National Institute of Technology Meghalaya
|National Institute of Technology Meghalaya|
|Type||Institute of National Importance under The NIT Act of 2007, Public|
|Endowment||Ministry of Human Resource Development (India)|
|Chairman||Professor D. K. Basu|
|Director||Dr. Dilip Kumar Saikia|
|Location||Shillong, Meghalaya, India|
National Institute of Technology Meghalaya (Hindi:राष्ट्रीय प्रौद्योगिकी संस्थान मेघालय) also known as NIT Meghalaya or NITM is one of the 30 National Institutes of Technology situated in Shillong, Meghalaya, India. The classes of NIT Meghalaya were started in 2010 at the Sardar Vallabhbhai National Institute of Technology, Surat.
- 1 History
- 2 Campus
- 3 Financing
- 4 Academics
- 5 Departments
- 6 NITM Central Library
- 7 Training & Placement cell
- 8 Hostels
- 9 External links
The institute is one among the thirty NITs in India established as Institutions of National Importance with funding support from the Ministry of Human Resource Development, government of India.
The institute was been set up by the Ministry of Human Resource Development by the NIT act in 2010. The foundation stone of NIT Meghalaya at Cherrapunjee (Sohra) was laid by Union Minister for IT and Human Resource Development Kapil Sibal in October 2012.
The institute presently functions from its temporary campus at the Bijni Complex located in Laitumkhrah, Shillong, of the North Eastern Hill University. The Institute has been allotted a plot of land of about 200 acres(another 73 acres are to be added soon) at 25° 15' 22.00" N, 91° 44' 40.00" E in Sohra (Cherrapunjee) in the East Khasi Hills district of Meghalaya for its permanent campus.The Institute proposes to construct a modern state-of-the-art campus to accommodate all its requirements in such a manner that logistics are minimized while the built structures are also in harmony with the surroundings. The Union Ministry of Human Resource Development (HRD) has awarded the contract for construction of the permanent campus of the National Institute of Technology (NIT) in Meghalaya to the Central Public Works Department (CPWD).The Phase-I of constructions, targeted to be completed by April, 2015, shall tentatively include the following:
i. 25,000 sqm academic and administrative buildings
ii. Boys hostels for a capacity of 1200
iii. Girls hostel(s) for a capacity of 400
iv. 120 residences of various categories
v. 100 room guest house
vi. Health Centre
vii. 1500 capacity auditorium
viii. Indoor stadium
i. Power sub-station
ii. Reservoir for rain water harvesting
iii. Water supply network
iv. Roads and drains for Phase-I
v. Basic landscaping for Phase-I
The estimated expenditure in this phase(Phase I) is about Rs. 300 crores.
Average funding of a National Institute of Technology is Rs. 100 crores. Additionally, On average, each NIT also receives Rs. 20-25 crores under World Bank funded Technical Education Quality Improvement Program (TEQIP).
The institute admitted its first batch of B. Tech students in July, 2010 and the first two batches carried out their studies in the mentor institute, SV NIT Surat till December 2012. The academic activities of the institute in Meghalaya started in Shillong at the Bijni Complex of the North Eastern Hill University, located in the city, with the admission of the third batch in July, 2012.
The institute has B. Tech programs in the following disciplines:
- Electronics & Communication Engineering(ECE)
- Computer Science & Engineering(CSE)
- Electrical & Electronics Engineering(EEE)
- Civil Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
Admissions to the B. Tech program in the Institute are based on JEE(Main)(replacing AIEEE) conducted by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) and through the counseling conducted by the Central Counseling Board (CCB).
The institute proposes to start B. tech programmes in the following disciplines from the 2014-15 session
- Food Processing.
M.Tech, M.Sc and MBA programmes in various specializations shall be started soon. The institute plans to start M. Tech programmes in the following disciplines:
- Civil Engineering.
- Computer Science and Engineering.
- Electrical & Electronics Engineering.
- Electronics & Communication Engineering.
- Environmental Engineering.
- Mechanical Engineering.
The 5 year integrated M. Sc. program will be offered by the institute in the following disciplines:
- Earth Science
The MBA program in the institute will start from the 2015-16 session.
