National Kaohsiung Normal University
|National Kaohsiung Normal University|
Seal of the National Taiwan University
|Motto in English||“Sincerity, Reverence, Greatness and Profundity.”|
|Academic staff||313 (full time)|
|Former names||Taiwan Provincial Kaohsiung Teachers’ College|
The National Kaohsiung Normal University (NKNU; Chinese: 國立高雄師範大學; pinyin: Guólì Gāoxióng Shīfàn Dàxué), founded in 1967, is a public university located in Lingya District, Kaohsiung, Taiwan. NKNU is well-knowned as one of Taiwan's excellent institutions of higher education. The university has two campuses — Ho-Ping and Yen-Chao. The University currently has five colleges: College of Education, College of Humanities, College of Science, College of Technology, and College of Arts.
- 1 History
- 2 Campus
- 3 Committee of International Student Admissions
- 4 Registration and Tuition & Fees
- 5 Academics
- 6 International sister universities
- 7 Program for Promoting Teaching Excellence of Universities
- 8 Nature Publishing Index Asia-Pacific
- 9 Center of Language and Culture Teaching
- 10 Research Center for Adult Education
- 11 Center for Environmental Laboratory Services
- 12 Notable alumni
- 13 See also
- 14 External links
National Kaohsiung Normal University (NKNU), formerly known as Taiwan Provincial Kaohsiung Teachers’ College, was founded in August 1967 by the Provincial Government of Taiwan. The University’s founding mission was to train secondary-school teachers for the implementation of the nine-year compulsory education. On July 1, 1980, the Institution was renamed National Kaohsiung Teachers’ College. On August 1, 1989 it was re-designated as National Kaohsiung Normal University. The goal of the university is to offer a rich intellectual environment and to cultivate the excellent brains that a modern country would need. In 1989, the University initiated the plan to build the second campus in Yen-Chao district and inaugurated the campus in 1999.
The University is notable for the quantity, range and quality of its recreational offerings. There are currently more than 60 intramural student organizations, each with a faculty member as a consultant. The eight-floor multi-purpose Activity Center makes space available for clubs and recreational activities. Both on Ho-Ping and Yen-Chao campuses, the University provides men’s and women’s dormitories where students can enjoy an active community life in the lounges within the buildings. Meals are provided on campus and coordinated by a food committee. Respectively on each campus, there is also a Medicare Center with physicians, dentists and psychiatrists to provide medical services to faculty and students. A recreational complex provides additional services to ensure a high quality campus life.
NKNU’s Ho-Ping Campus is uniquely situated in a region with one of the greatest concentrations’ of cultural facilities and intellectual talent in the nation. Located in urban Kaohsiung, opposite the Chiang Kai-shek Cultural Center, the campus covers an area of 13 hectares. The interweaving of academic buildings and areas for relaxation—green lawns and trees and cultural spots—on the compact campus ensures the enjoyment of the educational resources. The University is particularly proud of its self-maintained lush landscaped gardens and sports field.
In September 1999, NKNU inaugurated its second campus at Yen-Chao, which is a scenic area of 50 hectares about 30 minutes drive from downtown Kaohsiung. The campus’s well-equipped buildings and athletic facilities, as well as its proximity to several local colleges, provide students with an invaluable learning environment. A shuttle-bus service is provided between the two campuses.
Committee of International Student Admissions
- National Kaohsiung Normal University - International Cooperation Section Office of Research and Development
- FOREIGN STUDENT ADMISSION
- Committee of International Student Admissions Online Application Website
- Office hours：from 8: 30 a.m. to 12: 00 noon, 1: 30 p.m. to 4:50 p.m.
- Tel：886-7-7172930 ext 6701/6702/7620
- Address : No.62, Shenjhong Rd., Yanchao District, Kaohsiung City 824,Taiwan（ROC）
Registration and Tuition & Fees
- Each academic year in Taiwan begins on August 1 and ends on July 31 of the following year.
- First semester classes usually begin in mid-September or late September and ends in mid-Jan.
- Second semester classes begin in late February of the following calendar year and ends in mid-June.
- Admitted students shall be present at the university for registration on the date specified by presenting the original copy of passport and diploma (or authenticated copies), or the status of admission shall be revoked.
- When required by the relevant departments/institutes, admitted students shall take the Mandarin Classes at NKNU. Center of Language and Culture Teaching
- Transferring credits from other colleges/universities shall follow related regulations of this University.
- Tuition and Fees：http://www.nknu.edu.tw/~registry/
- For reference only, the following tuition and fees rates apply to the first and second semesters of the 2013 academic year. Undergraduate Program: NT$ 53,200—NT$45,700. Please note that there are two semesters in each academic year. Graduate Program: NT$ 54,000–47,400.Additional fees will be charged if credit score is above 12. Please note that there are two semesters in each academic year.
