National Institute of Technology, Karnataka
|National Institute of Technology Karnataka|
|ರಾಷ್ಟೀಯ ತಾಂತ್ರಿಕ ಮಹಾವಿದ್ಯಾಲಯ ಕರ್ನಾಟಕ
राष्ट्रीय प्रौद्योगिकी संस्थान कर्नाटक
Main building of National Institute of Technology Karnataka
|Motto||Kannada: ಕಾಯಕವೇ ಕೈಲಾಸ
Sanskrit: तत्पूजा कर्मचाखिलम
Motto in English
|Work is worship|
|Chairman||S. C. Tripathi|
|Location||Surathkal,Mangalore, Karnataka, India|
|Campus||Suburban, 295 acres (1.19 km2)|
The National Institute of Technology Karnataka (NITK) formerly known as Karnataka Regional Engineering College (KREC), is a public engineering college at Surathkal, about 20 kilometres north of Mangalore city. It was founded in 1960 as KREC while today, it is one of the 30 National Institutes of Technology in India and is recognised as an Institute of National Importance. It has a suburban campus, in close proximity to the Arabian Sea. National Highway 66 runs through the campus and serves as the major mode of access.
- 1 History
- 2 Campus
- 3 Academics
- 4 Student activities
- 5 Former principals/ Directors
- 6 Notable Alumni
- 7 See also
- 8 References
- 9 External links
The foundation stone for Karnataka Regional Engineering College (KREC) was laid on 6 August 1960, at Surathkal. It was made possible through the efforts of U. Srinivas Mallya and V. S. Kudva and the area is now called Srinivasnagar in his honour. KREC began with three under-graduate courses in engineering: Mechanical, Electrical, and Civil, with affiliation to the University of Mysore. 1965 saw the beginning of under-graduate courses in Chemical and Metallurgical Engineering. In 1966, the college started its first post-graduate course in Marine Structures and Industrial Structures, followed by post-graduate courses in Industrial Electronics (1969), Heat Power (1971), Hydraulics and Water Resources (1971), Chemical Plant Design Engineering (1971) and Process Metallurgy (1972).
More under-graduate engineering courses were added later: Electronics and Communication Engineering (1971), Mining Engineering (1984), Computer Engineering (1986) and information technology (2000). In 1980, KREC came under the affiliation of Mangalore University, and the five-year under-graduate courses were shortened to four-years. On 26 June 2002, it was elevated to the status of a National Institute of Technology and has been called NIT Karnataka (NITK) ever since. It is now a Deemed University. NITK celebrated its 50th Institute Foundation day on 6 August 2009. The year-long Golden Jubilee celebrations were inaugurated on 10 August 2009.
The 295 acres (1.19 km2) campus is located on National Highway 66 (formerly National Highway 17), by the shores of Arabian Sea, and has a private beach, including a lighthouse. Almost all the students reside on-campus, as do most of the staff. Staff quarters consist of the Director's bungalow, quarters for professors, lecturers and wardens. There is also a separate non-teaching staff colony. There are more than 200 residences on campus in addition to independent houses and flats.
The campus includes two Cooperative Societies and a marketing center, State Bank of India and Canara Bank with ATM facility, staff club, post office, schools (Kannada and English medium), hospital, guest house, Food Court, and playgrounds. These facilities are made available to both the staff and the students at NITK.
NITK Surathkal offers undergraduate and graduate programs in Engineering, Science and Management. The institute has 14 departments and 11 support centres with about 200 faculty members, 300 support staff, 5,500 students and 15,500 alumni worldwide.
Research and industrial consulting
Research in the institute is mainly sponsored by central and state government agencies with grants for the academic year reaching 10 crore (US$1.6 million). Additionally newly recruited faculty are provided a seed grant of 5 lakh (US$7,900) for research. Faculty go on sabbaticals at foreign universities to encourage research and teaching interactions. Consulting activities are also conducted through the industry-institute partnership cell.
The B. Tech admissions were based on the AIEEE(All India Engineering Entrance Exam). The exam consists of three sections on Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry. From the 2013 academic year onwards, admission is through the JEE (Mains) test, and ranks are based on 60% of the marks scored in the test, and 40% in the class 12/Second PU Board exams.
