National Register of Historic Places listings in Crow Wing County, Minnesota
This is a list of the National Register of Historic Places listings in Crow Wing County, Minnesota. It is intended to be a complete list of the properties and districts on the National Register of Historic Places in Crow Wing County, Minnesota, United States. The locations of National Register properties and districts for which the latitude and longitude coordinates are included below, may be seen in an online map.
There are 33 properties and districts listed on the National Register in the county.
|||Name on the Register||Image||Date listed||Location||City or town||Summary|
|1||Brainerd Public Library||
|206 N. 7th St.
||Brainerd||1904 brick Classical Revival Carnegie library.|
|2||Brainerd Water Tower||
|Washington at 6th St.
||Brainerd||1921 water tower with an innovative concrete design.|
|3||Bridge No. 5265-Garrison||
|U.S. Route 169 near Mille Lacs Lake
||Garrison||1938 arch bridge with decorative masonry, built by the Civilian Conservation Corps.|
|4||H. H. Broach House||
||Pequot Lakes||1920s log summer home with cobble masonry.|
|5||A.L. Cole Memorial Building||
|4285 Tower Square
||Pequot Lakes||1937 civic center built by the Works Progress Administration, long a movie theater and now the Pequot Lakes Historical Society's museum.|
|6||Crow Wing County Courthouse and Jail||
|326 Laurel St.
||Brainerd||1920 stone Beaux-Arts courthouse and 1917 brick sheriff's residence/jailhouse, which now houses the Crow Wing County Historical Society Museum.|
|7||Crow Wing State Park||
|Off Minnesota Highway 371
||Baxter vicinity||Habitation site at a key travel junction, occupied from Precolumbian times up to the 19th-century town of Old Crow Wing.|
|27 E. Forest Rd.
||Deerwood||1937 Moderne municipal auditorium built by the Works Progress Administration.|
|9||Elevated Metal Water Tank, Crosby||
|Western side of 1st Ave. E., between 1st and 2nd Sts., N.
||Crosby||One of five water towers built 1912–1918 during the development of the Cuyuna Range.|
|10||Elevated Metal Water Tank, Cuyuna||
|Northern side of North St. west of Chicago Ave.
||Cuyuna||One of five water towers built 1912–1918 during the development of the Cuyuna Range.|
|11||Elevated Metal Water Tank, Deerwood||
|211 Maple St.
||Deerwood||One of five water towers built 1912–1918 during the development of the Cuyuna Range.|
|12||Elevated Metal Water Tank, Ironton||
|Southern side of 7th St. west of Viola Ave.
||Ironton||One of five water towers built 1912–1918 during the development of the Cuyuna Range.|
|13||Elevated Metal Water Tank, Trommald||
||Trommald||One of five water towers built 1912–1918 during the development of the Cuyuna Range.|
|14||Wilford H. Fawcett House||
|Off County Highway 4
||Breezy Point||1928 Rustic log chateau of the founder of Fawcett Publications. Now a rental property within a lake resort.|
|15||Fort Flatmouth Mounds||
||Crosslake vicinity||8 linear mounds beside Cross Lake.|
|16||Franklin Junior High School||
|1001 Kingwood St.
||Brainerd||1932 Gothic Revival school.|
|Jct. of MN 169 & MN 18
||Garrison||Large highway wayside built 1936–39 by the Civilian Conservation Corps, centerpiece of an early and extensive roadside development project. Also noted for its blend of formalism and National Park Service rustic design.|
||Crosslake vicinity||Linear mound group, now interspersed with residential development.|
|19||Grand View Lodge||
|Off County Highway 77
||Nisswa||1918 Rustic resort lodge, one of the most elaborate examples in northern Minnesota.|
|20||Werner Hemstead House||
|303 N. 4th St.
||Brainerd||1903 frame Classical Revival house of a notable local politician.|
|21||Ironton City Hall||
|309 3rd St.