- Other Expenses：Book expenses vary according to the courses taken and the book prices. Estimated monthly expenses for meals at the university cafeteria are about NT$ 6,000, whereas eating off-campus may cost NT$ 8.000 or more per month.
- Dormitory：Students can apply for the dormitory rooms which are shared by three to five other students. The room rates range from NT$ 4,200—NT$ 10,000 per person for each semester.
- Scholarships sponsored by the Ministry of Education (MOE) are available for International students to apply. The regulations governing application, the criteria for awarding the scholarships, the amounts of the scholarships, and the number of recipients are prescribed by the MOE.
- The departments/institutes may choose not to admit the students to their full capacity. In this case, no applicant will be probationally admitted.
- Programs Degrees Offer to International Students
- Undergraduate Program： 4–6 years
- Master Program/Postgraduate Program： 2–3 years
- Doctoral Program： 2–6 years
- National Kaohsiung Normal University Bulletin of International Student Admissions 2013-2014 Academic Year
- Application from 21 March 2013 to 15 April 2013
- Delivery of Application Postmarked by 15 April 2013 (Taiwan Time)
- Committee of International Student Admissions Online Application Website
- College of Education
- Department of Education (Bachelor & Master & Doctorate)
- Department of Special Education (Master)
- Department of Physical Education (Bachelor & Master)
- Department of Business Management (Bachelor & Master)
- Graduate Institute of Adult Education (Master & Doctorate)
- Graduate Institute of Information Education (Master)
- Graduate Institute of Gender Education (Master & Doctorate)
- Graduate Institute of Communication Disorders (Master)
- Graduate Institute of Human Resources and Knowledge Management (Master)
- College of Humanities
- Department of Chinese (Master & Doctorate)
- Department of English (Bachelor & Master & Doctorate)
- Department of Geography (Bachelor & Master & Doctorate)
- Graduate Institute of Taiwan History, Culture and Languages (Master)
- Graduate Institute of Teaching Chinese as a Second Language (Master)
- Graduate Institute of Chinese Classics (Master)
- Graduate Institute of Taiwan Hakka Studies (Master)
- College of Science
- Department of Physics (Bachelor & Master & Doctorate)
- Department of Chemistry (Bachelor & Master)
- Department of Mathematics (Bachelor & Master)
- Department of Biotechnology (Master)
- Graduate Institute of Science Education ＆ Environmental Education (Master & Doctorate)
- College of Technology
- Department of Industrial Design (Bachelor & Master)
- Department of Industrial Technology Education (Master & Doctorate)
- Department of Optoelectronics and Communication Engineering (Bachelor & Master)
- College of Arts
International sister universities
Program for Promoting Teaching Excellence of Universities
Program for Promoting Teaching Excellence of Universities is a competitive project. Only excellent universities possessing individual academic features, extraordinary performance and innovative teaching style are qualified to receive the subsidy from Ministry of Education in Taiwan. National Kaohsiung Normal University indicates that it has been supported by this program nine years in row and the accumulated amount reaches NT 275 million.
Nature Publishing Index Asia-Pacific
- Institution rankings for Taiwan : NKNU, The Top 5 Research Institutions in Taiwan.
- Based on the number 1 of papers that were published as Articles, Letters and Brief Communications, or Reviews from institutions in Taiwan that were published within the last 12 months in Nature and Nature monthly research journals.
- Top Institutions in Taiwan | Nature Publishing Index Asia-Pacific
Center of Language and Culture Teaching
- The CLCT offers a variety of non-credit language courses for international students and overseas Chinese students.
- The CLCT maintains a teacher to student ratio of 1 to 8.
- In addition to language courses, the CLCT also offers a variety of cultural workshops, such as Chinese Calligraphy, Chinese food, paper cutting and traditional handicrafts.
- Center of Language and Culture Teaching
- Foreign Register, Center of Language and Culture Teaching
Research Center for Adult Education
- National Kaohsiung Normal University set up the Research Center for Adult Education on December 1, 1991 to actively promote lifelong learning for all citizens.
- This Center’s aim is to promote adult education research and practice in southern Taiwan and thus to help citizens keep up with the time.
- The center also organizes a group of adult education volunteers who enthusiastically support the center’s various activities.
- Research Center for Adult Education
Center for Environmental Laboratory Services
- Center for Environmental Laboratory Services
- Contact Info: TEL +886-7+6051036; FAX: +886-7-6051379; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Members of Environmental Legionella Isolation Techniques Evaluation (ELITE) by US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- National Kaohsiung Normal University
- National Kaohsiung Normal University Campus Photos
- Affiliated Senior High School of National Kaohsiung Normal University