Undergraduate admissions were based on a state wise reciprocal system. 50% of the seats were reserved for students from the home state of Karnataka. Till 2007, the rest of the 50% was distributed over other NITs, with each state having a fixed quota of seats. However, since the batch starting in 2008, the remaining 50% has been made open to all other states.
10% of the seats in the undergraduate class are reserved for foreign students under the Direct Admission of Student Abroad (DASA) scheme. Admissions are based on the aggregate score obtained out of 2400 in the SAT Subject Test in Mathematics Level 2, Physics and Chemistry.
Post Graduate programs
Post Graduate students are admitted to the program through the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) conducted by the Indian Institutes of Technology and the Indian Institute of Science. Post Graduate students are required to complete coursework in addition to a thesis or dissertation that entails independent research under the guidance of a faculty. Post Graduate and Doctoral students are also involved as teaching assistants for undergraduate courses. An MBA course has been recently introduced by the Humanities department. NITK also offers MCA(Master of Computer Application) course for graduate students in which admission is done on the based on NIMCET (NIT MCA Common Entrance Test).
|Engineering – India|
NITK is consistently rated amongst the best NITs, and has good industry relations due to its location in Karnataka (whose capital is Bangalore - the Silicon Valley of India). NITK was ranked No. 8 on the India Today Best Engineering Colleges 2012, No. 13 on the Outlook India Top Engineering Colleges of 2012 and No. 9 on the Dataquest Top Engineering Colleges in India of 2010.
Being primarily a residential institution along with Surathkal beach less than a kilometre away, a unique culture has developed over the 50 years of NITK's existence. Since 2004 when it became a centrally funded institution, NITK has opened doors to students from all over the country. Students involve in technical activities, as well as cultural events supported by one of the many student run clubs and organisations on campus. An open-air theatre called Student Activity Center is the venue for most of the music performances and movie screenings. Beach events are unique to NITK with sand sculptures and kite flying being recent highlights.
Engineer (a national level technical symposium) takes place typically around the last week of October and Incident (a cultural festival) is organised since 1980 during the last week of February. Over the years, the scale of these events have gradually expanded with students visiting from all over the country. Online technical events at Engineer see participation from all over the world. The biggest intra-college event is called Crrescendo, where the two r's stand for 'Reading Room', after the group that organises it. Students teams representing the year of their study compete in literary, personality, art and music competitions. Crrescendo has been an annual tradition for three decades now.
'Engineer' is the annual technical symposium at NITK Surathkal. 'ENGI' as it is called by the students has the Penrose Triangle as its logo, and this theme has been used along with the tag-line, 'Think. Create. Engineer.' ‘Engineer’ in its first edition in 2005 was born out of the amalgamation of three smaller scale technical symposia held until then. Engineer 2006 was planned on a larger scale, with innovative events including paper presentations, Shrishti, where participants are required to apply engineering for the greater good of society, robotics events (Perfect Machine, Automata), hacking contests, programming contests, electronics design events, and workshops. Socially conscious engineering has been a recurring theme. Guest speakers at Video conferences include Richard Stallman, Bjarne Stroustrup, Sam Pitroda, Dr. Devi Shetty, Sir Anthony James Leggett, Kevin Warwick, and Tim Poston. Engineer 2010 was dubbed the 'Golden Edition' due to it coinciding with the Golden Jubilee year celebrations. NITK hosted its first TEDx conference during Engineer 2011, and many influential speakers of the region were invited to talk on socially relevant issues.
Incident is the institutes annual cultural festival. Incident was first conducted in 1980. Held over five days, the festival includes events from dance and dramatics to music, painting, fashion and quizzing. In addition, Incident Pro-Nite features top Indian singers and bands.International bands have also been part of the experience since 2010, with tribute bands like Led Zepplica, Breathe the Floyd Sound and Jailbreak performing crowd favourites to an enthralled audience.
Major national and international technical societies have set up local student chapters at NITK. They include Indian Society for Technical Education (ISTE), the Institution of Engineers, the Computer Society of India,the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) and Robotics Club NITK.
- The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) has an active chapter constituted by Mechanical Engineering students. NITK has two racing teams which participate in SAE BAJA and international FSAE races. 