The Doctor of Philosophy (Ph. D.) programme will start in the institute in August 2013. The departments and areas in which these programme will be offered are:
- Computer Science & Engineering (Areas: Computer Networks, Network Security)
- Electronics & Communication Engineering (Areas: VLSI)
- Electronics & Electrical Engineering (Areas: Power Quality, Power System Stability, Automatic Generation Control, Power Electronics, Electric Drives and Controls, Renewable Energy)
- Mechanical Engineering (Areas: Turbulence Modeling, Computational Fluid Dynamics, Fluid Mechanics)
- Civil Engineering (Areas: Structural Engineering)
The Institute shall admit Ph. D students under the following categories :
- Full Time: Scholars under this category shall work full-time for the Ph.D. courses/research. They may receive fellowship/assistantship offered by the Institute or other funding agencies.
- Sponsored: Recognized R&D organizations, national institutions, other universities, government organizations or industries may sponsor research scholars. They shall be admitted through the normal process, and they shall not be entitled to any fellowship/assistantship from the Institute. They shall work full-time for the Ph.D. courses/research.
- Project Fellow: Scholars working on different research projects at the Institute may be admitted to the Ph. D. programme provided they satisfy the eligibility criteria, subject to the consent of the Principal Investigator of the project.
- Part Time: Scholars employed in academic institutions/ universities (including NIT Meghalaya)/ R&D organizations may be considered for admission into the Ph. D. programme of the Institute, following the normal admission procedures. They shall fulfill the stipulated requirements for Ph. D. admission.
Computer Science & Engineering (CSE)
The Department of Computer Science & Engineering, NIT Meghalaya offers B. Tech degree in Computer Science and Engineering discipline. This U.G Programme in Computer Science and Engineering is perhaps the most popular Programme in NIT Meghalaya, with an average intake of 30 students per year.
Electrical & Electronics Engineering (EEE)
The Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering is evolving since the inception of NIT Meghalaya in the year 2010. Presently, the department is offering 8 Semester B.Tech Programme with an intake capacity of 30 and soon going to start M.Tech and Ph.D programmes. The broad areas of expertise include Deregulated power system, Soft computing application in power system control,Voltage stability alleviation under Deregulated Environment, Power Electronics, Control System and Instrumentation, Mechatronics, Embedded System, Non-conventional Energy system etc. Software like Matlab, Power Factory 14.1 (DIgSILENT)are available with the Department in order to accelerate the research.Almost all the laboratories such as Electro-Technique Lab, Electrical Machine Lab, Network and Systems lab, Digital Electronics Lab, Power System Simulation Lab, Control & Instrumentation Lab, Power Electronics & Drives Lab, Microprocessor Lab, Microcontroller & Embedded Systems Lab are fully operational.
Electronics & Communication Engineering (ECE)
The Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering provides a mix of theory and practice,with strong emphasis on industrial applications. The department caters to all areas of electronics engineering such as Integrated electronics and circuits,Tele-communications and Computer technology. The Department is equipped with a variety of laboratories catering to the basic training and research needs of its students.
The department offers Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) programme at present and has also initiated the Ph.D. programme.
The Department of Mechanical Engineering has been a part of the institute since July 2012. Due to space constraint the department was functioning with a small workshop along with a credit course (Basic Mechanical Systems). Currently credit courses like Applied Thermodynamics and Thermal Engineering, Engineering Mechanics are also taken up by the department for the ongoing UG programme. It will however be functioning fully with B. Tech. programme in Mechanical Engineering from July 2013 along with the Department of Civil Engineering.
Humanities & Social Science
The Department of Humanities and Social Sciences has been an integral part of the Institute since its inception in the year 2010.
The Department of Physics is a part of NIT Meghalaya since the beginning. Physics is a part of basic engineering subjects.
NITM Central Library
The institute has a central library which is still in its development phase.
Training & Placement cell
The Training and Placement cell division of the institute primarily focuses on these following functions and responsibilities:
- Helps every student define his/her career interest through individual expert counselling.
- Organize and coordinate Campus Placement Program, to fulfill its commitment of a job to every aspirant.
- Makes internships and training in various Companies so as to get keen knowledge of how the things go inside company.
NIT Meghalaya provides separate hostels for boys & girls to many of its outstation candidates. The hostels are provided with all the basic facilities a student will need . All the hostels are provided with internet facility. Adequate bus facility has also been extended for commutation of students staying at Hostels.