National Police Air Service
The National Police Air Service (NPAS) is a police aviation service that provides centralised air support to the 43 territorial police forces in England and Wales, replacing the previous structure whereby police forces operated their own helicopters, either individually or in small consortia (such as the South East Air Support Unit). The project is coordinated by Alex Marshall (the Chief Constable of Hampshire Police). West Yorkshire Police is the lead Force and the service is operated from West Yorkshire Police Despatch & Flight Monitoring Centre (D&FMC) based at Dudley Hill, Bradford.
NPAS became operational on 1 October 2012, and is being rolled out in stages. As of February 2014[update] the service covers the South East (excluding London), North West and North East, the South West (excluding Wiltshire), and Central regions. Implementation in London, originally scheduled to join NPAS at the start of January 2014, has been postponed to October. The programme is expected to complete in January 2015 with the Wiltshire implementation, which is being delayed in order to reduce the impact on joint operations with the Wiltshire Air Ambulance service. By the end of this schedule the service will provide 25 helicopters, plus three reserve aircraft, operating from 23 bases.
- "New plans for a national police air service". Association of Chief Police Officers. 26 October 2010. Retrieved 5 January 2012.
- "Press Release: National Police Air Service is launched". Association of Chief Police Officers. 1 October 2012.
- "Policies: M24: Air Support". Kent Police. 3 October 2012. Archived from the original on 2012-10-15.
- "New police air service takes off". BBC News Online. 1 October 2012.
- "National Police Air Service: Latest NPAS News". West Yorkshire Police. 2 April 2013. Retrieved 2013-04-04.
- "Police helicopters in the South West join new service". BBC Online. 3 July 2013.
- "NPAS" (PDF). Police Aviation News. November 2013. p. 5.
- "NPAS" (PDF). Police Aviation News. January 2014. p. 10.
- "Wiltshire". Police Aviation News (197). September 2012. pp. 8–9.
- National Police Air Service (NPAS) Briefing – March 2011, National Policing Improvement Agency
- National Police Air Service (NPAS) website
- "NPAS Now" (PDF). Police Aviation News. December 2013. pp. 9–12.