- NITK has a Linux Users Group, which along with the WEB Enthusiasts Club promotes FOSS and Linux.
- The Engineers' Forum for Entrepreneurship Awareness (E-FOREA) encourages entrepreneurial ideas from students and promotes leadership and entrepreneurship on campus.
- The amateur astronomy Star Gazing Club conducts star-watching shows for the students and faculty.
- The Robotics Club of NITK is an group of hobby robot enthusiasts. Members involve in presenting seminars on various levels of robotics to participating in renowned tech-fests like TECHFEST, IITB, SHAASTRA, IITM, etc.
- The Rotaract Club conducts social, cultural and technical events for the students and club members alike. These include blood donation camps, cloth donation drives, coastal clean-up camps, and events conducted by the National Service Scheme (NSS) chapter of NITK.
- The Mangalore chapter of the Society for Promotion of Indian Classical Music and Culture Among Youth (SPICMACAY) is centered at NITK and is one of the biggest chapters in the country. It organizes concerts and lectures by maestros of Indian classical art forms and strives to raise awareness of Indian culture in the surrounding regions through lectures, orientations and conventions.
- Literary, Stage and Debating Society (LSD) is the apex literary forum of the institute. The club mainly conducts quizzes while also holding debates and organising plays. LSD was formed in 2004 from the quiz club to cater to literary events other than quizzes.
- Dance Dramatics and Fashion Club (DDFC) organises 'Spandan' annually, which provides students a platform to showcase their talent at dance and theatre. The NITK Music Club organises music shows generally called Musical Night and play popular music at the outdoor auditoriums. A variety of styles are on display at these events, from Indian classical music to fusion to rock.
- The NITK Films Club screens movies at the Student's Activity Centre every Friday during the semester. Apart from English and Hindi releases, regional films are shown as well. The Press Club brings out a fortnightly wall magazine News Wagon, providing a tongue-in-cheek look at life around the campus, besides bringing out the official yearbook, The Vitruvian.
- VOICE (Vedic Oasis for Inspiration, Culture and Education) is a youth group run by the students, for the students. Using the principles present in the ancient Vedic scriptures, they train students in a blend of character and competence.
- The NITK Photography Club captures photos and videos of events happening at NITK. It conducts "Expose", which is a national level photography contest organised yearly during Incident. The club contributes to the official yearbook, The Vitruvian.
Sports facilities include the cricket ground, tennis lawns, shuttle badminton and table tennis complex, the basketball and volleyball courts along with a swimming pool.
The Recreation Committee (RC) of the institute organises recreational activities including freshers cup, flood lit cricket matches which garner a vibrant fan following. The much awaited inter-year sports festival 'Phoenix' is organised during the even semester where students battle for gold, silver and bronze medals, and the over-all shield. NITK sports teams participate in events all over the country as part of the Inter-NIT sports meet.
During the cultural festival 'Incident', NITK hosts 'Slam Dunk', an intercollegiate basketball tournament, which attracts some of the best teams in the region and plays host to many enthralling matches.
Former principals/ Directors
- Dr. P N Singh
- A. S. Adke
- Dr. Sandeep Sancheti, Director (2007-2012)
- Dr. Swapan Bhattacharya, Director (2012–present)
- K. V. Kamath, 1969, Non-executive chairman of ICICI Bank, former Chairman of Infosys
- P. M. Pai, 1972, Venture Partner, New Enterprise Associates (NEA)
- Ashok Kheny, 1972, Director of Nandi Infrastructure Corridor Enterprises, and MLA from Bidar(South)
- B. Narayan, Group President of Reliance Industries
- Sudhir Hoshing, Chief Executive Officer (Roads Division) at Reliance Infrastructure.
