Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company
||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (July 2012)|
New logo introduced in September 2014, similar to the original logo.
|Headquarters||One Nationwide Plaza
Columbus, Ohio USA
|Steve Rasmussen, CEO|
|Products||Insurance, Investments, Banking|
|Revenue||US$ 30.356 billion (2012)|
|US$ 749 million (2012)|
|Total assets||US$ 153.543 billion (2012)|
Number of employees
|Slogan||Nationwide is On Your Side.|
Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company & Affiliated Companies is a group of large U.S. insurance and financial services companies based in Columbus, OH. The company also operates regional headquarters in Des Moines, IA; San Antonio, TX; Gainesville, FL; Lynchburg, VA; Raleigh, NC; and Westerville, OH.
Nationwide Financial Services (NFS), a component of the group, was partially floated on the New York Stock Exchange prior to being repurchased by Nationwide Mutual in 2009. It had owned the majority of NFS common stock since it had gone public in 1997.
The slogan is: "Nationwide is on your side".
- 1 History
- 2 Sponsorships
- 3 The Companies
- 4 Diversity
- 5 Technology
- 6 CEOs
- 7 Controversies
- 8 See also
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Beginnings as Farm Bureau Mutual
On December 17, 1925, the Ohio Farm Bureau Federation incorporated the Farm Bureau Mutual Automobile Insurance Company in Columbus, Ohio. At that time, Ohio law required 100 people to pledge to become policyholders. The first agents managed to recruit ten times that number, and on April 12, 1926, Farm Bureau Mutual started business with 1,000 policyholders.
The first product of the new company, as its name implied, was automobile insurance. The company wrote policies only to Ohio farmers. In 1928, Farm Bureau Mutual began offering policies to West Virginia farmers, followed by Maryland, Delaware, Vermont, and North Carolina. Farm Bureau Mutual began underwriting residents of small towns in 1931, and residents in larger cities in 1934.
Also in 1934, Farm Bureau Mutual began offering fire insurance. This product grew the following year with the purchase of a struggling fire insurance company. With growth came a need for expansion of office space. In 1936, the company moved to the famous 246 Building at 246 N. High Street in Columbus. By 1943, Farm Bureau Mutual operated in 12 states and the District of Columbia. Even with the tripling of space in the 246 Building (which was finally dedicated on the 25th anniversary of the company), Farm Bureau Mutual still had insufficient office space, and began opening regional offices in 1951.
In 1955, Farm Bureau Mutual changed its name to Nationwide Insurance, a name by which it is commonly known today. In the 10 years that followed, Nationwide expanded into Oregon, making the company truly "nationwide". It also expanded into 19 other states, bringing the total by 1965 to 32 states and the District of Columbia.
Nationwide outgrew the 246 Building by the 1970s and work began on a new skyscraper headquarters for the company. In 1978, One Nationwide Plaza was completed at the southwest corner of N. High Street and Nationwide Blvd. on the northern edge of downtown Columbus, Ohio. Since 1988, Nationwide has added the following to its presence in Downtown Columbus: Plaza Two (on the northeast corner of High Street and Chestnut), Plaza Three (just west of High Street and Chestnut), Plaza Four (Front Street), and 275 Marconi (behind Plazas One and Three on Marconi Blvd) which together with Plaza One form the primary downtown complex. In addition to downtown Columbus, Nationwide also has a significant presence in the Columbus, Ohio metropolitan suburbs of Dublin and Grove City.
In 2003, Nationwide secured the naming rights from what was then the Buy.com Tour, the second-highest men's professional golf tour in the United States.
