National Order of the Cedar
|Medal of the National Order of the Cedar|
Officer Medal of the National Order of the Cedar
|Awarded by Lebanon|
|Type||State order with five grades|
|Awarded for||Great services rendered to Lebanon, for acts of courage and devotion of great moral value, as for years in public service|
|Established||31 December 1936|
|Next (higher)||Lebanese Order of Merit|
|Next (lower)||Navy Medal|
The National Order of the Cedar (Arabic: وسام الأرز الوطني French: Ordre National du Cèdre) is a civil and military State Order of Lebanon. Established 31 December 1936, the order is the second highest honour of Lebanon and is presented five grades.
The Order was created on the 31 December 1936, but is regulated by the Lebanese Code of Decorations as set out in Decree-Law 122 of 12 June 1959. It is awarded, usually by the President of the Republic of Lebanon, for “great services rendered to Lebanon, for acts of courage and devotion of great moral value, as for years in public service”.
The Medal itself consists of a five-pointed white enamel gilt-edged Maltese cross with stylised green and brown enamel cedars of Lebanon between the arms on a green enamel laurel wreath suspension; the face with a central red enamel medallion inscribed in Arabic ‘Lubnan’ (Lebanon) within an inscribed gilt ring; the reverse with a circular central gilt medallion bearing the red and white enamel national flag of the Republic of Lebanon within an inscribed gilt ring. It has a diameter of 20mm (¾ inch).
|National Order of the Cedar ribbon bars|
 Partial list of recipients
- Charles Corm, businessman, author and philanthropist - Grand Officer, Year???
- Carlos Slim Helu, businessman.
- King Idris of Libya, Libyan monarch, Medal level, Year???
- Boutros Salim AbouNader, Lebanese aviator - Knight, 1975
- Pedro Budib Name, Mexican businessman - Knight, 1974.
- Spencer Abraham, U.S. Secretary of Energy (2001–2005) - Commander, 2004.
- Jad Azkoul, Lebanese Classical guitarist - Knight, 1988.
- Ziad R. Beydoun, Lebanese geologist, Professor of Geology at the American University of Beirut - Knight, 1995.
- Wissam Boustany, British concert flutist - Knight, 1997.
- Alain F. Carpentier, French heart surgeon - Commander, YEAR?
- Randa Chahal, Lebanese filmmaker - Knight, 2007.
- Abdallah Chahine, Lebanese Pianist, Knight, 1974.
- Max Chaya, Lebanese Mountain Climber - Knight, 2003 - Officer, 2006.
- Edgar Choueiri, Lebanese-American Scientist, Professor of Applied Physics at Princeton University- Knight, 2004.
- Claude Comair, Co-Founder Nintendo Software Technology, Founder of DigiPen - Commander, 2001.
- Nelly M. Abboud, President Elect and President of Lebanese American Engineers Society ( 2000 & 2001), Associate Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering and Coordinator of the Undergraduate Environmental Engineering Program at The University of Connecticut- Commander, 2001.
- Georges David Corm, Lebanese Painter - Officer, 1958.
- José Cura, Argentinian Operatic Tenor - Knight, 2000.
- Pierre de Bané, Canadian Senator, Officer - 2002.
- Constantinos A. Doxiadis, Greek Architect and Urban Planner - Knight, 1958
- Grégoire A. Dragatsi, Greek-Lebanese physician and professor at the American University of Beirut- Knight, 1974.
- Charles Elachi, Lebanese-American Scientist, Director of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory- Officer, 2006.
- Michel Elefteriades, Greek-Lebanese politician, artist, producer and businessman - Commander, 2005.
- Fairuz, Lebanese Singer - Knight, 1957 - Commander, 1963.
- Issam Fares, Lebanese Philanthropist and Financier, Deputy Prime Minister of Lebanon - Officer, Grand Officer, Year
- Mustafa Farroukh, Lebanese Painter - Officer, 1954.
- Fouad Mostafa Awad, Egyptian Economist - Officer, 1974.
- Faten Hamama, Egyptian Actress - Commander, 2001.
- Kehdy Farhoud Kehdy, Lebanese Attorney and Poet (1904–2002), Officer, 1995.
- Salim Ghazal, Melkite Greek Catholic bishop, Pacem in Terris Peace and Freedom Award (2007)
- Rafic Hariri, Lebanese Prime Minister (1992 to 1998 and 2000 to 2004) - Commander, 1983 - Grand Cordon, 1996.
- Khaireddine Haseeb, Iraqi Economist - Commander, 2002.
- Taha Hussein, Egyptian Writer. Level of award, Year.
- Costas H. Issidorides, Professor of Chemistry at the American University of Beirut - Knight, 1986
- Bechara El-Khoury, Lebanese Composer - Knight, 2001.
- Jean-Marie Lustiger, Archbishop of Paris (1981–2005), Cardinal - Grand Cordon, Year.
- Farid G. Mitri, Lebanese Biomedical Researcher, Associate Professor of Biomedical Engineering, Mayo Clinic - Officer, 2007.
- Pierre Mauroy, French Prime Minister (1981–1984) - Grand Cordon.
- Mahathir bin Mohamad, Prime Minister of Malaysia (1981–2003) - Commander, 2003.
- Jacques Nasser, Lebanese-Australian Executive, CEO of Ford Motor Company (1999–2001) - Officer, 2002.
- Abbé Pierre, French Catholic priest and Humanitarian - Officer, Year.
- Edwin Terry Prothro, American Psychologist and Educator, Professor of Psychology at the American University of Beirut - Knight, 1969.
- Sir Stephen Henry Roberts, Australian Historian, Vice-Chancellor of the University of Sydney (1947–1967) - Knight, 1961.
- George V. Savvaides, Greek Diplomat - Commander, 2001.
- James Sreenan - Chief of Staff of the Irish Defence Forces (2004–2007) - Commander, 2000.
H. John Shammas, M.D., Chairman, Lebanese American Foundation- Officer, 2004.
- M. Denis Vienot, President of Caritas (charity) Internationalis, the Catholic relief organization - Officer, 2007.
- Jean Misak Belian, General Inspector, In The Lebanese Government General Inspection Department, 2006, (1955–2006).
- Shahantoukhd, Lebanese-Armenian Writer, and Community contributor, 2007.
- Andrew Cohen[disambiguation needed], President of Ishbyd, 2007
- Pierre Shamesian, Lebanese-Armenian Comedy Actor, 2007.
- Col. Larry R. Williams, USMC 1983, Commanding Officer, 10th U.S. Marine Regiment. U.S. Marine Corps political liaison to Lebanese government during bombing of the U.S. Marine Barracks, Beirut. - Officer 1983
- Maj. General Stanisław F. Wozniak, Poland, FC UNIFIL - Commander. 1997
- Maj. General Paolo Gerometta, Italy,UNIFIL SWC and JTF-L Commander, Knight - 2010.
- The Most Reverend Bishop Salim Ghazal, Melkite Bishop and Champion of Co-Existence in Lebanon, Commander - 2011.
- Ali Wehbi",The Lebanese Desert Runner" - Knight, 2012
- Ibrahim Elias Muhanna, Lebanese Actuary - Officer, 2007
- Marie Bashir, Australian Governor - Grand Cordon, 2012
- Ghassan Tueni, (1926-2012) Journalist and politician, 2012
- Wissam al-Hassan, (1965-2012) Chief of Information Branch - Grand officer, 2012