- Sanmitra Trivedi, Senior Vice President at Reliance Industries
- Sridhar Rangayan, filmmaker with a focus on LGBT subjects
- K. Ullas Karanth, Director of the Wildlife Conservation Society India Program
- M. D. Mallya, 1974, Former Chairman of Bank of Baroda
- G. Shankarram, 1977, Joint Managing Director of Peps India
- Gopala Bhupal, 1977, Chairman at Karthik Group 
- Yajnanarayana Kammaje, 1972, Chairman at Sona Group 
- Dr. R. R. Sonde, Executive Vice President of Research, Technology & Innovation, at THERMAX LTD
- P. P. Upadhya, Managing Director of MRPL, Mangalore
- Sudhir Chandrasekhar Menon, Senior Director, Hilton Worldwide
- V. S. Sriram, Senior Corporate Vice President at HCL Technologies
- Rahm Shastry, 1980, Chairman & CEO at Polaris Design Systems
- Antony Mascarenhas, 1978, Consultant in Oil & Gas
- R.V.Gumaste, 1981, Managing Director at Kirloskar Ferrous Industries Ltd.
- D T Barki, 1982, Chairman and Managing Director, at Nobel Energy Solar Technologies Ltd 
- George Paul, 1982, Executive Vice President of Hcl Infosystems
- Ashok Pawar, 1983, Founder and CEO, Cyber Technology Group, USA
- Krishnamurthy BK, 1983, Joint Managing Director at Vishal Infrastructure
- Kumar Shiralagi, 1984, Managing Director, India, at Indo-US Venture Partners 
- Vijay Angadi, 1984, Managing Director at NovaStar Funds 
- Sandeep Dasgupta, 1984, CEO at BOI AXA Investment Managers, a joint venture between Bank of India and AXA 
- Dr. Arvind Gambheer, 1984, Director (Academic), Pearson Education Services, (previously worked as a research scientist at NASA) 
- Prakash Tilwani, Vice President (Technology) at IRI (formerly SymphonyIRI Group)
- Rajeev Madhavan, 1987, Co-founder and CEO of Magma Design Automation
- Alok Ohrie, 1988, President and MD at DELL India 
- Anand Sankaran, 1988, President and Global Head of Infrastructure Services and Cloud Computing at Dell 
- Subu Goparaju, 1988, Senior VP at Infosys Labs 
- Sanjay Sharma, 1988, Chairman at Association of Investment Bankers of India (AIBI) and Managing Director, Deutsche Equities India Pvt.Ltd.
- Aravind Melligeri, 1990, Chairman and Co-Founder at Quest Global
- Deepak Shenoy, 1996, Founder and CEO at Capital Mind
- Ravinder Gujral, 1999, Co-founder, Mindshell Software Technologies Pvt Ltd
- Chetan Kulkarni, 2000, Co-Founder and CEO at Vizury
- Advit Sahdev, 2001, Founder at ODigMa
- Aprameya Radhakrishna & Raghunandan G (2003), Founder and Director at Taxi For Sure
- Amarendra Sahu & Jitendra Jagadev, 2004, Co-Founders at BrizzTV
- Arjun Abraham Zacharia, 2004, Co-Founder and CEO at Wooplr.com 
- Krishna Kumar, 2005, Founder and CEO of Simplilearn 
- Smruthi Parida, 2005, Co-founder at Zero Heights Technologies Pvt ltd
- Sahil Barua,2006, Co-Founder at Delhivery
- Parkal Suhas Kamath, 2007, COO at UnWrapIndia
- Vineet Deviah, 2007, Founder and CEO at TeliportMe
- Nitin Rao, 2008, Co-Founder of Sunglass
- Jagadish Kamath K, 2008, Co-Founder, RiverSilica Technologies
- Sujit Lalwani, 2008, Founder of Inspiration Unlimited and 36Meals.
- Sameer Segal, 2009, CEO and Founder at Artoo
- Shashank. N .D, 2009, Co-founder & CEO, Practo
- Sharath Ramesh, 2011, Founder and CEO,"Whitespace35".
- Siddharth C and Neelesh Soni, 2012, Co-Founders at Rhapsody Labs 
- Ganeshreddy Indireddy, MCA, 2009, Founder, www.bibliofreaks.com - The Online Store for USED BOOKS.
Academia and Research
- Sunil Kumar, 1990, Dean, University of Chicago Booth School of Business
- Dr Srivatsa Sheshadri, MBA director, University of Nebraska at Kearney
- Thomas Zacharia, 1980, Deputy Director of ORNL Computer Science and Mathematics Division
- Pramod Vishwanath, 1993, Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering at University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign
- Sandeep Pradhan, 1994, Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, University of Michigan
- Prabhudev Konana, Chairman, Department of Information,Risk & Operations Management, McCombs School of Business
- National Institute of Technology, Jamshedpur
- National Institute of Technology, Warangal
- National Institute of Technology, Srinagar
- National Institute of Technology, Delhi
- "NITK Director". Retrieved 2013-01-30.
