National Security Medal
|National Security Medal|
National Security Medal
|Last awarded||January 16,2009|
|Equivalent||National Intelligence Distinguished Service Medal|
National Security Ribbon
The National Security Medal was a decoration of the United States of America officially established by President Harry S. Truman in Executive Order 10431 of January 19, 1953. The medal was awarded to any person, without regard to nationality, for distinguished achievement or outstanding contribution on or after July 26, 1947, in the field of intelligence relating to the national security of the United States. 
The National Security Medal is authorized to both civilians and personnel of the United States military and is an authorized decoration for display on active duty uniforms of the United States armed forces. In such cases, the National Security Medal is worn after all U.S. military personal decorations and unit awards and before any military campaign/service awards and foreign decorations.
Additional decorations of the National Security Medal are denoted by a bronze oak leaf cluster.
Upon establishment of the National Intelligence Awards Program by the United States Intelligence Community, this highest award has been replaced with the National Intelligence Distinguished Service Medal.
- Major General William Joseph Donovan
- Allen Dulles
- William F. Friedman
- Robert Gates
- Richard Helms
- J Edgar Hoover
- Lawrence R. Houston
- Clarence Leonard Johnson
- Edward Lansdale
- John McCone
- Frank Rowlett
- Adm. William O. Studeman, USN
- Adm. John Scott Redd 
- Walter Bedell Smith 
- Michael Hayden, 
- William H. Webster
- 32 C.F.R. § 578.16, 2003
- William J. Wild Bill Donovan, Major General, United States Army. Arlingtoncemetery.net. Retrieved on 2010-12-30.
- DCI Statement on Death of Lawrence Houston — Central Intelligence Agency. Cia.gov. Retrieved on 2010-12-30.
- Lockheed's Aviation Genius — Central Intelligence Agency. Cia.gov. Retrieved on 2010-12-30.
- 99 – Citation Accompanying the National Security Medal Presented to Frank Byron Rowlett., March 2, 1966
- Former DDCI Admiral Studeman Feted at Retirement Ceremony — Central Intelligence Agency. Cia.gov. Retrieved on 2010-12-30.
- - NATIONAL SECURITY MEDAL AWARDED TO FORMER NCTC DIRECTOR. nctc.gov. Retrieved on 2011-5-23.
- In Memoriam. General Walter Bedell Smith. 5 October 1895 – 9 August 1961., Central Intelligence Agency, retrieved 31 August 2010
- Paul Bedard (January 16, 2009). "CIA's Hayden, Kappes Receive National Security Medal From Bush". US News. Retrieved April 20, 2011.