National Order of the Cedar
|Medal of the National Order of the Cedar|
Officer Medal of the National Order of the Cedar
|Awarded by Lebanon|
|Type||State order with five grades|
|Awarded for||Great services rendered to Lebanon, for acts of courage and devotion of great moral value, as for years in public service|
|Established||31 December 1936|
|Next (higher)||Lebanese Order of Merit|
|Next (lower)||Navy Medal|
The National Order of the Cedar (Arabic: وسام الأرز الوطني Wisām al-Arz al-Waṭaniy French: Ordre National du Cèdre) is a civil and military State Order of Lebanon. Established 31 December 1936, the order is the second highest honour of Lebanon and is presented five grades.
The Order was created on the 31 December 1936, but is regulated by the Lebanese Code of Decorations as set out in Decree-Law 122 of 12 June 1959. It is awarded, usually by the President of the Republic of Lebanon, for “great services rendered to Lebanon, for acts of courage and devotion of great moral value, as for years in public service”.
The Medal itself consists of a five-pointed white enamel gilt-edged Maltese cross with stylised green and brown enamel cedars of Lebanon between the arms on a green enamel laurel wreath suspension; the face with a central red enamel medallion inscribed in Arabic ‘Lubnan’ (Lebanon) within an inscribed gilt ring; the reverse with a circular central gilt medallion bearing the red and white enamel national flag of the Republic of Lebanon within an inscribed gilt ring. It has a diameter of 20mm (¾ inch).
|National Order of the Cedar ribbon bars|
Partial list of recipients
- Toni Issa, former Board of Directors of IPT Group, 2014
- Walid Jumblatt, Lebanese politician, 2014. Was awarded the medal by President Michel Suleiman "in appreciation for his national role and political moderation and his call for dialogue among political rivals."
- Wissam al-Hassan, (1965-2012) Chief of Information Branch - Grand officer, 2012.
- Marie Bashir, Governor of New South Wales, Australia — Grand Cordon, 2012.
- Ali Wehbi",The Lebanese Desert Runner" - Knight, 2012
- Ghassan Tueni, (1926-2012) Journalist and politician, 2012.
- Salim Ghazal, Melkite Bishop and Champion of Co-Existence in Lebanon, Commander - 2011.
- Bashar al-Assad, Syrian President - Grand Cordon, 2010.
- Paolo Gerometta, Italian UNIFIL SWC and JTF-L Commander, Knight - 2010.
- H.E Dr. Mohammed Qubaty, Yemeni Ambassador - Knight, 2007.
- Farid G. Mitri, Lebanese Biomedical Researcher, Associate Professor of Biomedical Engineering, Mayo Clinic - Officer, 2007.
- Charles D. Corm, Lebanese businessman - Knight, 2007.
- Salim Ghazal, Melkite Greek Catholic bishop, Pacem in Terris Peace and Freedom Award, 2007.
- M. Denis Vienot, President of Caritas (charity) Internationalis, the Catholic relief organization - Officer, 2007.
- Randa Chahal, Lebanese filmmaker - Knight, 2007.
- Pierre Shamesian, Lebanese-Armenian Comedy Actor, 2007.
- Ibrahim Elias Muhanna, Lebanese Actuary - Officer, 2007.
- Shahantoukhd, Lebanese-Armenian Writer, and Community contributor, 2007.
- Charles Elachi, Lebanese-American Scientist, Director of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory- Officer, 2006.
- Max Chaya, Lebanese Mountain Climber - Knight, 2003 - Officer, 2006.
- Jean Misak Belian, General Inspector in The Lebanese Government General Inspection Department, GRADE (?), 2006.
- Michel Elefteriades, Greek-Lebanese politician, artist, producer and businessman - Commander, 2005.
- Philippe Ziade, Lebanese journalist, founder of the National News Agency, 2005.
- Spencer Abraham, Lebanese-American U.S. Secretary of Energy and former U.S. Senator for Michigan - Commander, 2004.
- H. John Shammas, M.D., Chairman, Lebanese American Foundation- Officer, 2004.
- Edgar Choueiri, Lebanese-American scientist, Professor of Applied Physics at Princeton University- Knight, 2004.
