National Pest Management Association
|National Pest Management Association|
|Type||501(c)(6) non-profit organization|
|Region served||United States|
|President||Kevin C. Pass|
The National Pest Management Association (NPMA), is a non-profit trade association that represents the interests of the professional pest management industry in the United States. Founded in 1933, the NPMA is committed to the protection of public health, food, and property – supporting this through education, advocacy, and consumer awareness initiatives.
The NPMA is headquartered in Fairfax, VA, and maintains a staff of technical, public policy, and member services professionals. The organization currently maintains an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau.
As stated in its 2013 mission statement, the NPMA “supports members in being professional, knowledgeable, and profitable through education, industry leadership, public policy initiatives, and market development resources.” The goals of the association are:
- Goal 1: Be the definitive source for education, information, and resources for current and future pest management professionals
- Goal 2: Strive to proactively and positively affect regulatory and legislative outcomes for the pest management industry
- Goal 3: Promote the importance of professional pest management and strengthen the public’s perception of the industry
Leadership and governance
The policy-making body of NPMA is governed by the board of directors, composed of 24 voting members: President, Immediate Past President, President-Elect, Treasurer, Secretary; 10 At-Large Directors elected from the general membership; five Regional Directors, and two Associate Directors elected at the discretion of the board. Additionally, one Past President representative, one Allied Member representative, and one non-voting United Producers Formulators & Distributors (UPFDA) Ex-Officio representative also sit on the board. Current board members include:
- President: Kevin C. Pass, Action Pest Control
- President-Elect: William A. Tesh, Pest Management Systems, Inc.
- Immediate Past President: Laura Simpson, Dugas Pest Control of Baton Rouge, Inc.
- Treasurer: H. Russell Ives, Rose Pest Solutions
- Secretary: Chuck Tindol, Allgood Pest Solutions
- Standard Pest Control Company Membership
- Joint Pest Control Company Membership
- Allied Membership
- International Membership
- Full Associate Membership
- Limited Associate Membership
- Student Associate Membership
- Company Associate Membership
Benefits of NPMA membership include access to accredited continuing education, technical resources, pest management research and reporting, and business service discounts. NPMA staffs three entomologists who respond to member inquiries. As such, its technical department provides pest identification and treatment recommendations for all members seeking counsel. Additionally, the NPMA government affairs staff provides consultation on legislative and regulatory issues that may impact pest management companies.
As the NPMA’s consumer education arm, the Professional Pest Management Alliance (PPMA) educates home and business owners about health and property risks associated with pests. As part of its affiliation with PPMA, the association has developed educational resources such as PestWorld, an information repository on pest identification and management. The organization also developed PestWorld for Kids as a scholastic resource designed for student and teacher use.
NPMA also funds scientific research to further our understanding of entomology within the area of community pest control through the Pest Management Foundation, an affiliated charitable organization.
Additionally, the association provides expert research on pest populations and treatment options, most notably tracking the uptick in bed bug infestations and efficacy of management initiatives.
As the professional pest control industry employs more than 150,000 workers and contributes more than $6.81 billion to the U.S. economy annually, NPMA represents the industry in Congress and before federal agencies. It also works with state pest management associations to convey industry interests to state lawmakers and administrative officials. NPMA’s policy work is focused in areas including pesticide regulation, environmental protection, workforce safety, and integrated pest management.
As part of its public policy regarding environmental stewardship, NPMA developed GreenPro in 2009. GreenPro is a green pest management certification program, available to pest control companies that meet the following environmental service standards:
- Providing enhanced testing and training for sales and service technicians
- Following prescriptive guidelines when performing services
- Notifying customers prior to chemical applications outside of program specifications
- Keeping comprehensive records and documentation of treatments made to control pests
As of June 2013, more than 140 companies nationwide have been designated as GreenPro. This program has been nationally recognized by organizations that promote integrated approaches to reducing and eliminating pest populations, including: Natural Resources Defense Council (NDRC), EPA Pesticide Environmental Stewardship Program (PESP) and the Green Restaurant Association (GRA).
- National Pest Management Association (Official Member Website)
- PestWorld (Official Consumer Website)
- PestWorld for Kids (Official Early Childhood Education Website)
- What Is IPM? (Official IPM Consumer Education Website)
- Quality Pro (Official Certification Website)
- NPMA Mission & History, PestWorld. Retrieved 2013-08-19.
- Board of Directors, National Pest Management Association. Retrieved 2013-08-19.
- About NPMA, National Pest Management Association. Retrieved 2013-08-19.
- National Pest Management Association Inc., BBB Business Review, Better Business Bureau. Retrieved 2013-08-19.
- About NPMA, National Pest Management Association. Retrieved 2013-08-23.
- "NPMA Shares Strategic Plan at PestWorld ‘12", Pest Control Technology Magazine. Retrieved 2013-08-23.
- "NPMA announces results of 2013-14 Board Election", Pest Management Professional. Retrieved 2013-08-26.
- Membership, National Pest Management Association. Retrieved 2013-09-10.
- Membership Categories, National Pest Management Association. Retrieved 2013-09-10.
- Membership Benefits, National Pest Management Association. Retrieved 2013-09-10.
- "NPMA Appoints Bennett Jordan as Entomologist/Staff Scientist", National Pest Management Association. Retrieved 2013-09-10.
- "NPMA Names Marcia Duke Director of Regulatory Affairs", Pest Control Technology Magazine. Retrieved 2013-09-10.
- Professional Pest Management Alliance, National Pest Management Association. Retrieved 2013-09-16.
- About PestWorld for Kids, PestWorld for Kids. Retrieved 2013-09-16.
- Support the Industry: What is the Pest Management Foundation?, National Pest Management Association. Retrieved 2013-09-16.
- "Pest control association says bedbug infestations are on the uptick", USA Today Travel. Retrieved 2013-09-16.
- "War on bedbugs is a patchwork affair", The Boston Globe. Retrieved 2013-09-16.
- Occupational Employment and Wages, May 2012: 37-2021 Pest Control Workers, Bureau of Labor Statistics. Retrieved 2013-09-24.
- "SPC Releases 2012 Pest Control Market Research Report", Pest Control Technology Magazine. Retrieved 2013-09-24.
- Public Policy, National Pest Management Association. Retrieved 2013-09-24.
- "NPMA lauds EPA’s stance on DIY rodenticide", Pest Management Professional. Retrieved 2013-09-24.
- "USDA & NPMA Sign Pact to Cooperate on Bird Management", Pest Management Professional. Retrieved 2013-09-24.
- Public Policy Issues, National Pest Management Association. Retrieved 2013-09-24.
- "Pest Elimination Services Transparency & Terminology (PESTT) Act", National Pest Management Association. Retrieved 2013-09-24.
- "NPMA Introduces New Greenpro Certification", Pest Control Technology Magazine. Retrieved 2013-09-24.
- "GreenPro Certified: Understanding and complying with the green service standard", NPMA GreenPro. Retrieved 2013-09-24.
- NPMA GreenPro Certified Companies List, NPMA Certified GreenPro. Retrieved 2013-09-24.
- "Strength through Partnership", QualityPro. Retrieved 2013-09-24.
- Pest PAC: The political action committee of the National Pest Management Association, National Pest Management Association. Retrieved 2013-09-24.