Nationwide Children's Hospital
Helping Columbus become a major league city
By 1997, the city of Columbus had grown to become the 15th largest city in the United States. However, Columbus by this time was the largest American city without a professional sports franchise competing in the top leagues in the United States (i.e., Major League Baseball, the National Football League, the National Basketball Association, or the National Hockey League). After plans to move the Hartford Whalers to Columbus failed when voters rejected a tax levy, the Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company announced that it would build an arena adjacent to One Nationwide Plaza in an effort to bring an NHL franchise to Columbus. This second effort was successful, and the Columbus Blue Jackets began play at Nationwide Arena in late 2000. Nationwide Arena, named for the company, is the centerpiece of the Arena District, an area of entertainment venues, restaurants, and hotels linking downtown Columbus with The Short North neighborhood.
The Columbus Crew of Major League Soccer were actually the first Major League franchise representing Columbus in the post-war era, and they play at their own stadium, Columbus Crew Stadium, which was the first Soccer-specific stadium built in the United States, opening in 1999. The Crew were one of the original members of the MLS, and won their first MLS Cup in 2008.
Nationwide became the title sponsor of the NASCAR Nationwide Series beginning in the 2008 season. On September 18, 2013, the company announced it will no longer sponsor the series after 2014, but will remain an official sponsor of NASCAR. Starting in 2015, Nationwide will also sponsor Dale Earnhardt, Jr.'s No. 88.
On August 5, 2010, Nationwide announced that it is now the official insurance provider of the Cincinnati Bengals.
Nationwide is one of the largest insurance and financial services companies in the world, focusing on domestic property and casualty insurance, life insurance and retirement savings, asset management, and strategic investments.
The Nationwide family includes:
Property and Casualty
- Atlantic Floridian Insurance Company
- Colonial County Mutual Insurance Company
- Crestbrook Insurance Company
- Lone Star General Agency
- Nationwide Affinity Insurance Company of America
- Nationwide Assurance Company
- Nationwide Corporation
- Nationwide Exclusive Agent Risk Purchasing Group
- Nationwide General Insurance Company
- Nationwide Indemnity Company
- Nationwide Insurance Company of Florida
- Nationwide International Underwriters
- Nationwide Lloyds
- Nationwide Mutual Fire Insurance Company
- Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company
- Nationwide Property and Casualty Insurance company
- Retention Alternatives Ltd.
- Veterinary Pet Insurance Company
- Whitehall Holdings, Inc.
- WI of Florida, Inc.
- THI Holdings (Delaware), Inc.
- Titan Auto Insurance of New Mexico, Inc.
- Titan Indemnity Company
- Titan Insurance Company
- Titan Insurance Services, Inc.
- Victoria Automobile Insurance Company
- Victoria Fire & Casualty Company
- Victoria National Insurance Company
- Victoria Select Insurance Company
- Victoria Specialty Insurance Company
- Allied General Agency Company
- Allied Group, Inc.
- Allied Property and Casualty Insurance Company
- Allied Texas Agency, Inc.
- AMCO Insurance Company
- Cal-Ag Insurance Services, Inc.
- CalFarm Insurance Agency
- Depositors Insurance Company
- Nationwide Document Solutions, Inc.
- Nationwide Insurance Company of America
- Nationwide Sales Solutions, Inc.
- Premier Agency, Inc.
- F & B, Inc.
- Farmland Mutual Insurance Company
- Nationwide Agribusiness Insurance Company
- DVM Insurance Agency, Inc.
- National Casualty Company
- Scottsdale Indemnity Company
- Scottsdale Insurance Company
- Scottsdale Surplus Lines Insurance
- American Marine Underwriters
- Insurance Intermediaries
- Western Heritage Insurance Company
Life Insurance, Retirement and Investment
- 1717 Advisory Services, Inc.
- 1717 Brokerage Services, Inc
- Nationwide Securities, LLC
- Gardiner Point Hospitality, LLC
- Life REO Holdings, LLC
- Nationwide Affordable Housing, LLC
- Nationwide Alternative Investments, LLC
- Nationwide Bank
- Nationwide Community Development Corporation, LLC
- Nationwide Financial Assignment Company
- Nationwide Financial Institution Distributors Agency, Inc.
