National Institute of Technology Raipur
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2012)|
|National Institute of Technology Raipur|
|Motto||नित्यं यातो शुभोदयं|
|Location||Raipur, Chhattisgarh, India|
The National Institute of Technology Raipur (NIT Raipur) is a technical institution funded by the Government of India, located in Raipur, Chhattisgarh. Founded in 1956 as Govt. College of Mining & Metallurgy with two engineering disciplines, mining and metallurgy, the institute is one of the oldest of its kind in India citation??. Currently it is one of the National Institutes of Technology, which have been accorded Institute of National Importance status by the National Institutes of Technology Act, 2007.
The first President of India, Rajendra Prasad laid the foundation stone of the college building on 14 September 1956. Construction was completed in 1962 and the college was inaugurated on 14 March 1963 by the first Prime Minister of India, Jawaharlal Nehru. Until as late as 1956, there were only three technical institutes in the country devoted to mining and metallurgical engineering. In view of this fact and also with the aim of harnessing the ample mineral resources in the region, the institute was set up on 1 May 1956 as Government College of Mining and Metallurgy. The first session of the college commenced on 1 July 1956 with the admission of 15 students each in mining and metallurgical engineering.
In 1958-59 with the commencement of additional courses in civil, mechanical and electrical engineering, the college came to be known as Government College of Engineering and Technology. Later graduate courses in chemical engineering (1965), architecture (1984), electronics (1985), information technology, computer science and technology (2000), biotechnology and biomedical Engineering (2003) were started. It was declared a National Institute of Technology (NIT) by the national government on 1 December 2005 and then declared an Institute of National Importance with the passing of the National Institutes of Technology Act, 2007, in May 2007.
The main authorities of the institute are:
- A Board of Governors: It is responsible for the overall superintendence, direction and control of the institute's affairs.
- Senate: Headed by the Director, it is responsible for managing the day-to-day affairs of the institute, framing the curriculum and conducting the examinations.
- A Finance Committee
- The undergraduate admissions are based on the Joint Entrance Examination organized by CBSE, India.
- The postgraduate admissions are based on the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE).
- The postgraduate admissions for Master in Computer Application are done on the basis of NIMCET.
- NIT Raipur follows the reservation policy declared by the Supreme Court of India, by which 27% of positions are reserved for Other Backward Classes (OBCs), 15% for Scheduled Castes (SCs), and 7.5% for Scheduled Tribes (STs)
- The institute currently houses the following departments
The Golden Jubilee Celebrations
The institute celebrated its golden jubilee during 25–27 December 2005.
Eclectika is the annual techno-cultural fest of NIT Raipur. Eclectika'09 was well received with as many as 60 events and students from various colleges across India participating. The recently concluded Eclectika'10 & Eclectika'11 included numerous events and also musical performances.
AASHAYEIN - Theme song of ECLECTIKA'12 NIT Raipur MERI AASHAYEIN
Student committees and organizations
- Technical Committee (Technocracy)
- Cultural Committee
- Entrepreneurship Cell
- Alumni Association
- Sports Committee
- Literary Committee
- SPIC-MACAY NIT RAIPUR sub-chapter (Society for Promotion of Indian Classical Music and Culture Amongst Youth)
- Ahaana (Information Technology Association)
- Metallurgical Society (METSO)
- Bio-Medical Student Association(BIMSA)
- Biotechnology students association (BITSA)
- Association of Computer Engineers (ACE)
- Electrical Engineering Association (EEA)
- Civil Engineering Association (CEA)
- Chemical Engineering Association NIT (CHEANIT)
- Mechanical Engineering Association (MEA)
- Mining Engineering Society (MES)
- Association of Electronics & Telecommunication Students (ASSETS)
- Raaga (Musical club)
- CL!CK (Photography club)
- Go Green Movement
- Association of Students of Architecture, Raipur (ASAR)
- Association of Computer Engineers (ACE)
- Sahyog (Mentorship club)
- Open source club (Protsaha)
- GNU/Linux and FOSS users club
Student Halls of Residence
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (March 2013)|
- Baldev Raj
- Prof. Bhagwati Kashyap, Faculty at IIT Bombay
- Brigadier Vijay Kashyap
- Sudhir Vasudeva, Chairman ONGC
- National Institute of Technology Raipur. Nitrr.ac.in. Retrieved on 2013-10-09.
- "NIT Raipur Biomedical engineering official website". Nitrr.ac.in. Retrieved 2012-09-04.
- Institute of Technology, Guru Ghasidas University,Bilaspur (Chhattisgarh), India
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to National Institute of Technology, Raipur.|
- NIT Raipur Official Website
- Department of Training & Placement, NIT Raipur
- Alumni Association of GECNIT, Raipur