National Symphony Orchestra (Taiwan)
|National Symphony Orchestra
|Concert hall||National Concert Hall|
|Principal conductor||Lu Shao-chia|
The National Symphony Orchestra (simplified Chinese: 国家交响乐团; traditional Chinese: 國家交響樂團, often abbreviated as NSO), also known as Taiwan Philharmonic (simplified Chinese: 台湾爱乐; traditional Chinese: 台灣愛樂) outside Taiwan, is one of the leading orchestras in Asia. Since 1987, the orchestra has its residence in the National Concert Hall in Taipei, Taiwan.
Subscription Concert Series
In the year of 2002, NSO held a series of five concerts that featured all nine symphonies and five piano concertos by Ludwig van Beethoven. The concerts, called a discovery cycle (Chinese: NSO發現系列), became NSO's regular Subscription Concert Series later since the 2004/2005 season. In each season, there are ten concerts consisting of at least one orchestral work of a composer.
From September 2004 to June 2008, four Subscription Concert Series have been presented.
- 2007/2008 - Tchaikovsky
- 2006/2007 - Richard Strauss
- 2005/2006 - Shostakovich
- 2004/2005 - Mahler
- ( 2002/2003 - Beethoven)
In the 2008/2009 season, a newly created MyNSO series (Chinese: NSO青春套票) took place of the Subscription Concert Series.
Already in November 1994, NSO performed opera in National Concert Hall, Der fliegende Holländer was led by Prof. TSENG Dao-hsiung (Chinese: 曾道雄), in December 2000, Jahja Ling performed Hänsel und Gretel. Under Chien Wen-pin's directorship, he first tried a semi-stage performance of the Third Act of Die Walküre in May 2002, this experience became NSO's regular NSO Opera Series (Chinese: NSO歌劇系列) from the 2002/2003 season. In each season, there are two opera directed by cross-over artist in Taiwan, the cast consisted mainly local singers.
From December 2002 to December 2007, fourteen operas have been produced, many of them were Taiwan's premier*.
- 2007/2008 - Die Fledermaus
- 2006/2007 - *Der Ring des Nibelungen (complete), Die lustige Witwe
- 2005/2006 - Così fan tutte, Le nozze di Figaro
- 2004/2005 - *Norma, *Falstaff
- 2003/2004 - *La damnation de Faust, Don Giovanni
- 2002/2003 - Tosca, *Tristan und Isolde
Fairy Tale Forever Series
From April 2002 to April 2008, NSO has been collaborated with four different performing groups and organizations for bringing musical experiences (Chinese: NSO永遠的童話系列) to the young audiences.
- 2007/2008 - Peer Gynt
- 2006/2007 - Le Carnaval des Animaux
- 2005/2006 - Firebird
- 2004/2005 - Secret in the Woods
- 2003/2004 - Pied Piper Fantasy
- 2002/2003 - Peter and the Wolf
- Gerard Akoka, artistic advisor and principal conductor 1986-1990
- Urs Schneider, artistic advisor and principal conductor 1991-1992
- Hsu Chang-huei (Chinese: 許常惠), music director (commissioner) 1994
- Chang Da-sheng (Chinese: 張大勝), music director 1995-1997
- Jahja Ling (Chinese: 林望傑), music director 1998-2001
- Chien Wen-pin (Chinese: 簡文彬), music director 2001-2007
- Günther Herbig, artistic advisor and principal guest conductor 2008-2010
- Lu Shao-chia (Chinese: 呂紹嘉), music director 2010-
The nomination of maestro Lu Shao-chia as NSO's 5th music director has been announced in June 2009, he has signed a five years contract.
- Wu Ting-yu (Chinese: 吳庭毓), Li I-ching (Chinese: 李宜錦)
- Associate concertmaster
- Teng Hao-tun (Chinese: 鄧皓敦)
- Assistant Conductor
- Chang Yin-fang (Chinese: 張尹芳)
- Strings (11-14-11-9-7)
- Woodwinds (4-4-4-4)
- Brass (5-4-4-1)
- Timpani & Percussion (5)
- Harp (1)
- Piano (1)
NSO has published the following recordings under their own label of "NSO Live":
- Chien Wen-pin & NSO Live: Mahler Symphony No. 4 & Shostakovich Symphony No. 8 (2008)
- Lü Shao-chia & NSO Live: Shostakovich Symphony No. 4 & Ein Heldenleben (2009)
- Günther Herbig & NSO Live: Mahler Symphony No. 6 (2009)
- Bruckner Symphony No. 9 Live with Günther Herbig (2010)
- Mahler Symphony No. 9 Live with Günther Herbig (2010)
- Executive Director
Joyce Chiou (Chinese: 邱瑗)
- Artistic Planning division
- Production & Administration division
- Chairperson of the Board of Directors, National Chiang Kai Shek Cultural Center
TCHEN Yu-chiou (Chinese: 陳郁秀)
- Artistic Director, National Chiang Kai Shek Cultural Center
LIU Chung-shu (Chinese: 劉瓊淑)
- Deputy Director, National Chiang Kai Shek Cultural Center
HSIEH Tsui-yu (Chinese: 謝翠玉)