National Register of Historic Places listings in Cook County, Minnesota
This is a list of the National Register of Historic Places listings in Cook County, Minnesota. It is intended to be a complete list of the properties and districts on the National Register of Historic Places in Cook County, Minnesota, United States. The locations of National Register properties and districts for which the latitude and longitude coordinates are included below, may be seen in an online map.
There are 14 properties and districts listed on the National Register in the county.
|||Name on the Register||Image||Date listed||Location||City or town||Description|
|1||AMBOY and GEORGE SPENCER Shipwreck Sites||
||Schroeder vicinity||1884 wooden bulk freighter and 1874 schooner-barge sunk during the 1905 Mataafa Storm.|
|2||Bally Blacksmith Shop||
|Broadway and First Streets
||Grand Marais||1911 false-fronted blacksmith shop.|
|3||Cascade River Wayside||
|3481 Minnesota Highway 61
||Cascade River State Park||Rustic Style highway wayside built 1934–1936 by the Civilian Conservation Corps.|
|4||Chik Wauk Lodge||
|28 Moose Pond Road
||Grand Marais vicinity||1933 stone lodge on Saganaga Lake. Now houses a Gunflint Trail Historical Society museum and nature center.|
|5||Church of St. Francis Xavier-Catholic||
|U.S. Route 61
||Grand Marais vicinity||1895 mission church, only surviving structure from the Ojibwe town of Chippewa City. Now a Cook County Historical Society museum.|
|Off County Road 66
||Grand Marais vicinity||1926 log resort built to attract early tourists.|
|7||Cook County Courthouse||
|411 Second Street
||Grand Marais||1912 Classical Revival courthouse.|
|8||Fowl Lake Site||
||Hovland vicinity||Island site yielding artifacts from the Late Paleo-Indian, Archaic, and Woodland periods. A type site for the Old Copper Complex.|
|9||Grand Portage National Monument||
|Off U.S. Route 61 within Grand Portage Indian Reservation
||Grand Portage vicinity||Site of North West Company fur trading outposts at either end of a 8.5-mile (13.7 km) portage trail, active 1778–1802. Partially reconstructed under the National Park Service.|
|10||Height of Land||
|Between North and South Lake in the Superior National Forest
||Grand Marais vicinity||Native American and fur trade-era portage on the Laurentian Divide.|
|12 South Broadway
||Grand Marais||1896 frame housing for keepers of the Grand Marais Light. Now houses a Cook County Historical Society museum.|
|12||Naniboujou Club Lodge||
|U.S. Route 61
||Grand Marais vicinity||Lodge built 1928–9 with unique Cree-inspired interior design, stemming from one of the most elaborate recreational developments planned in northern Minnesota.|
|13||Schroeder Lumber Company Bunkhouse||
|U.S. Route 61
||Schroeder vicinity||c. 1900 log housing for employees of a major North Shore lumber company.|
|14||Jim Scott Fishhouse||
|U.S. Route 61 at Fifth Avenue
||Grand Marais||1907 frame processing and maintenance building of a commercial fisherman.|
- List of National Historic Landmarks in Minnesota
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Minnesota
- "National Register of Historic Places: Weekly List Actions". National Park Service, United States Department of the Interior. Retrieved on July 3, 2014.
- Numbers represent an ordering by significant words. Various colorings, defined here, differentiate National Historic Landmarks and historic districts from other NRHP buildings, structures, sites or objects.
- The eight-digit number below each date is the number assigned to each location in the National Register Information System database, which can be viewed by clicking the number.
- "George Spencer". Lake Superior Shipwrecks. Minnesota Historical Society. Retrieved 2012-08-28.
- Nord, Mary Ann (2003). The National Register of Historic Places in Minnesota. Minnesota Historical Society. ISBN 0-87351-448-3.
- "Cascade River Wayside". Minnesota National Register Properties Database. Minnesota Historical Society. 2009. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- "Chik Wauk Lodge". Minnesota National Register Properties Database. Minnesota Historical Society. 2009. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- "Chik-Wauk Museum and Nature Center". Gunflint Trail Historical Society. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- "Saint Francis Xavier Catholic Church". Cook County Historical Society. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- Anfinson, Scott (2009). Finding Minnesota: A Geographic Guide to Minnesota Archaeology. Minnesota Office of the State Archaeologist. Retrieved 2012-12-18.
- "Grand Portage National Monument". National Park Service. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- "Museums of the Cook County Historical Society". Cook County Historical Society. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- Nelson, Charles W.; Mark E. Haidet (1982-05-05). National Register of Historic Places Registration Form: Naniboujou Club Lodge. National Park Service. Retrieved 2013-05-27.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to National Register of Historic Places in Cook County, Minnesota.|
- Minnesota National Register Properties Database—Minnesota Historical Society