||Ironton||1917 brick and stucco city hall built to house a variety of municipal services.|
|22||Ironton Sintering Plant Complex||
|County Highway 30
||Crosby||1924 sintering plant for iron ore.|
|23||Milford Mine Historic District||
|1 mile southwest of junction of MN 6 and County Road 30
||Wolford vicinity||Remains of the Milford Mine, active 1912–1932 and site of Minnesota's worst mining disaster, in which 41 miners were killed February 2, 1924. Now a memorial county park.|
|24||Minnesota and International Railroad Freight House and Shelter Shed||
|County Highway 30
||Nisswa vicinity||c. 1918 open-air passenger depot and freight house.|
|County Highway 13
||Nisswa||1890s actors' retreat on Clark Lake, one of the earliest surviving resorts in Minnesota.|
|26||Northern Pacific Railroad Shops Historic District||
|Roughly bounded by the Burlington Northern railroad tracks, Laurel, and 13th Sts.
||Brainerd||Railroad maintenance complex built 1882–1925.|
|623 Laurel St.
||Brainerd||1909 brick commercial building.|
|28||Red River Trail: Crow Wing Section||
|Off County Highway 27 in Crow Wing State Park
||Baxter vicinity||19th-century fur trade trail section crossing the Mississippi River at Old Crow Wing.|
|29||Sebre Lake Site (21-CW-55)||
||Fort Ripley vicinity||3000 BCE–900 CE habitation site with possible burials.|
|30||Soo Line Depot||
|1st St., N. and 1st Ave., E.
||Crosby||1910 brick depot at the end of an iron ore shipping railway. Now a museum.|
|Curtis Ave. and 4th St.
||Ironton||1913 brick hotel dating to the Cuyuna Range mining boom.|
|32||St. Columba Mission Site||
||Nisswa vicinity||Site of 1852 Episcopal mission complex destroyed during the Dakota War of 1862.|
|33||Upper Hay Lake Archeological District||
||Jenkins vicinity||900–1650 CE village site with linear mounds.|
- List of National Historic Landmarks in Minnesota
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Minnesota
- Minnesota Historical Society
- "National Register of Historic Places: Weekly List Actions". National Park Service, United States Department of the Interior. Retrieved on February 28, 2014.
- Numbers represent an ordering by significant words. Various colorings, defined here, differentiate National Historic Landmarks and historic districts from other NRHP buildings, structures, sites or objects.
- The eight-digit number below each date is the number assigned to each location in the National Register Information System database, which can be viewed by clicking the number.
- Nord, Mary Ann (2003). The National Register of Historic Places in Minnesota. Minnesota Historical Society. ISBN 0-87351-448-3.
- "The Pequot Lakes Historical Society". 2008. Retrieved 2012-09-13.
- "Crow Wing County Courthouse". Minnesota Judicial Branch. Retrieved 2012-09-13.
- Hanson, Krista Finstad (2007). Minnesota Open House: A Guide to Historic House Museums. [St. Paul, Minn.]: Minnesota Historical Society Press. ISBN 978-0-87351-577-1.
- Frame III, Robert M. (1980-03-19). National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form: Wilford H. Fawcett House. Minnesota Historical Society.
- "Fawcett House". Breezy Point Resort. Retrieved 2012-09-13.
- Paprock, John-Brian; Teresa Peneguy Paprock (2004). Sacred Sites of Minnesota. Black Earth, Wis.: Trails Books. ISBN 1931599262.
- "Franklin Junior High School". Minnesota National Register Properties Database. Minnesota Historical Society. 2009. Retrieved 2012-11-24.
- Granger, Susan; Scott Kelly, Liz Morrison (March 2013). National Register of Historic Places Registration Form: Garrison Concourse. National Park Service. Retrieved 2014-01-12.
- "Changes to the National Register of Historic Places in Minnesota, 2003-2010". Minnesota State Historic Preservation Office. 2011-02-01. Retrieved 2012-11-24.
- Terrell, Michelle M. (2010-08-06). National Register of Historic Places Registration Form: Milford Mine Historic District. National Park Service. Retrieved 2012-11-24.
- "Milford Mine Memorial Park". Crow Wing County. Retrieved 2012-11-24.
- "Minnewawa Lodge". Getaways Through the Years. Minnesota Historical Society. 2007. Retrieved 2011-07-31.
- "Cuyuna Iron Range Heritage Network". Retrieved 2012-11-27.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to National Register of Historic Places in Crow Wing County, Minnesota.|
- Minnesota National Register Properties Database—Minnesota Historical Society
- A list of the above sites, with street addresses and other information, is available at Crow Wing County, MN listing of National Register of Historic Places.Com, a private site serving up NRHP information.