Colleges". Outlook India. 16 June 2012. Retrieved 17 June 2012.
- "India's Top Engineering Colleges 2012 (DQ-CMR T-Schools Survey 2012)". archive.dqindia.com/. Dataquest. 15 December 2012. Retrieved 10 January 2012.
- "Top 50 Government Engineering Colleges of 2009" (PDF). Mint. 23 June 2009. Retrieved 9 September 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to National Institute of Technology Rourkela.|