- "Down Memory Lane at NITK". Retrieved 2013-01-30.
- "Golden Jubilee Celebrations". Retrieved 2013-01-30.
- "NITK Campus details". Retrieved 2013-01-30.
- "Departments at NITK". Retrieved 2013-01-30.
- "NITK Information Brochure".
- "NITK Alumni site". Retrieved 2013-01-30.
- "NITK UG Admissions 2011". Retrieved 2013-01-30.
- "JEE Mains 2013". Retrieved 2013-01-30.
- "DASA Admissions". Retrieved 2013-01-30.
- "NITK PG Admissions 2011". Retrieved 2013-01-30.
- "NITK MBA Admissions". Retrieved 2013-01-30.
- "Best Engineering colleges 2014". India Today. 2014. Retrieved 6 August 2014.
- "Top Engineering Colleges". Outlook India. 16 June 2012. Retrieved 17 June 2012.
- "India's Top Engineering Colleges 2012 (DQ-CMR T-Schools Survey 2012)". archive.dqindia.com/. Dataquest. 15 December 2012. Retrieved 10 January 2012.
- "Top 50 Government Engineering Colleges of 2009" (PDF). Mint. 23 June 2009. Retrieved 9 September 2011.
- "TEDx at NITK".
- "Top honours for NITK at Incident 2006 India Quiz". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 4 March 2006. Archived from the original on 7 October 2011.
- "SAE BAJA". SAE BAJA.
- "E-FOREA at NITK".
- "Star Gazing Club at NITK". Retrieved 2013-01-30.
- "Rotaract Club at NITK".
- P M PAI. "NEA team".
- Shankarram, G. "Peps India People".
- "Karthik Group Management".
- Dr R R Sonde. "Thermax India Management Council".
- P P Upadhya. "Board of Directors, MRPL Mangalore".
- Shastry, Rahm. "Polaris Design Systems Management".
- "NEST overview".
- "Cyber Technology Group, USA".[not in citation given]
- "Corporate Profile". Vishal Infrastructure. Archived from the original on 2012-06-09.
- "IndoUS venture partners | People".
- "NovaStar Funds | Board of directors".
- "BOI AXA senior management".
- Gambheer, Arvind. "Fine-tuning study strategy".
- "Alok Ohrie: Executive Profile & Biography". Bloomberg Businessweek. 2013-04-13. Retrieved 2013-10-09.
- "Dell hires Wipro veteran Sankaran". Business Standard. Retrieved 1 November 2013.
- Goparaju, Subu. "Infosys adds 12 executives to its management team".
- "Subu Goparaju @INFOSYS".
- "BOARD OF DIRECTORS , AIBI".
- "Deutsche names head of India equity capital mkts".
- Melligeri, Aravind. "Board of Directors, Quest Global".
- "Meet The Team". Vizury. Retrieved 2014-01-29.
- "Advit Sahdev, Founder, ODigMa – Online Digital Marketing Agency". YourStory. 5 August 2010.
- "TaxiForSure.com Team".
- Team TC (2012-08-27). "Online training platform Simplilearn raises funding from IndoUS Venture Partners | Techcircle.in - India startup news, internet, mobile, e-commerce, software, online businesses, technology news, funding". Techcircle.vccircle.com. Retrieved 2014-01-07.
- "About Us". UnWrapIndia.
- "Teliport.me/About us". TeliportMe.
- "Management Team". RiverSilica.
- "Team". Artoo.
- "About Us". Practo.
- "Rhapsody Labs/About-us".
- Kumar, Sunil. "Dean, University of Chicago Booth School of Business".
- Zacharia, Thomas. "Thomas Zacharia BIO".
- Viswanath, Pramod. "Pramod Viswanath Bio".
- PRADHAN, SANDEEP. "SANDEEP PRADHAN Bio".
- Konana, Prabhudev. "Prabhudev Konana Bio".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to National Institute of Technology Karnataka.|