|Headquarters||Blair, NE, USA|
|Parent||Cargill; PTT Global Chemical|
NatureWorks LLC is a manufacturer of bioplastics — polymers derived entirely from annually renewable plant resources — replacing petroleum-based plastic in packaging materials, consumer goods and fiber products. The commercial quality polymer is made from the carbon found in simple plant sugars to create a proprietary polylactic acid polymer (PLA) which is marketed under the brand name Ingeo.
In 2001, NatureWorks LLC opened its manufacturing facility in Blair, Nebraska, USA. This is the first and largest PLA facility in the world and supplies NatureWorks' Ingeo biopolymer to markets across the globe. The Blair facility slated to increase its Ingeo nameplate capacity to 150,000 metric tons in the first quarter of 2013.
NatureWorks LLC offices are located in Minneapolis, the Netherlands, Japan, and Thailand.
Ingeo biopolymer bears the resin identification code 7 and can be chemically recycled, composted or landfilled. Ordinary home composts can not break down the polymer, although high-temperature commercial composting systems can.
NatureWorks hosts a conference called "Innovation takes Root", which brings together user of their Ingeo Polymer.
- 2002 Greener Reaction Conditions Award
- PTT Chemical invests $150M in NatureWorks, which heads for Thailand
- Changplayngam, Pisit; Ploy Ten Kate (2011-10-12). "Thai PTT Chemical pays $150 mln for NatureWorks stake". Reuters (Bangkok). Retrieved 2012-09-27.
- "Cargill acquires full NatureWorks ownership from Teijin". Packaging Digest. 2009-07-01. Retrieved 2012-09-28.
- NatureWorks Broadens Ingeo Product Portfolio with Sulzer Proprietary Production Equipment
- Chemical recycling closes the LOOPLA for cradle-to-cradle PLA
- Compostable Plastics 101
- Biodegradable Products are not major contributors to Methane Emissions from landfills
- Learn, Scott (2008-10-27). "Corn plastic sounds great, but it's tough to recycle and may foul systems". The Oregonian (Portland). Retrieved 2012-09-25.
- Innovation Takes Root