National Maritime Heritage Foundation
|Washington Metropolitan Area|
|Jim Muldoon, Chairman of the Board of Directors|
The National Maritime Heritage Foundation (NMHF) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that manages community sailing and maritime education programs in Washington, D.C. In September 2009, the NMHF formally proposed a "National Naval and Maritime Museum" that would be built in Washington, D.C. The NMHF is in no way connected to the Naval Historical Foundation (NHF), the official U.S. Navy-endorsed group that raises private funds in support of the National Museum of the U.S. Navy (U.S. Navy Museum) in Washington, D.C.
On September 18, 2009, the NMHF formally proposed the establishment of a public-private partnership to raise an estimated $205 million to build a 150,000-square-foot (13,935 m²) museum in Washington, D.C., devoted to the history of the United States Navy and the maritime history of the United States. To further the proposal, the NMHF joined with U.S. Navy Memorial Foundation, the U.S. Naval Institute and the Navy League. As of March 28, 2010, Naval History & Heritage Command has yet to make a decision on the proposal.
The NMHF manages sailing programs for District of Columbia-area youth including "Kids Set Sail," "National Capital High School Sailing," and "Learn to Sail."
DC Sail is a community sailing program for adults that provides sailing lessons, boat rentals, and racing on the Washington Channel. DC Sail was designated as a separate program of the National Maritime Heritage Foundation in 2010 and is overseen by a Sailing Director, Sailors Advisory Group, and Executive Board.
Schooner American Spirit
Since 2008, the NMHF has hosted an annual sailboat race held in October on the Washington Channel and Potomac River. More than 100 sailors participated in 2009. The race takes it name from the Cantina Marina, an event partner located on the Washington Channel.
- National Maritime Heritage Foundation (September 18, 2009). "A Proposal to the Naval History & Heritage Command from the National Maritime Heritage Foundation: Building the Next Generation Navy" (PDF). Retrieved May 11, 2010.
- Faram, Mark (November 9, 2009). "Nonprofit Hasn't Heard About Museum Plan". NavyTimes. Retrieved May 10, 2010.
- Ewing, Philip (March 28, 2010). "Former SecNavs Urge Navy to Join Museum Effort". NavyTimes. Retrieved May 10, 2010.
- "Sailing Programs". National Maritime Heritage Foundation. Retrieved May 10, 2010.
- "Sailing in DC: It's a Breeze!". SpinSheet 16 (6): 16. June 2010.
- "History". DC Sail. Retrieved May 10, 2010.
- "The American Spirit". National Maritime Heritage Foundation. Retrieved May 10, 2010.
- The Great Chesapeake Bay Schooner Race: Official Preview Program (PDF). Annapolis: SpinSheet Publishing Company. 2008. p. 12. Retrieved May 10, 2010.
- Johnson, Kyle (November 2009). "Selling the South: Cantina Cup Highlights SW and Maritime Organization, BID Highlights Restaurant Opportunities". Capital Community News. Retrieved May 11, 2010.