National Premier Soccer League
|Number of teams||57 (2013)|
|Levels on pyramid||4|
|Domestic cup(s)||Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup|
|Current champions||RVA Football Club
|Most championships||Arizona Sahuaros
RVA Football Club
Sonoma County Sol
Southern California Fusion
Utah Salt Ratz
(1 title each)
|2014 NPSL season|
The National Premier Soccer League (NPSL) is a United States soccer league commonly recognized as being a fourth tier league. It is the successor of the Men's Professional Soccer League, a regional league originally based out of the Western United States, which has now expanded nationwide to encompass teams from 19 states.
Although the league is officially affiliated to the United States Adult Soccer Association (USASA), and qualifies for the U.S. Open Cup through USASA channels, the league is generally considered to be at the fourth tier of competition in the United States soccer pyramid, behind Major League Soccer (MLS), the North American Soccer League (NASL) and the United Soccer Leagues Professional Division (USL Pro), and roughly equal with the USL Premier Development League (PDL).
The league's motto is "A National League With A Regional Focus". Some of the clubs are former United Soccer Leagues (USL) clubs.
The National Premier Soccer League began in 2003 as the Men's Professional Soccer League (MPSL) initially as an offshoot of the Women's Premier Soccer League, and marked the first instance of a women's soccer league spawning a men's league. The league's first two champions were the Arizona Sahuaros, who had defected to the MPSL from the USL D-3 Pro League, and the Utah Salt Ratz.
The league expanded into the Midwest in 2005 with the addition of several new teams and a new conference, and changed its name to National Premier Soccer League to reflect its new national footprint; a team from the expansion conference – Detroit Arsenal – won the league in its first year after its eastward expansion. The NPSL expanded further in 2007 with the addition of a new Northeast Conference and five new teams from the eastern United States. The first team from the East to win the national NPSL title was the Pennsylvania Stoners in 2008. The league has since continued to expand, adding more teams throughout the entirety of the country.
Since its inception the league has managed to place at least one team actively playing under its banner into U.S. Open Cup competition. Though the showing of the NPSL in US Open Cup play was typically only one or two teams in its first six years, the 2009 and 2010 cups have seen four and three, respectively, NPSL teams in each tournament. The recent success of the NPSL in USASA qualifying has encouraged a movement by which the league could have automatic berths in the final tournament. The furthest a team from the NPSL has reached in the US Open Cup during the professional era (1997 and onward after the entry of MLS teams) has been the third round. However, the Brooklyn Italians have won the US Open Cup outright before the existence of either MLS or the NPSL.
The Official Ball of the NPSL is the FIFA-Approved Brilliant Super Ball provided by Select Sport. They are in the first year of sponsorship.
Confirmed 2014 expansion teams
|Team Name||Metro Area||Location||Region / Conference||Previous Affiliation|
|Greater Lowell United FC ||Lowell, MA||Lowell, MA||Northeast Region - Atlantic Conference||Expansion Team|
|FC Carolina Discoveries ||Rock Hill, SC||Rock Hill, SC||South Region - Mid-Atlantic Conference||Expansion Team|
|Virginia Legacy Soccer Club ||Williamsburg, VA||Williamsburg, VA||South Region - Mid-Atlantic Conference||Expansion Team|
|Gate City FC ||Greensboro, NC||Greensboro, NC||South Region - Mid-Atlantic Conference||Expansion Team|
|Virginia Beach NPSL ||Virginia Beach, VA||Virginia Beach, VA||South Region - Mid-Atlantic Conference||Expansion Team|
|Atlanta Silverbacks Reserves ||Atlanta, GA||Atlanta, GA||South Region - Mid-Atlantic Conference||Returning Team|
|Storm FC ||Broward County, FL||Broward County, FL||South Region - Sunshine Conference||Expansion Team|
|Nashville Atlas FC ||Nashville, TN||Nashville, TN||South Region - Southeast Conference||Expansion Team|
|BCS Clash ||Bryan-College Station, TX||College Station, TX||South Region - South Central Conference||Expansion Team|
|Flower Mound FC ||Dallas-Fort Worth, TX||Flower Mound, TX||South Region - South Central Conference||Expansion Team|
|Cincinnati Saints ||Cincinnati, OH||Cincinnati, OH||Midwest Region - Great Lakes Conference||Expansion Team|
|Lansing United FC||Lansing, MI||Lansing, MI||Midwest Region - Great Lakes Conference||Expansion Team|
|PA West Soccer ||Pittsburgh, PA||Pittsburgh, PA||Midwest Region - Great Lakes Conference||Expansion Team|
|Minnesota United FC Reserves||Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MN||Woodbury, MN||Midwest Region - Central Conference||Expansion Team|
|FC Bordo Saint Louis ||St. Louis, MO||St. Louis, MO||Midwest Region - Central Conference||Expansion Team|
|Temecula FC ||Riverside, CA||Temecula, CA||West Region - Southwest Conference||Expansion Team|
|SO Samba FC ||Hood River, OR||Hood River, OR||West Region - Northwest Conference||Expansion Team|
|Spartans Futbol Club ||Portland, OR||Vancouver, WA||West Region - Northwest Conference||Expansion Team|
Former MPSL/NPSL teams
- "National Premier Soccer League". National Premier Soccer League. Retrieved 2013-10-01.
- "The Unruly Soccer Pyramids of America by Mike Firpo". SoccerNewsday.com. 2012-02-10. Retrieved 2013-10-01.
- New League Structure Announced at AGM
- "THE NPSL COMES TO LOWELL, MA". NPSL. Retrieved 19 November 2013.
- "New soccer team in Lowell will join Premier League". Lowell Sun. Retrieved 20 November 2013.
- "THE NPSL COMES TO ROCK HILL, SC". NPSL. Retrieved 5 December 2013.
- "VIRGINIA LEGACY JOINS THE NPSL". NPSL. NPSL. Retrieved June 6, 2013.
- "Gate City join the NPSL".
- "Virginia join the NPSL".
- "Atlanta Silverbacks Reserves returning to the NPSL".
- "STORM FC JOINS THE NPSL". NPSL. NPSL. Retrieved September 27, 2013.
- "NASHVILLE ATLAS FC JOINS THE NPSL FC". NPSL. NPSL. Retrieved October 22, 2013.
- "BCS CLASH JOINS THE NPSL". NPSL. NPSL. Retrieved November 21, 2013.
- "THE NPSL WELCOMES FLOWER MOUND FC". NPSL. NPSL. Retrieved September 4, 2013.
- "CINCINNATI JOINS THE NPSL". NPSL. NPSL. Retrieved August 6, 2013.
- "Soccer in Lansing". Soccer in Lansing. Retrieved 2013-10-01.
- "Name of Lansing soccer team unveiled". Soccer in Lansing. November 6, 2013. Retrieved November 6, 2013.
- "PA West Soccer Joins the NPSL".
- "MINNESOTA UNITED FC ANNOUNCES RESERVE TEAM". NPSL. NPSL. Retrieved November 19, 2013.
- "NPSL comes to Saint Louis".
- "TEMECULA FC JOINS THE NPSL". NPSL. NPSL. Retrieved September 27, 2013.
- Semi-Pro Soccer Team Taking Shape, Hood River News, August 6, 2013
- "SPARTANS FC JOINS THE NPSL". NPSL. NPSL. Retrieved December 7, 2013.