National Society of Collegiate Scholars
|The National Society of Collegiate Scholars (NSCS)|
|Motto||Honor. Inspire. Engage.|
|Formation||April 30, 1994|
|CEO and Founder||Stephen E. Loflin|
The National Society of Collegiate Scholars (NSCS) is a national tax-exempt academic honor society for college students in the United States. NSCS has active chapters at more than 300 colleges and universities in the United States, including the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico, which consists of a body of nearly one million members.
NSCS was founded in 1994 at George Washington University in Washington, DC, by Steve Loflin, who, at the time, worked in Student Affairs at George Washington University. The first NSCS Convocation Induction was held on the George Washington University campus on April 30, 1994. Loflin founded NSCS to recognize students who performed well academically during their first years in college and to provide members with an opportunity to take a leadership role in an organization devoted to scholarship, leadership, and service.
NSCS places a strong emphasis on its integrity and considers it the foundation of its organization. Each year, NSCS designates an I Stand for Integrity Week and, in addition, it offers its members scholarships and awards for professors who instill integrity in their students.
NSCS offers both undergraduate and graduate scholarships to its members. Scholarships that are distributed include the NSCS Merit Award, GEICO Achievement Award, Induction Recognition Award, Integrity Scholarship, Liberty Mutual Scholarship, NECA Study Abroad Scholarship, NSCS-GEICO Graduate Scholarship, Scholar Abroad Scholarship, Scholar at Sea Scholarship, and Service Initiative Grants.
The National Society of Collegiate Scholars is a member of several organizations, which include the Association of College Honor Societies, the only certifying agency for college and university honor societies in the United States.
Other organizations of which NSCS is a member include the following:
- National Collegiate Honors Council (NCHC)
- National Association of Student Personnel Administrators (NASPA)
- National Scholarship Providers Association (NSPA)
NSCS partners with both public and private organizations, including the following:
- Church Hill Classics
- CoFounders Lab
- CommonWealth Planning
- Dream Careers
- Hult International Business School
- Liberty Mutual
- New York Life
- New York University
- Pearson Education
- President's Volunteer Service Award
- Qs Tour
- Rx Cut
- Semester at Sea
- Teach For America
- The Fund for American Studies
- The Princeton Review
- UMB[disambiguation needed]
- UnCommon Schools
- Universum[disambiguation needed]
- Young Entrepreneurs Academy
Board of regents
Members of the Honorary Board of Regents include the following:
- "Internal Revenue Service Online Charity Search".
- Association of College Honor Societies. 2010
- "Community service". Georgia Tech NSCS Community Service. 2009.
- "Inspire Integrity Awards Finalists Named". Baylor University. 2009. Retrieved 2009-01-16.
- "Finalist Named". The Rebel Yell. 2009. Retrieved 2009-01-22.
- "Scholarships". National Society of Collegiate Scholars. 2009. Retrieved 2009-01-22.
- National Society of Collegiate Scholars. 2010.
- The National Society of Collegiate Scholars - Official Web Site
- Like NSCS on Facebook
- Official Twitter Feed
- Official YouTube Channel
- Link with fellow Collegiate Scholar honorees on LinkedIn