National Ski Hall of Fame
|National Ski Hall of Fame|
Side view of building shows its ski jump shape
The U.S. Ski and Snowboard Hall of Fame and Museum is located in the City of Ishpeming in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, the birthplace of organized skiing in the United States. Along with housing the Hall of Fame and Museum, the building includes a theater, library, gift shop, offices and ample storage space for archive material and collections.
In 1905, the National Ski Association, today known as the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Association, was formed in Ishpeming. The National Ski Association was formed during a meeting of ski clubs from Ishpeming, MI, Minneapolis, Red Wing, Minnesota, and Eau Claire, Wisconsin. Ispheming Ski Club founder Carl Tellefsen was its first president. For his contribution, he was the first person to be accorded Honored Membership in the U.S. National Ski Hall of Fame and Museum in 1956.
The Roland Palmedo Memorial Library, one of the largest research ski libraries in the United States is housed here. Roland Palmedo was a ski-sport builder and contributor for more than 50 years. He helped to organize the National Ski Patrol, the teacher certification program, and various early ski teams and clubs. He also edited two skiing books and developed one of the most extensive ski libraries in America. Following his death in 1977, his family donated his library to the National Ski Hall of Fame and Museum where it has become the nucleus for the Roland Palmedo Memorial Library.
Notable members of the Hall of Fame
|Charles "Minnie" Dole||1958|
|Andrea Mead Lawrence||1958|
- Baulch, Vivian M. (February 1, 2002). "Michigan's long history of ski jumping". The Detroit News. ISSN 1055-2715. Retrieved February 13, 2011.
- Staff (2007). "USSA History". U.S. Ski and Snowboard Association. Archived from the original on April 12, 2009. Retrieved June 2, 2012.
- Johnson, Alice; Morissette, Mary (June 2002). "Forefather: Carl Tellefsen". Skiing Heritage Journal 14 (2): 41.
- "Robert Beattie". National Ski Hall of Fame. Retrieved February 17, 2014.
- Boyum, Burt; LaFreniere, Jamie (2003). The Ishpeming Ski Club: Over a Century of Skiing. Ishpeming, MI: US National Ski and Hall of Fame Museum.