- Nationwide Financial Services Capital Trust
- Nationwide Financial Services, Inc.
- Nationwide Financial Structured Products, LLC
- Nationwide Fund Advisors
- Nationwide Fund Distributors LLC
- Nationwide Fund Management LLC
- Nationwide Investment Advisors, LLC
- Nationwide Investment Services Corporation
- Nationwide Life Insurance Company
- Nationwide Life Insurance Company of Delaware
- Nationwide Life Tax Credit Partners 2007-A, LLC
- Nationwide Provident Holding Company
- Nationwide Retirement Solutions Insurance Agency, Inc.
- Nationwide Retirement Solutions, Inc.
- Nationwide Retirement Solutions, Inc. of Arizona
- Nationwide Retirement Solutions, Inc. of Ohio
- Nationwide Retirement Solutions, Inc. of Texas
- NF Reinsurance Ltd.
- NFS Distributors, Inc.
- Olentangy Reinsurance Company
- Pension Associates, Inc.
- Provestco, Inc.
- RCMD Financial Services, Inc.
- Registered Investment Advisors Services, Inc.
- TBG Aviation, LLC
- TBG Danco Insurance Services Corporation
- TBG Financial & Insurance Services Corp.
- TBG Insurance Services Corporation
- Washington Square Administrative Services, Inc.
- Audenstar Limited
- Corviant Corporation
- Nationwide Asset Management Holdings
- Nationwide Emerging Managers, LLC
- Nationwide Global Funds
- Nationwide Global Ventures, Inc.
- Nationwide Mutual Funds
- Nationwide SA Capital Trust
- Nationwide Separate Accounts, LLC
- Nationwide Variable Insurance Trust
- Newhouse Capital Partners, LLC
- Newhouse MD LLC
- Newhouse Special Situations Fund I, LLC
- NWD Asset Management Holdings, Inc.
- NWD Investment Management, Inc.
- NWD Management & Research Trust
- Riverview Alternative Investment Advisors, LLC
- Riverview International Group, Inc.
- The Healthcare Fund LDC
- National Casualty Company of America, Ltd.
- AGMC Reinsurance, Ltd.
- FutureHealth Corporation
- FutureHealth Holding Company
- FutureHealth Technologies Corporation
- Gates, McDonald & Company
- Gates, McDonald & Company of New York, Inc.
- GatesMcDonald Health Plus Inc.
- Intervent USA, Inc.
- Nationwide Advantage Mortgage Company
- Nationwide Asset Management, LLC
- Nationwide Better Health, Inc.
- Nationwide Cash Management Company
- Nationwide Global Holdings, Inc.
- Nationwide Management Systems, Inc.
- Nationwide Mutual Capital I, LLC
- Nationwide Mutual Capital, LLC
- Nationwide Private Equity Fund, LLC
- Nationwide Realty Investors, Ltd.
- Nationwide Realty Management, LLC
- Nationwide Services for You, LLC
Since 2004, Nationwide has continuously received a 100% rating each year on the Corporate Equality Index, which is released by the gay rights activist group Human Rights Campaign. Nationwide includes “sexual orientation” and “gender identity” in its equal employment opportunity policy, and provides diversity training to its employees on sexual orientation.
In 2008 Nationwide entered into an exclusive partnership with Tavis Smiley, including sponsorship of Smiley’s PBS television program as a provider of property and casualty insurance products. The sponsorship of the television program ended in 2011, but the partnership continues for other events and initiatives.
Nationwide’s internal collaboration platform “SPOT” is an advanced enterprise social media platform that combines Yammer and Sharepoint to provide a unified experience to Nationwide employees.