- Mahathir bin Mohamad, Prime Minister of Malaysia (1981–2003) - Commander, 2003.
- Jacques Nasser, Lebanese-Australian Executive, CEO of Ford Motor Company (1999–2001) - Officer, 2002.
- Pierre de Bané, Canadian Senator, Officer - 2002.
- Khaireddine Haseeb, Iraqi Economist - Commander, 2002.
- Nelly M. Abboud, President Elect and President of Lebanese American Engineers Society, Associate Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering and Coordinator of the Undergraduate Environmental Engineering Program at The University of Connecticut - Commander, 2001.
- George V. Savvaides, Greek Diplomat - Commander, 2001.
- Claude Comair, Co-Founder Nintendo Software Technology, Founder of DigiPen - Commander, 2001.
- Carlos Haddad, Lebanese-Brazilian businessman and philanthropist, Grand Officer - 2001.
- Faten Hamama, Egyptian Actress - Commander, 2001.
- Bechara El-Khoury, Lebanese Composer - Knight, 2001.
- James Sreenan - Chief of Staff of the Irish Defence Forces (2004–2007) - Commander, 2000.
- José Cura, Argentinian Operatic Tenor - Knight, 2000.
- Maroun Y. Abi-Rached, Lebanese dermatologist - Commander, 2000.
- Wissam Boustany, British concert flutist - Knight, 1997.
- Stanisław F. Wozniak, Poland, Major General, FC UNIFIL - Commander. 1997
- Rafic Hariri, Lebanese Prime Minister (1992 to 1998 and 2000 to 2004) - Commander, 1983 - Grand Cordon, 1996.
- Ziad R. Beydoun, Lebanese geologist, Professor of Geology at the American University of Beirut - Knight, 1995.
- Kehdy Farhoud Kehdy, Lebanese Attorney and Poet (1904–2002), Officer, 1995.
- Jad Azkoul, Lebanese Classical guitarist - Knight, 1988.
- Costas H. Issidorides, Professor of Chemistry at the American University of Beirut - Knight, 1986.
- Larry R. Williams, USMC 1983, Commanding Officer, 10th U.S. Marine Regiment. U.S. Marine Corps political liaison to Lebanese government during bombing of the U.S. Marine Barracks, Beirut. - Officer 1983.
- Boutros Salim AbouNader, Lebanese aviator - Knight, 1975.
- Fouad Mostafa Awad, Egyptian Economist - Officer, 1974.
- Pedro Budib Name, Mexican businessman - Knight, 1974.
- Grégoire A. Dragatsi, Greek-Lebanese physician and professor at the American University of Beirut- Knight, 1974.
- Abdallah Chahine, Lebanese Pianist, Knight, 1974.
- Edwin Terry Prothro, American Psychologist and Educator, Professor of Psychology at the American University of Beirut - Knight, 1969.
- Fairuz, Lebanese Singer - Knight, 1957 - Commander, 1963.
- Stephen Henry Roberts, Australian Historian, Vice-Chancellor of the University of Sydney (1947–1967) - Knight, 1961.
- Charles Corm, businessman, author and philanthropist - Grand Officer, 1959.
- Doctor James G. Hamilton, British Neurosurgeon - Commander, 1959.
- Georges David Corm, Lebanese Painter - Officer, 1958.
- Constantinos A. Doxiadis, Greek Architect and Urban Planner - Knight, 1958.
- Mustafa Farroukh, Lebanese Painter - Officer, 1954.
- Khalifa bin Salman Al Khalifa, Prime Minister of Bahrain - Gran Officer, 1957.
- Dr Karim Azkoul, Lebanese Diplomat and Philosopher
- Issam Fares, Lebanese Philanthropist and Financier, Deputy Prime Minister of Lebanon - Officer, Grand Officer.
- Jean-Marie Lustiger, Archbishop of Paris, Cardinal - Grand Cordon.
- Pierre Mauroy, French Prime Minister (1981–1984) - Grand Cordon.
- Alain F. Carpentier, French heart surgeon - Commander.
- Abbé Pierre, French Catholic priest and Humanitarian - Officer.
- Carlos Slim Helu, businessman.
- King Idris of Libya, Libyan monarch, Medal level.
- Taha Hussein, Egyptian Writer. Level of award.