Mobile claims application
In 2009, Nationwide released Nationwide Mobile, a free iPhone application for Nationwide auto insurance customers and other iPhone users. The app is designed to assist drivers with the steps to take after an accident. It also helps Nationwide customers start the claims process, finds Nationwide-certified local repair shops, and facilitates the exchange of accident and insurance information. Nationwide was the first US insurer to offer such an application for the iPhone.
|Lee B. Palmer||1926–1928|
|George L. Cooley||1928–1939|
|Dimon McFerson||1992 - 2000|
|Jerry Jurgensen||2001 – 2009|
|Steve Rasmussen||2009 – Present|
Death Benefit Controversy
In October 2012, Nationwide paid $7.2 Million to resolve a prove of its payouts for death benefits in a probe lead by a multistate task force headed by Florida Insurance Commissioner Kevin McCarty. The task force stated that over $1 billion of death benefits was not paid to consumers by multiple companies, including Nationwide, MetLife, Prudential Financial, Inc., and Manulife Financial Corp, because of customers failure to file a claims report. The pact reached with the task force will commit Nationwide and other insurers to compare its records against the Social Security Death Index and conduct a search for beneficiaries. The language in life insurance policies make it clear that it is up to the beneficiaries to notify the insurer; however, few companies have fallen back on this argument due to public relations fallout.
Claims of Bad Faith
In June 2014, Nationwide was hit with an $18 million punitive damages award after a plaintiff proved the company "strong-armed its own policyholder rather than negotiating in good faith to compensate plaintiff for the loss suffered in an automobile collision.” 
- "Nationwide News Resources". Retrieved February 21, 2014.
- Nationwide. Nationwide Mutual Completes Nationwide Financial Services Transaction. Press release.
- Wolf, Barnet D. and Charlie Zimkus. "Made in Ohio." The Columbus Dispatch (OH) 17 Aug 2003: 01B. Print.
- Facts and Figures Nationwide.com
-  Fortune.com. 2014.
- "Columbus Children's Hospital Becomes Nationwide Children's Hospital". Nationwidechildrens.org. 2007-09-24. Retrieved 2011-12-27.
- Ryan, Nate (September 18, 2013). "Nationwide to end sponsorship of NASCAR's No. 2 series". USA Today. Retrieved September 18, 2013.
- Bruce, Kenny (May 2, 2014). "JUNIOR'S SPONSORSHIP PART OF NATIONWIDE 'EVOLUTION'". NASCAR. Retrieved May 2, 2014.
- "Crestbrook Insurance Expands into California, More States to Come".
- . Human Rights Campaign http://www.hrc.org/files/assets/resources/cei_2014_full.pdf. Retrieved 4 March 2014. Missing or empty
- "Tavis Smiley Hosts First On Your Side® Tour Stop with Nationwide Insurance". Black News. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- Kass, Kelly. "Nationwide Insurance hits the ‘spot’ with enterprise collaboration platform". Simply-Communicate. Retrieved 27 February 2014.
- Buckley, Christian. "Building a Social Platform with SharePoint and Yammer at Nationwide Insurance". CMSWire. Retrieved 27 February 2014.
- Ask, Julie. "Print Share FOR EBUSINESS & CHANNEL STRATEGY PROFESSIONALS Case Study: Nationwide Insurance Uses Mobile To Offer Customers Self Service On The Road". Forrester. Retrieved 27 February 2014.
- SCISM, LESLIE (October 11, 2012). "Nationwide Settles 'Death Benefits' Case". The Wallstreet Journal Online. Retrieved October 11, 2012.
- Mercado, Daria (May 19, 2011). "Insurance cops grill MetLife, Nationwide on death benefits". http://www.investmentnews.com. Retrieved October 11, 2012.
- SCISM, LESLIE (October 11, 2012). "Nationwide Settles 'Death Benefits' Case". The Wallstreet Journal Online. Retrieved October 11, 2012.
- Legal Intelligencer "Insurer Hit With $18 Mil. Punitive Damages Award". Retrieved June 24, 2014.
- Official website
- Gates McDonald Company
- Gates McDonald HealthPlus
- Insurance Intermediaries, Inc.
- Nationwide Series page on nationwide.com
- Nationwide Mobile app for iPhone